PATROL Y62 GVM UPGRADE

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 18:19
ThreadID: 141144 Views:15579 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,
this is a very quick question. all the four wheel drive shops raise the height of the vehicle when they do a g.v.m. up grade , I was just wondering if you can do a g.v.m upgrade on a y62 patrol without raising it.
I await your replies.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 18:31

Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 18:31
Broodie, I would ask that question of those shops that do the GVM upgrade as most if not all getting upgrade would want the 2" raise. Good luck
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635230

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 19:43

Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 19:43
Broodie.
A so called upgrade only provides a lift so when you load it up you still have at least some upward travel of suspension left for road conditions.
Alternatively, (I don't think anyone does this) you can fit much heavier springs so it can take the intended weight without excessive ride height loss from OE. Doing that would make the ride pretty damned hard when empty.
Springs to hold the weight up is one thing, suitable better performing shocks would be an essential part of it all, to control the additional mass the Nissan company never expected it to handle. The axles and independant suspension at both ends will be taking more than normal loading in rough work..
AnswerID: 635235

Reply By: Member - Brendan M - Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 20:33

Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 20:33
Had that done ! I was frustrated with the sag when I loaded my Adventure Camper onto my ST so went to the local 4x4 with the camper loaded, showed and explained the problem, handed over a few bucks, went for pick and was impressed. Heiver springs, THICK top plate in top of springs, sat level and looked great.
Done heaps of Ks all sorts of red dirt and enjoyed.
PS Reading on another thread the other day about the sag . They set it up with a few packers and worked well all be it for a short period.
All in all very happy with my ST 4.2 Patrol.
AnswerID: 635237

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 04:51

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 04:51
So Brendan...was this a certified GVM upgrade with a engineers approval?
FollowupID: 912772

Follow Up By: Member - Brendan M - Saturday, Feb 27, 2021 at 14:40

Saturday, Feb 27, 2021 at 14:40
No Bigfish it was not. I wasn't after an upgrade to carry any heavier weight than the vehicle was rated for.
FollowupID: 912826

Reply By: Jackolux - Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 23:03

Friday, Feb 26, 2021 at 23:03
On Track at 5/12 Malcolm Ct, Kealba VIC , do a GVM upgrade for the Y62 Patrol but it is a 2" lift
But they did say they on their FB page they are about to release a 300kg GVM upgrade that will be std height , sometime next month , there are no details of what involved or price yet .
AnswerID: 635266

Reply By: Member - Soft-Trailer - Monday, Mar 01, 2021 at 20:58

Monday, Mar 01, 2021 at 20:58
The Y62, other than the OnTrack lift, can also have a 180kg GVM upgrade through the use of air bags in the rear. It's the only other GVM increase. It's been done in QLD, NSW and VIC. I was in ACT when I owned one, and other than fitting the airbags, it would have cost around $1100 for the engineer certification.

It's a simple front axle plus rear axle = 180kg more, and using the bags you've changed enough for them to consider/ certify it.

I ended up not lifting mine. The clearance is phenomenal on them from the factory anyway (an LC200 with a 2" lift comes to the standard Y62 clearance).
Lachlan

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635337

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Mar 01, 2021 at 22:57

Monday, Mar 01, 2021 at 22:57
Hi Lachlan,
If I am reading this correctly you did not get an engineer's certificate and up grade plate to confirm the upgrade. is this correct. Also what you had done did you have any problems with the rear tyres scrubbing out because of the independent suspension. That was a serious problem of mine on the pathfinder Ti 550, the rear tyre would scrub out within10,000 klm's because of the independent suspension, and we did spend a lot of money to prevent it but nothing worked.
we sold the pathfinder and brought a ranger solved the problem.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912909

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 08:43

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 08:43
I have talked to a couple of engineers here in Vic the 180kg axle group GVM upgrade is not able to be done here in Vic all states are different .
I have changed my rear springs to Lovells HD springs it has lifted the rear to about 30mm above std height
these Patrol sag very easily with only light tow ball weights , I have had no problems with tyres scrubbing front or rear .
FollowupID: 912945

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 15:05

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 15:05
Hi Lachlan,
If I am reading your post correctly the rear springs are not the real issue with the patrol it appears to be the axle load on the rear of the patrol. I sent my figure to a friend of mine for eg: fuel=130 kg, recovery gear 120kg, tools 40kg, car fridge= 55kg spare wheel= 70kg approx, caravan on the tow ball 280kg, Kayak= 35kg, two e bikes =75kg. this is all on the back springs and axles.
correct me if I am wrong but it would seem if my wife and I got into the vehicle, at 200 kg for the two of us we would be over the axle weight for that vehicle, and that is my problem, and it would appear that all vehicles are in the same boat, or have I missed something.
thank you for your help .
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912950

Follow Up By: Member - Soft-Trailer - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 15:48

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 15:48
Hi Brodie,
Sorry for slackness. Bit busy!

Ref your first post, correct - I did not get the Engineers certificate, but have details in QLD and NSW that have it done. If you can stand the Y62 facebook page, do a search and it'll come up.

Regarding your weights... Couple of things;
1. Fuel at 130kg? Have you a long range tank? 1L of fuel does not equal 1kg - that's water. 140L of fuel is around the 105kg mark... so there's a saving for you right up.
2. 120Kg of recovery tools! I'd seriously weight that. I have two snatch straps, two blocks, tree protector, bridle, 40m of abseiling rope, 4 x soft-shackles, gloves and a Tirfor with 25m of rope and it's not close to that.

And are all these extra items (2 x e-Bikes, a Kayak, spare wheel and tools) all on the car, not on the caravan? Perhaps the bikes and or tools could be shifted? Put them in a place your 280kg tow ball down weight is maintained.

Buuuuuttt. At the end of the day - I can save you 25kg with the fuel at least. But yes, it's close to GVM when you load them up. They're actually one of the better ones - the new Defender appears to be the best at around 950kg payload. I did the following weight saving;

1. Camp chairs, stretchers etc from Helinox.com.au - not cheap, but there are plenty of knock-offs. EG, my camp chairs (x4) went from being a 25kg load to 5kg.
2. Get soft-shackles rather than steel D-shackles. They've come down a lot in price. If you want to keep the D-shackles, put them on the trailer. For four, there's another saving of around 5kg

Then there's other stuff (cutlery, plates, de-hyd packs etc)... it all adds up. I ended up being pretty well right on the weight (I didn't tow when heading off) of 3500kg... which is why the added 180kg or so would have been just perfect.
Lachlan

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912952

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 16:29

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2021 at 16:29
big oz explorers y62

search for the above and watch part 5

P.S.

We hit every track berm on recent trip as car is to low standard , however you can also slightly lower the car with smaller tyres as part of getting a minimum lift as Y62 has above average tyre size standard.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635360

Sponsored Links