4Runner V6 head gasket problems

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 13:04
ThreadID: 14120 Views:9901 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Im an unhappy owner of a 92 Toyota 4Runner V6 (Aussie model) who is facing over $3k worth of engine repairs due to a blown head gasket. I am aware of the design fault / known problems with the head gaskets/leaks but Ive contacted Toyota customer service and theyre not accepting any responsibility nor admitting that there was ever a program in place to replace faulty head gaskets. If anyone can assist me by giving me details of or more information on whether Toyota ran such a program called 'a special service campaign V06' (and hence accepted some responsibility for the problem) or have actually had their 4Runner repaired by Toyota at no cost due to this problem, then I want to hear from you. Particularly if this was relatively recently, say from 2000 onwards.

Im unhappy that Im going to be financially out of pocket due to a known manufacturing fault with the vehicle I purchased from a Toyota dealership with full Toyota service history - a faulty product deserves to be replaced by the manufacturer. Please help!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 14:19

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 14:19
Man that must suck, however it was a common problem with the earlier V6 4 Runners, I think you would be pushing ... up hill on a 12 year old vehicle to get any manufacture help I'm affraid. You never know though, spose there's no harm in trying. How long have you had the vehicle for, if less than 3 monhts, the dealer should be obligated to reapir it under the 3 month satutory warranty (or is that a WA thing?).
AnswerID: 65053

Follow Up By: Member - PatC - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 21:39

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 21:39
In QLD it depends on the age and mileage. Older cars or cars with higher milage get 1 month or 1000ks.
FollowupID: 326109

Reply By: Longy - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:48

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:48
Hi there,
I was curious about the problem with the V6 engine before I bought a 4runner last october. I first sought information from other 4runner owners, and they informed me that Toyota did do a recall and can check their database to see if the vechile you own has had the problem fixed.

I then emailed toyota australia asking what make and VIN numbers the recall was done on, and if I would still be able to get it completed if it was not done. They replied with yes and gave me the VIN's of the cars.

Lucky for me I bought a late 95 model and wasn't affected by it so I deleted the email. However, I remember then that I was thinking that it would be good of them to still cover it so long as it had not be done.

Toyota australia seemed more than happy to help. Just email and find out. If not I guess as Jeff Said you could be up .... creek without a paddle. But then again a new engine might not be such a bad thing with the car getting older and older...

Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 65062

Reply By: Unhappy 4Runner - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 17:06

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 17:06
Thanks both of you for you feedback on this issue.

Its a long shot, but you dont still have the list of the VINs Toyota sent you, so I can check if my vehicle was involved in this 'service campaign' (Ive been advised it was not a recall as such!). Did you contact them thru the website?

Im also an ex-emplopyee, so I will be pursuing this issue further and wont take their initial fob off from customer service.

Thanks again.

Regards 'Very Unhappy 4runner owner'
AnswerID: 65076

Reply By: Member - PatC - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 21:37

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 21:37
I don't have personal experience but a friend of mine has a 1992 V6 4runner that had the same work done under what his dealer called a "customer satisfaction guarantee" or some thing similar. His car had over 200,000km on the clock and I think it was done in 2001. I believe toyota backcharged the cost of the work to the gasket supplier and so they wheren't out of pocket.

I'll get in touch with my mate tomorrow and get back to you.
AnswerID: 65142

Follow Up By: Unhappy 4Runner - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:01

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:01
Hi PatC

Just following up to see whether you could possibly get more details from your mate regarding repair to his 4Runner....Id really appreciate it as Im getting the runaround from Toyota.

Thanks again
Unhappy 4Runner
FollowupID: 327398

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:00

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:00
Firstly how many miles have you done , and is it only a head gaket problem?
If its only a head gasket problem where in the hell do they get $3000 from, if you have to pay get some other quotes. At 12 years I think you will be on your own.
If it was a problem for toyota then this must have been one of the better ones that didnt go bung early enough, or if has been done perhaps it wasnt done properly.
AnswerID: 65201

Reply By: Croozer - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 00:15

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 00:15
I had a 92 SR5 V6 4 Runner which blew its head gasket in Jan 99 (a while ago, I know). After some fishing around by a mechanic mate of mine the car was sent to and repaired by Ryde Toyota in Sydney. From memory it had about 100k on the clockand the repair cost was picked up by toyota.

Stu
AnswerID: 65277

Reply By: Patroleum - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:27

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:27
Unhappy 4runner,

I can't believe you expect any warranty after 12 years.
I've never heard such a case.

Greg
AnswerID: 65382

Reply By: Unhappy 4Runner - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 13:05

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 13:05
Thanks for all your helpful feedback.

My car has done approx 195,000k and as it was purchased only 15mths ago from a dealer, Im thinking it may have been cheaply fixed by the dealer to get it sold.

I know its 12yrs old and has done a few klms, but I dont believe in coincidences...its no coincidence that there was a known fault with these engines and its now the ONLY thing wrong with this vehicle. I dont think that having to spend this amount of money to repair both the head gasket & block is consistent with 4runners kept in this gooda nick after only 15mth of resale! I paid top dollar as it was given it was from a dealership.

Im waiting to hear back from the person whose mate got his repaired under this campaign with over 200km on the clock.

Thanks again everyone.
AnswerID: 65499

Reply By: 85Runner - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 11:41

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 11:41
Interesting acticle guys, I was just doing google search looking for info on the 4Runner and stumbled across this site and article.
I have owned a 85 Runner for the last 12 years which is now pushing 400K and feeling more decayed with every extra 'k that it does...poor old girl...and i am looking to get into a later model..around '90 to '94.

I am trying to toss up between the V6 (with power) or 2.4 petrol (economy? cheap to rebuild) or the 2.8 diesel (economy, reliable, expensive to rebuild).

I would be interested in what the fuel econemy is like on the v6 Runners if someone can give me an idea ?

I have heard of a few nasty engine problems with the v6s and fuel economy not being to good either.. which has led me to shy away from the v6, but the thought of having a bit of grunt under the bonnet sounds good.

any opinions on the v6 or 2.4P or 2.8D would be helpful.

Sorry to but in to the conversation like this,just thought while we were on the subject of 4Runners.

Thanks
Tom

AnswerID: 68245

Sponsored Links