D Tronic

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 19:31
ThreadID: 14134 Views:1466 Replies:6 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I drove GU2 3l with a d tronic and was rather unimpressed. Felt a little better down low but not much difference up the rev range. Turbo seemed to be on a little earlier and felt smoother. I didn't feel it 'kick in' like on my vehicle. Is this as good as they get?
Was interested that Bob L memtioned that his new replacement 3l was more responsive. Maybe that's what I am feeling with the turbo noticibly coming in?
Is there a difference with the D Tronics that came out a few years ago the ones now? Firmware updates etc?

Just my observations really.

Leroy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 21:35

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 21:35
"Is this as good as they get?"

No, they blow up too :)~
AnswerID: 65140

Follow Up By: Leroy - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:23

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:23
Never heard of a blown D Tronics Truckstrer.....

Leroy
FollowupID: 326187

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 19:33

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 19:33
I meant 3.0's
FollowupID: 326222

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:46

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:46
Yeh I know but I cant give you the satisfaction of letting you know I know!! hehe

Leroy
FollowupID: 326419

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:25

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:25
Leroy
You have me confused with someone else.
No what I really meant is that I still have A GU 2.8 and the little lady has informed me I have no plans to upgrade now or ever.
Either I've been misquoted or I've got a double.

Cheers Bob L
AnswerID: 65153

Follow Up By: Leroy - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:25

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:25
Ah no the other Bob, Bob!

Leroy

PS Disappointed about the little lady's plans lol
FollowupID: 326188

Follow Up By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:10

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 16:10
He mean me
FollowupID: 326462

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:29

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:29
Hi Leroy,

I know what you mean, the down low response seems good, but up top doesn't seem any better. But thats because it has ~20% more power across the whole rev range and its a "seamless" delivery.

The best way to "see" the top end difference is to do a roll-on test with and without the Dtronic. While the seat of the pants doesn't notice the difference, the stopwatch certainly does.

The most noteable difference I found was that I could back my van up the drive in low range at idle with the Dtronic whereas before it would either stall or I had to slip the clutch or reverse way too fast.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 65154

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 14:36

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 14:36
Captain (WA)
After looking at your numerous responces over a period of time I have come to the conclusion that you would have to be one of the most one eyed individuals around when it comes to your precious GU3 Patrol. When ever someone happens to bag it with some facts you immediately raise your shackles and jump down their throat. I know you have had a 60 series and a 80 series cruiser and I bet you were the same with them also untill your recent purchase. I personally drive a 60 series diesel cruiser with an after Turbo and I bet it will blow the arse off your Nissan. ( 118 kw). Now if I want more performance I happen to have a little old BA XR8 in the garage for blokes like you in case the cruiser wants to run on 5 pots. Now get off your high horse and allow others their opinion!. Have a nice day.
FollowupID: 326181

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:02

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:02
Hi Chris

Sorry that you are so upset about my responses. I don't believe I bag anyone with FACTS, but there are just so many posts where people use heresay and present them as facts (not just the 3.0TD, but so many other vehicles/accessories as well). This simply compounds the rumours and soon one cannot tell fact from rumour.

I follow the series III 3.0TD closely, obviously because I have one, but so I know of any potential problems with it, not to try and cover up any faults (and believe me, it has some). Maybe I come across as defensive of the 3.0TD, but thats not the aim. But, I do not apologise for trying to sort facts from rumours.

Now I do NOT think the 3.0TD is the "best" 4WD ever made, far from it in fact. But it does currently suit MY needs better than any new 4X4 on the market. If you had been following my previous posts, you may recall that IMHO the "best" 4WD made was the 4.2 turbo 80 series (for my purposes, others will obviously differ). But you cannot get one now (new).

As for you "blow the arse off" my 3.0TD, good on you. I am not into fast cars now (used to own a HTD Director many moons ago, but prefer 4x4's these days). I was simply suprised to beat the mighty 4.5 80 series petrol, thats all. I was more shocked that anyone.

I welcome peoples different opinions, thats what makes this forum so great. Hell, there is such a diversity of 4X4s out there, wouldn't it be boring if we all drove the same one. But I probably do get my shackles raised when someone presents heresay as facts. Look, many people hate the 3.0TD and, as their opinion, thats fine. But yes, my shackles go up when they present heresay as facts.

I do genuinely hope you have a nice day.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 326186

Follow Up By: Leroy - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:29

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:29
"But thats because it has ~20% more power across the whole rev range and its a "seamless" delivery. "

Maybe I was just expecting too much. I don't need to go to the extent of timing myself, I just expected a bit more accross the rev range not just that little down low.

Leory
FollowupID: 326190

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:30

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 22:30
Leroy.
You are right, the early Dtronics were a lot more noticable. The later ones have a milder function they revert to the standard tune when the motor gets to operating temperature, Nissan is getting sick of replacing motors blown up by Dtronics units and have taken legal advice on Dtronics. A lot of owners think that Nissan are a bunch of dead heads that dont know whats going on, but they have hired some top engineers, Nissan have to choose between the dangers of publicity from a court case and cost of fixing the damage done by these units. Eric.
AnswerID: 65155

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:15

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:15
What a load of crap- "...they revert to the standard tune when the motor gets to operating temperature...". If that was the case, there would not be any benefit once warm and obviously you have not driven one often to notice.

As for "...Nissan is getting sick of replacing motors blown up by Dtronics units...", show me ONE series III 3.0TD that has a blown motor that has a Dtronic.

If you have some FACTS, fine, but otherwise stick to what you know, not rumour or inuendo. Sick of the "my brothers uncles mates auntys dogs firend..." had a problem and ...

Captain
FollowupID: 326128

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:35

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:35
Well said captn,
I can tell you of at least 2 series 3 blow ups with dtronics fitted, though nissan dont know they were, but I know of 4 other 3.0 series 3 that have blown up also, same problem as series 1 3.0's, and one series 3 was less than 10,000km....

If you want to see what a difference the dtronic makes after being fitted,a nd you think its isnt enough, drive the car with the dtronic taken out for a day ;-)
FollowupID: 326133

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:53

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 23:53
Sorry Off-road, but you claim to know of 6 series III 3.0TD blow ups!!! Well, I have yet to hear of one CONFIRMED case in Australia. Yours are all "my mates brothers uncle again...", long on rumour and short on facts.

I am genuinely wanting to hear of ANY series III blow-ups that can be confirmed (eg. the OWNER, not the friends brothers mate again...) , simply to know how reliable my vehicle is.

Also you talk about the series one 3.0TD, but there is NO such beast!!! Perhaps the series 3's you refer to are actually series two? That would make far more sense and fit in with all the proven cases of engine failure I have discovered so far.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 326138

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:30

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:30
Sorry Captn, but unlike you, I have no purchase to justify, and the series 3's I have seen, have been in at the dealer being fixed, so perhaps before you get on your high horse, and tell me I dont know what a series 3 looks like, in future, you should just ask afew of the bigger dealers shops how many they have fixed......
FollowupID: 326151

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:25

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:25
Hi Go-offroad,

I wasn't the one who refered to a series I 3.0TD, you were. (only 2.8TD's came with series I GU's). Having already got one model vehicle wrong that has a different engine, how can one trust you can tell the differnce between a series II and a series III, they have the same size engine.

As for asking the dealers, the owners who are getting their series II 3.0TD relaced cannot get a straight answer, doing you really think a dealer will answer a cold call about any problem about any vehicle?

Have a nice day

Captain
FollowupID: 326165

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:13

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:13
So a series 2 nissan had a series ? 3.0 engine, being it was the first 3.0 we got, the engine was series one of 3 also now, in attempted repairs.

As for you not getting the right answers from a dealer, maybe your not asking the right questions ;-)
FollowupID: 326171

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:25

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:25
Hi Go_offroad,

There is a lot of confusion over what model is what, I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or just not sure about the models. Not trying to offend here :)

The series I was the 6 cyl 2.8TD, the series II was the first of the 4 cyl 3.0TD (later series II received "upgraded sump"). The series III was the factory upgraded 3.0TD motor and has numoures mechanical differences (including wiring harnass and ECU). Some people refer to all GU's after the introduction of the 4.2TD intercooler as the series IV, but this is not correct IMHO.

Also some incorrectly refer to late model series II that have "upgraded sump" from new (ie. not recalled) as the series III. This causes a lot of confusion when trying to find out about engine failures. Some owners genuinely believe they have a series III engine, yet its simply the upgraded series II model. When it does blow, its chalked up as a series III failure, which it is not. This is one reason why its hard to sort the facts from the heresay, not because I'm trying to bag anyone who does hear of problems.

The series II 3.0TD has many issues but they are supposedly corrected on the series III. So far, I have yet to find a series III failure like the series II - the burnt/holed #3/4 piston. There have been one-off failures on series III, but none to-date of the all too frequent blown pistons of the series II.

Cheers

Captain

FollowupID: 326189

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:20

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:20
I understand, and it gets confusing for those who dont really know the updates, but, the ones I were talking about were all latest version 3.0, all at same dealer, all same problem, all between 10k km and 76k km.

I went there to look at them after they had been taken to the dealer, they had 3 in there at one time, the others one at a time.
FollowupID: 326198

Follow Up By: hoffy - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:26

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:26
Hi GO OFFROAD,
Ihave to agree with Captain. The 3.0l donk was first introduced in the Series2 GU not in series1.
You may be confusing the Model upgrades and motor upgrades.
You won't find a series 1 with a ZD30.
series 3 did not come on the scene till around Oct 2001.
Cheers
Hoffy
FollowupID: 326199

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:44

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:44
Hi Go-Offroad,

While I don't doubt you saw the series III in at the dealers, I do find it hard to comprehend that "...all at same dealer, all same problem..." with blown motors. I would dearly love to get some facts on this, particularly if they are indeed blown motors on a series III.

But most often it comes down to an EGR valve, an air flow meter or some other problem that, while stopping the vehicle, doesn't "blow" the motor as per the series II problem.

So, while I do not doubt your sincerity or that you saw stranded series III 3.0TD's, I can't yet chalk this up as the Australian first of a blown (as in #3/4 piston holed) series III 3.0TD, particularly as you saw "...3 in there at one time..."

I hope you do not take offence at this, but this is why I genuinely try to get the facts on the actual problems, not just a generic "blown motor" when its actually some other component that stops the motor from running (EGR's are perhaps the most common, closely followed by air flow meters - particuarly if they were aftermarket oiled ones).

If I hear of a confirmed "blown" motor on a series III, I will be the first to put it up on this forum. While some think I am one eyed on this subject (perhaps I am :), I like to think I am just trying to find the facts.

Cheers and thanks for your posts.

Captain

FollowupID: 326217

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 23:25

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 23:25
Perhaps I should of taken a picture for you 8-)

I saw them, heads off, pistons out on 2, and one head off, broken piston still in the bore.

I guess this means it wasnt egr or AFM ;-)

BTW this dealer is pretty big, and does alot of the 3.0 fixes.
FollowupID: 326271

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:41

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:41
Hi Go-Offroad,

Hmm... normally the whole engine is replaced, pistons are not removed once the heads off and problem is identified. This does not follow previous patterns. It would be great if you can get some pictures, this will provide confirmation. But otherwise, let me know the dealer, the approximate date you saw these and I will contact pronto to confirm.

As stated earlier, I am trying to find a case of series III failure, but so far all leads have turned out to be other issues. Lets see where this takes us.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 326320

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:45

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:45
Dont worry,
the first few were disassembled to check the issue, as no one was believing it was the same issue at head office either.

Im sure if you ring around some of the bigger dealers in Vic, it wont take long to find out who, what where, but maybe try speaking with spare parts, not service, about what parts have come in for customer cars ;-)
FollowupID: 326323

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:54

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:54
Hi Go-Offroad,

If you saw them at a dealer, what was THAT dealer? Being from WA, I have no idea who are big Vic dealers. I am more than willing to ring them, just let me know the dealer you saw them at and approximately the time period.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 326326

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:59

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:59
Sorry, not on a public domain,
but they have been over the last 3 months.
FollowupID: 326330

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 15:08

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 15:08
Hi Go-Offroad,

I am not wanting to seem doubtful or anything, but whats the problem saying which dealer you saw a vehicle being fixed at?

Take a look at it from my point of view. I have tried finding ANY case of series III failure over a time period, you suddenly report six at one dealership, three at the same time, them won't even mention the dealer.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 326333

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:22

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:22
You would need to know my involvement I guess to understand why, but its becoming obvious why you havent found any series 3 issues as yet, because no one has parked one in your driveway for you to look at, and save you going out and actually researching, or finding any.....
FollowupID: 326351

Reply By: Peter McGuckian - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:07

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:07
This all makes really interestng reading. I agree 100% with Captain. I follow the 3,0tdi issues closely and my dealer has not done a motor replacement on a series 3 motor. All problems have been with series 2. It was Bob and Lex who commented on the new motor + dtronic.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 65230

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 23:05

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 23:05
Hi Captain,
I hope you got your suspension sorted.
This is to inform those who are interested,that I lodged a complaint with the consumer affairs in Victoria ,claiming that Nissan owed me an explanation as to what modifications were carried out on the 3.0 litre motor that they replaced earlier this year(holed 3+4 pistons).
Like many others I have written to many publications,and Nissan, but the security on this issue would do credit to ASIO.
I look forward to the response,but expect the standard explanation,sump to small ,recall etc, now OK.(this is crap as most owners know).
Also is of interest is that I leave for WA tomorrow towing a 17ft van,am I nervous?you bet.
All it would take is for Nissan to come clean on the problem with the early motors to provide relief to the current and retrofitted owners.
Please support each other and keep the pressure on Nissan for an honest answer.
Regards
AnswerID: 65271

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:51

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:51
Hi fourstall2000,

Still trying to get the USA mob trucksprings.com to get a landed price for me. Many others on this forum have used them, their web page prices are heaps cheaper than local equivalents.

As you now have the series III engine, I am sure you will be fine. I tow my van, it has the Dtronic and so far very good. While there is a lot of doom and gloom around, I am still trying to confirm any case of series III failure (pretty obvious by the above threads).

Glad to see you are also trying to get more info from Nissan. I would love to see their database of all warranty claims, but it would be easier to meet Elvis than see Nissans database!

Have a great trip, hope to maybe see ya in WA. I'd be more nervous with a 100 series front diff going offroad than a series III engine ;-)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 326325

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:57

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 14:57
The front diff is an easy fix, and wont disable the vehicle ;-)
FollowupID: 326329

Sponsored Links