D'Tronic & New Car Warranty

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 14:54
ThreadID: 14123 Views:1732 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Does fitting one of these affect your new car waranty?

Thanks

TonyG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:01

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:01
Yes . . .

But they have to find it.
AnswerID: 65057

Reply By: Peter McGuckian - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:13

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:13
Tony,

An interesting question. I don't think you will get a clear answer form Nissan. My local dealer is looking at doing some trialing because they think it makes a sensible after market accessory. There are several example sof series 2 blown motors that had the Dtronic fitted and they have been replaced so there is a precedent. The proof of the puddin (sorry Bob) is in the eating though. Give it a try and it is hard to take it off. Makes a huge difference to the motor. And if you need to take it off before a service or warranty claim then it only takes a couple of minutes and no one would know it had been fitted.

Bye the way Roachie, only 21 days till we set off for our trip north - but who's counting?

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 65058

Follow Up By: flappan - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:23

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 15:23
"I don't think you will get a clear answer form Nissan. My local dealer is looking at doing some trialing because they think it makes a sensible after market accessory. "

Yeah you will . . . . it will not be covered by Warranty if Nissan know about it.

I think your local Nissan bloke is kidding himself , because Nissan Australia want nothing to do with it.

It is an aftermarket performance enhancement , that could "potentially" cause engine problems. WHY would Nissan allow it.

That said a LOT of blokes run them , from brand new . . . its a 5 minute job to fit them and are undetectable . . . apparently . . . I dont have one.
FollowupID: 326038

Follow Up By: gonebush - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 16:55

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 16:55
I'm with Flappan.........

...........and I do have one, removed b4 service and put back on after.

Same torque as 4.8 petrol and same torque/weight ratio as TD Cruiser.

Oooooooooooooh what a feeling :)
FollowupID: 326049

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:32

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:32
Peter,

Thanks for the reminder. I've gotta keep waiting another 2+ months; but it'll be worth it.

Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 326118

Reply By: brian - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 20:38

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 20:38
They are tracable after you remove them if nissan want to look
AnswerID: 65125

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:41

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:41
Your follow up is just text without data....

So how do you think they tell?

And secondly, the vehicle manufacturer has to prove the aftermarket acc caused the warranty issue, to free themselves from it, and the way 3.0 nissan engines have been popping, I doubt they would have a strong case to deny any engine warranty that happens to other nissans, because it has an aftermarket acc fitted.

FollowupID: 326134

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:15

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:15
Go Offroad,

"Your follow up is just text without data.... ". Another of your educated insults. Why didn't you just come out and say Brian you are a D!ckhead. Don't understand why you get stuck into people all the time, anyway I guess that's just you being you.

As for your legal advice, do you have any form of legal training to support this point of view?

Brian in fact has a very valid point. A chip is a modification to an electronic engine control unit, many of which have a memory whch is traceable. A chip may vary fuel/air ratios and affect boost to increase power and torque. If these are contrary to the manufacturer's specifications, the manufacturer may well claim that you have done the damage yourself and thus your warranty is void. I can't comment with any certainty as I'm neither an engineer nor a lawyer. However I will say that their is clearly SOME risk, and I wouldn't be taking that risk without professional advice.

Given that an engine rebuild at your own cost could be as much as ten grand, is it a risk worth taking?

Jim.
FollowupID: 326163

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:10

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:10
Jimbo said

Go Offroad,

"Your follow up is just text without data.... ". Another of your educated insults. Why didn't you just come out and say Brian you are a D!ckhead.

Because I obviously have more tact than do JIMBOB....

As for "legals", its a simple consumer protection law, that is commonly known, and easily researched, perhaps you should try it?

And you obviously dont understand how a performance enhancing unit works, a "chip" is different to other forms of enhancement, but if you did some more research on the net, you may find some facts and details there too likes of which can be explained here

techo terms of stuff for jimbob
FollowupID: 326169

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 13:49

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 13:49
You have no tact, you are constantly rude to people, albeit in your pseudo intellectual manner.

Go back to the top of the page and read the question again; will an afermarket chip affect your warranty?

I run a business involved in consumer law, although I am not a lawyer. I understand far more than you about the law, which I realised when you made the outrageous statement "its a simple consumer protection law".

There is no such thing as "simple" where the law is involved.

Anyway enough time wasted bickering with you. I don't know why I bother and I haven't for a while now. You're just a bloody know all, whom I will ignore in the future, except when, like in this case, you are rude to someone for no good reason.

Getting back to the point,

THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS; YES, AN AFTERMARKET CHIP MAY AFFECT YOUR WARRANTY. BE CAREFUL.

Jim.
FollowupID: 326174

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 14:06

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 14:06
And yes I did have a look at techo blurb.

I couldn't find the bit about them not affecting warranties. Maybe you could point that part out to me? Did I miss it? Or is it not there?

Jim.
FollowupID: 326178

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:17

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:17
Yes it May effect your warranty, very certain of you in caps an all jimbob....yes it will, yes it may, yes it wont....

And given your so good at covering old ground, if you read my first reply I said just as you did, but I added data to my text, by explaining how the manufacturer has to show cause, to not include warranty, something you could of covered given you state you work at this stuff for a living....

What did you give us, what you do for a crust, how you supposedly know more about it, and then told us what had already been said, and you still dont understand the concept of a dtronic, if you think they can tell it was installed, spend a bit more time maybe, and then you could make an informed comment, rather than a YES MAY.....

FollowupID: 326197

Reply By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:19

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:19
"their" should have read "there"
AnswerID: 65196

Sponsored Links