Spot Tracking Devices

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 19:01
ThreadID: 141248 Views:24683 Replies:13 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for recommendations on Spot tracker. We were looking for one that could be used as our EPIRB as well. Any info would be great with good and bad reports. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 19:31

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 19:31
I cannot help with SPOT but whatever you buy also get a PLB - is the absolute failsafe if all goes belly up.
AnswerID: 635581

Reply By: Merilyn H - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 19:40

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 19:40
We have just purchased one but my brother has had one for a couple of years. He is fanatical about safety and carefully researches before purchasing. We like the idea that we can check in with family regularly with a pre-formatted message that says we are okay and gives our location. There is a SOS function that contacts the Spot people in US who then contact search and rescue in Aus.
Newer, more expensive model allows you to Bluetooth your phone so you can send text messages from your phone (but expensive). This would be reassuring in the event of an emergency, you would know that someone was on their way. But I like going away to get away from everyone. The Spot Gen 4 was a compromise for me.
I believe EPRIBs need to be able to function when immersed in water. Spots don't work like this - but not really a problem if you're not in a boat.
AnswerID: 635582

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 21:44

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 21:44
You're right about EPIRBs, they're designed for marine use but can also be used on land.

For land based only, a PLB is sufficient. No flotation requirements, but a lower battery capacity and therefore will not radiate an emergency signal for as long as an EPIRB - but typically doesn't need to. Typically, land based emergency services can get to a land based emergency faster than marine based ones can get to a marine emergency.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913160

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 06:53

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 06:53
My SPOT, an early one, is waterproof.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 913164

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:03

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:03
Anything for safety is never money wasted.

We have been using the SPOT 3 for around 4 years or so and love the fact that family and friends can track your progress in virtually real time.

Yes do have the SOS button for life threatening situations as well as 2 other programable button that will send the messages that you have set up.

I also carry PLB’s, but unlike them, people following you will know where you are, where as a PLB is a must carry as well, but will only tell authorities were you are when they are activated.

I believe there is now a new SPOT 4, but sorry can not tell you anything about them.

Safe Travels
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635583

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:06

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:06
Hi Redtailblack
I would agree with Ozzie here ...... no matter what, have a PLB.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 635584

Reply By: maurice b - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:29

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:29
Spot device's. Nothing will happen if you press sos without a subscription. That’s for sure. For the connection costs I would choose a Satphone and a PLB if your really concerned of your saftey.
AnswerID: 635587

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 22:12

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 22:12
It would be helpful if someone could mention the cost of setting up spot.
FollowupID: 913161

Reply By: Member - Redtailblack - Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:50

Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 at 20:50
Thanks everyone for information . Yep good advice so will buy the Spot for family tracking us and a PLB for safety. Mate has a PLB but sometimes we might be apart.
AnswerID: 635589

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 04:02

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 04:02
I have a Garmin InReach tracker that has numerous functions all involved one handheld device.
It is described on this site better than I can. There are various levels of subscription.
After talking with AMSA staff I know, I am very comfortable with this device.
https://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/inreach-se-plus/
Duncan
AnswerID: 635590

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:49

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:49
I have had a Garmin in reach for some years now. Uses the iridium satellite network as the spot uses the ageing thuraya network. Communication is good with the inReach as you can text through the Garmin app on your phone and it also tracks for family. PLB is yes conscription so if travelling then subscription would be activated.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

FollowupID: 913198

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:20

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:20
Mark,

I think you'll find Spot uses the re-vitalised Globalstar network with its newly launched (2017?) constellation of 24 satellites.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913204

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 07:15

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 07:15
Coverage is always improving but in the past there have been coverage issues for spot in the northern part of Australia. The Garmin Inreach system runs off a different private satellite array and I’d recommend them over spot in that part of the world. Neither are a PLB and never will be. Different things.
AnswerID: 635592

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 07:57

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 07:57
You say there has been coverage issues with SPOT in the norther parts of Australia?

Is this first hand knowledge or say so?

We have used our SPOT from Kununurra, through to Nhulunbuy and right to the tip of Cape York and no issues at all.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913166

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 17:13

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 17:13
Spot runs on the Globalstar satellite system - in fact, useless factoid, Spot is owned by Globalstar.

Spot and Globalstar phones use different parts of the Globalstar system. The phones use Globalstar's duplex service, while Spot and other data services provided by Globalstar use simplex.

The coverage for the two is different, with Globalstar's duplex being poor in northern Australian latitudes, while its simplex has uniform coverage throughout the continent. Hence Stephen's (and my) satisfactory result with Spot and my poor result with my Globalstar phone, prompting me to off-load it :-(
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913220

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 17:36

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 17:36
Apparently there are both simplexing and duplexing spots now. Not sure if the duplexers are available in Australia but they are in other markets. Surely very soon there will be total coverage for both, they are launching new satellites all the time now.
FollowupID: 913222

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 14:33

Monday, Mar 22, 2021 at 14:33
Here is the Globalstar and Spot coverage map:

Coverage map

According to it, Australia is fully covered. However, the statement at the bottom of that page is worth reading.
FollowupID: 913386

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:04

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:04
Not sure if I am a little naive, but considering this discussion is on ExplorOz who provide a free tracking service for members , which can be shared with family & friends who can see where you are on an online map at any time .... why the need for an additional service to do the same thing? We have a PLB & a Satphone.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 635594

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:09

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:09
Cuppa, as far as I know, I need to link my SPOT to the ExplorOz tracking system to follow my .journey, not sure if there is another device ExplorOz have to do the same function as SPOT
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 913169

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:17

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:17
Hi John, when we’ve used the tracking we have just used our phone (or ipad) which we have the ExplorOz Traveller app installed on . In the apps settings just ‘enable tracking’. Any phone or tablet with built in GPS will work.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 913171

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:31

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:31
Correct John,

I have also linked my SPOT to ExplorOz Tracking and it shows up in my profile.

Cuppa, like many people I do not have the ExplorOz Traveler App and only run OziExplorer on my laptops and HN7, and without using my SPOT, there is no other way of sharing my travelling details on the ExplorOz site.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913172

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 18:13

Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 18:13
Had SPOT for a few years and it worked ok. Have now moved to Garmin inreach, main reasons were:

Easy text messaging, via phone, can down load maps to the unit and use it as a GPS, 12V power lead to recharge unit. Can disconnect and reconnect as required.

SPOT had a habit of making units obsolete even if they still worked ok on the network, this meant you could not disconnect when you weren't using the unit as they would not reconnect the unit again.

Current spot models may also have some of these features now.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 635597

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 08:08

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 08:08
Leigh, can you connect the Garmin Inreach to the tracking on ExplorOz or does it have its own tracking?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 913195

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:51

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:51
Garmin has own tracking.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

FollowupID: 913199

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:58

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:58
This is what can be done with the inReach tracker
FollowupID: 913201

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 16:51

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 at 16:51
Duncan, that seems to be an excellent tracker, just a tad better than SPOT. Will be researching InReach me thinks. Thanks.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 913219

Reply By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 11:52

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 11:52
Mere fact you need to pay for access even to use for emergency use is a big issue for me.

If I'm in a proper emergency situation I want something that will work and activate without myself having to worry about if its been paid or not.

I'm more inclined to have a normal PLB ideally one with GPS signal. and then if I need to send messages for not so critical situation have a sat phone esp if out bush where normal phone doesn't work.

said that I started looking at a sat sleeve from thuraya but as phones are being updated all the time firmware the sat sleeve has been left behind compatibility wise.

I still need to replace the 10 year old + PLB though before end of April.

Just need winning lotto numbers now !
AnswerID: 635637

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 10:17

Thursday, Mar 18, 2021 at 10:17
All PLBs have a GPS signal embedded - thats how authorities know where to send rescue assets.
FollowupID: 913285

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 21:49

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 at 21:49
It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend many thousands of dollars on a travelling setup and baulk at the cost of equipment that could save their lives.

The number one bit of equipment that gives you the best protection is a Spot device. It should be with yourself when ever you are away from civilisation. A good definition of this is more than 30 kilometres from an ambulance depot.
A Spot device is the best item to have if you have an accident or some medical emergency that renders you incapacitated. You will not be able to set it off, but when you are missed it will pin point exactly where you are located. Not having to search for you will not only save time which could mean your life, but it eliminates the dangers to a search party. If you are able you can activate the emergency button which will see help come in the shortest possible time. Sat phones and text messaging devices are useless if you are unconscious or you cannot get to, or use the device.

The number two bit of equipment is the sat phone. If you are able to use it in an emergency you can give details of the emergency which enables a more targeted response.

The third is a text capable device.

The Spot device is also a tracker sending your position every five minutes. It uses satellites to communicate your position and is very reliable. I have been using one for well over 10 years and it has always been 100% accurate and timely. It works all over Australia from Darwin to Hobart, and Cape York to Perth. The tracking capability I have found to give great comfort to my family knowing exactly where I am all the time. I would recommend using the spotwalla website to display the tracking information as it is a lot more user friendly than the Spot website.

With the Spot device you pay a subscription which many feel is expensive. I am retired and want to enjoy my retirement, so when it comes to my personal wellbeing, money does not come into it.

A Spot device has several emergency buttons. The red SOS button alerts the Spot company in America who then notify the Australian Maritime Safety Authority in Canberra which all happens within a minute. AMSA will do what checking it can an respond in the appropriate way. This red SOS button should only be used in life threatening situations not things like a mechanical breakdown. The other button sends a predetermined message to nominated people, usually your family who can organise your rescue.

A few years ago on a club trip in outback WA a member did not return from a walk. An emergency was declared by ringing 000 as a fellow trip member had a sat phone. An Orian aircraft with heat seeking equipment flew from Canberra with no luck. The next day a helicopter was used again with no luck. There where human search parties and many aboriginal men and women who came from various communities. In the end it was a local aboriginal who directed the police to where she was eventually found some 36 hours later at the bottom of a cliff. If she had been carrying a Spot device much cost and risk to the searchers would have been avoided, not to mention the anxiety that her family and travelling companions where subjected to for 36 hours. I leave to your imagination but you do not want to be in an incapacitated state for too long in a country which has things such as dingos, crocodiles, eagles etc.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 635660

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:30

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 08:30
A little tip from a long time user.

I have a Spot 3 Tracker and it works very well, including the ability to link it to Exploroz Tracker.
Nearly had a coronary last year when the renewal cost for one years subscription for satellite access was over $300.
After a bit of investigation I discovered an option to set up a flexi account whereby you can activate and suspend access on a monthly basis. A much cheaper option and the one I now use.

I previously had a GME personal EPIRB, but when the battery life expires, the cost of battery replacement is the same as buying a new EPIRB. Maximum life is about 7 years. The Spot device uses replaceable AAA lithium batteries (4) and last for more than 40 days continuous use.

The Spot tracker does all that a standard EPIRB does plus a lot more. Once you decide which annual account fees suit your needs, the Spot is a very good and very compact device to provide both an emergency SOS facility and non emergency family/friend tracking so your family and friends that you provide a tracking link to, can follow your progress on ExplorOz Tracker and Spot Tracker sites.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 635786

Sponsored Links