Deleting the old EOtopo mapset after downloading the new mapset

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 at 19:15
ThreadID: 141318 Views:5305 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just a heads up to anyone thinking of downloading the new 2021 EOtopo maps.

If you think that you will not need to keep the old maps as well as the new (& having seen both side by side now I can't think of any reason to hang on to the old (at least not on my iPhone XS or 6th Gen Ipad) you might want to consider deleting the old *before* downloading the new.

Reason I suggest this is that there are two ways to delete the maps & one is a cleaner more reliable method.

You can delete 'manually', deleting each of the 5 map packs, one at a time. This is what I did & ran into a small problem. One pack, although letting me delete those remaining said that it was still 'partially installed'. When looking at the storage on the ipad , even though 'deleted' the ipad was still telling me Exploroz Traveller was taking up 9.87Gb, (same size as when both mapsets were installed). The new maps were working just fine though. In a brief but very helpful & clear contact with Michelle, I was told what to do to rectify the issue by using a second method of deleting maps. In Settings one of the options lower down the page is CLEAR MAPS DB. In my case I used this which as it says clears *all* maps, & then re-downloaded the new mapset a second time. All good & now the ipad reports Traveller is using 5.26Gb.

So if you are sure you wont want to keep the old maps I suggest you delete the old ones using the CLEAR MAPS DB first, that way you don't risk a partial deletion of the old & a misreading of the program size by your machine & needing to download the new maps twice.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Dusta - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2021 at 16:46

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2021 at 16:46
i had no issues installing the new maps and then deleting the old ones, but then again i don't have a crapple device so i don't have any issues :)

AnswerID: 635806

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2021 at 20:04

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2021 at 20:04
Yes this issue is very dependent on the device, ie. processor speed but this is the workaround for people that do get stuck with a device that isn't playing fair.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913500

Sponsored Links