The Big Trip

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 01:30
ThreadID: 14140 Views:1874 Replies:6 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
This old fella is going on a Big Trip in September. Have been planning it for a while but had to wait for other developments to pan out.

From Peterborough to Balcanoona, Mt Hopeless, Strzelecki, Innamincka, Coongie, Cordillo, Birdsville, Simpson Crossing(there is till a bit I haven't done), Alice, Papunya, Sandy Blight Junction, CSR, Ruddall River NP, Talawanna Track, Eagle Highway, part of Anne Beadell Hwy, Connie Sue Hwy, down the beach through Nuytsland Reserve to Israelite Bay and on to the South West for a quick look-see and then back home across the Nullarbor.

Hope I have enough money for fuel! Leaving here first week of September. Travelling solo at the moment but waiting for a mate to tell me if he is coming along. Will probably be away about 6 to 8 weeks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 06:58

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 06:58
Now Willem - you must be wanting to catch up with us somewhere on the trip. In September we are going to Corner Country and down into the Flinders to Peterborough to visit friends - or that was our plan. ahahahhahaha.

I thought that you were going shortly to some joint - or is that another trip. If you run out of money for fuel, give me a hoy - might get you to do some jobs on the road - say - wash the car, set up camp for us, entertain the kids for a day, cook a roast in the camp oven, massage Jens neck, sing us a few songs, tell a few tales, icecream and prickly pear - in exchange for a Jerry of fuel... haha

Andrew.

In fact - if you are alone - how would you like three kids for a month........??????
AnswerID: 65183

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:59

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:59
Hi Andrew and Jen

Judith will be home as long 4x4 trips are not her 'thing' any more. There may be some PP juice left but when I am away you will have to pay top dollar for the priviledge!!!

Yes still going to the Flinders on 8 July to house sit for 6 weeks. Then after that, off on the Big Trip.

Luckily I have no room for three kids :-) Looking at the job discription I think I'll give it a miss and rather apply for a Credit Card.

Looks like we will miss each other this time around.....:-)))
FollowupID: 326206

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:02

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:02
Does this mean you will not be in Robe in October / November .

I think the dates were , 29 oct till 2 Nov
AnswerID: 65187

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:40

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:40
Eric,

hope we will make it there at that time. I thought it was going to be the next week so that one is better.

Got the computer mount photos up too now at Images on yahoo using the ball mount you suggested. Took some extra work and thought though.
FollowupID: 326154

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 09:43

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 09:43
well done mate , looks good . Did you think of doing it withought the arm , by lifting the ball slightly ? or do you prefer it out in front ?
FollowupID: 326159

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:55

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:55
Eric,

I thought the reason to have the computer there is to use it and see it. It can be used by the passenger for typing or entering data or reading easily. It can be swivelled to the driver but that tends to impinge on the passengers arm space as the swivel point is to the side of centre intentionally. It was meant to be for the navigator.

The ball height is a little lower than I intended with it bolting hard into the carpet but that has meant it uses the armrest as its suspension component. Not the most desirable you may say, but the compression of the plastic foam does give a delightful float, even though the cab and vehicle may have hit a very bad hole, may be in turmoil.

When vertical out of the way the computer swivels away from the roof of the cab and hangs away from headrests.

What is not shown there is the flat 300mm octopus strap I use with some wetsuit material to pad it to hold the laptop in place. It actually sits on a disused mousemat. It never looked like moving off its pad while we travelled the near 5000 kms.

I know a couple of fellows have looked at the pics anyway since I put it up. The RAM mount I used was designed for a marine antenna mount and we have just silver soldered the stainless tube into it.
FollowupID: 326168

Follow Up By: Alex Callaghan - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 13:49

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 13:49
John R,
Good job on the computer mount. Looks very practical.

May I ask John what breed of wheel carryer it is that suits your tray back? Is that a custom job? Or modified Kaymar?
Reason I ask is I've just had a duel cab conversion done to my Cruiser and the ol' Kaymar carrier is no good for my truck now. I've been racking the grey matter for about a week now as how to include a swing arm carrier to the tray without impeding on the rear drop side. Any info would be great. Cheers.

Willem,
Sounds like a pearla trip. Even better If ya mate descides to go with. Hope you have a good one and most of all a safe one.

All the best!
FollowupID: 326175

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 14:25

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 14:25
Alex.

Sorry it is a custom job. The mount is a piece of pressed steel with two bolts through each side and a locking nuts with padlocks. The steel is big enough to hold the rim with the tyre kept away from the actual cab rear... If the box is off the back I have a bolt that holds the wheel in the tray which is not that good though.
FollowupID: 326180

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:05

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:05
'Lo Eric

I should be back from the trip by then. Dunno I might be sick of driving and need a break. Have to come down to Melbourne hopefullu before the end of the year so if I miss you at Robe I will catch up in the Big Smoke. End October is still a looooooong time away and a lot of water had to run into the sea before that.....:-)
FollowupID: 326209

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:35

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:35
Willem,

am indeed envious of the itinerary you have there so I hope all your planning goes well and we will catch up at some time we head Flinders diection again. Trust you two will not be this way before then.

Willem, there as you say will never be a dull moment.
AnswerID: 65190

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:11

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:11
John

We will be down at Anglesea once the property sells. I am not expecting it to sell till September/October-ish. If I am here alls well other wise Judith will have to go down on her own to sort things out.

Apart from a couple of permits to get the trip is organised. My truck is permanently packed as you have seen. Just have to throw in clothes,tucker and fuel. Need two new front shockies and a grease all round. That's about it. Looking forward to getting out in to the remote country.
FollowupID: 326211

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:51

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 08:51
Willie........

If there's one thing in life I must do, it's to learn from the master how to get a leave pass that long.

Lucky bugger!!!

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 65191

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:22

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:22
He obviously looks after her Lone wolf...not like you and I eh?
FollowupID: 326164

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:44

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:44
Richard,
I think you've got it all wrong, mate.
The opposite is true......Willie makes himself sooooo hard to get on with that Judith actually SENDS him off on these sabaticals so she can re-gather her sanity.
Lonie; this is where you've been going wrong too....somebody already gave you the best advice of a lifetime a few days ago... just keep hassling her for your conjugal-rites (4 times a day should work pretty well, I reckon) and you'd get a 6 month leave pass within a week I reckon. hahahahaha.
Good luck

Now to you, Willie......Mate, that's a bloody long way you're gunna be goin'. How many jerrys did you say you can fit on that pack rack of yours? I think you'll need more than you've bargained on!!!
As for funds replenishment along the way, I've heard there's plenty of scope to earn a few bucks as a topless waitress at some of those slightly-out-of-the-way places. You -might need to wax your legs and bikini line; but hey, if it means being able to fund a few more days in the bush; why not???
Onya mate...
FollowupID: 326192

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:25

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:25
Wolfie,

After the age of 60 things ease up a little and we all begin thinking that damn it, we are now at the bottom of the "dropping off the perch" list. Time to get on with it. So we are now persuing all our other individual interests and giving each other lots of space. So each one says "I want to do you that....you coming with?" It works out.

Don't follow any of Roachie's instructions. He is a very bad influence on youngsters and you could be led astray. I would treat him with kid gloves.......

Roachie,

I checked today. I can fit 21 jerries on the pack rack though that will not be feasible :-) 7 on the rack, 6 inside and 110lt tank underneath. Will give me 1480km on a bad trek.

Don't know about the topless bit. I may have Man-boobs but they are not like the real thing, eh? Instead I might apply for a never ending Credit Card from a bank somewhere on the Yorke Peninsula :-)))))))))
FollowupID: 326214

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:34

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:34
Willem
I reckon you should be able to get the credit card if you use the jerry cans as collateral - you have enough of them!!
Trip sounds great. I'd do it myself but SWMBO isn't working hard enough to pay for it yet. Maybe next year ...
Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 326263

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:32

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:32
Roachie...I knew I was doing something wrong ....., but not sure where?
Now I know...just be a thorn in her backside (cant miss hehehe) and she'll tell me to get out here eh?
Geez ..why didnt I think of that years ago!
I will go try it out immediately!
FollowupID: 326304

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:42

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:42
err it didnt work....i was politely told in very certain terms that

"your not going anywhere!! forget it ...you have work to do.... get out there and mow the lawns, prune the roses and rack up the leaves...no way are you going to have fun"

Now!, have I just also figured out if this "no fun" bit, explains why she closes her eyes when we are in bed, she doent want to see me having fun?????

FollowupID: 326306

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:40

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:40
Richard,
Mate, you are your own worst enemy....... You MUST train yourself to look as though your in agony when you're working on the horizontal work-bench....If SWMBO senses you are enjoying yourself;....well, what can I say.....it'll be over before it's begun (if you get my drift??) LOL

You must've done something right a few weeks ago though, cos you got the leave pass to go over to Berri......oh, that's right, she'd already gone off on HER own and left you at home........Jeez it just seems all upside down to me.
hahahahaha
FollowupID: 326417

Reply By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 13:18

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 13:18
Willie, I'm jealous...........
Look forward to hear all about it when you return. Hopefully, we will be doing some of those tracks next year and you will have all the good goss on them.
I know you'll have a good trip but I didn't realise Birdsville had such strong ties with you.
AnswerID: 65331

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:05

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:05
So every time you go to Adelaide I am to read something in to it???? Hey Birdsville is just another fuel stop to somewhere.
FollowupID: 326347

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:20

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:20
Hey Willie.......

have I got this right?

You and your partner are going away in a couple of weeks for nearly a month.......THEN YOU GO AWAY AGAIN?????

Mate, you are my hero if this is true, there's simply something your'e not tellin me...

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 65363

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:32

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:32
Yep, Judith and I and the dog are going to Beltana on 8 July 'till 28 August to mind some properties, do some art and follow some Flinders Tracks. Then when we get back I am packing the truck for my Big Trip and heading off. I'm retired...not working any more...getting some serious playtime together....then when I get back from the Big trip it is off to Robe to catch up with Member-Eric and gang AND I have to be in Melbourne sometime this year as well. So lots of travelling in the offing. Have to be in Adelaide a couple of times in the next two months as well in the mean time...Never a Dull moment!!!!! :-)
FollowupID: 326352

Sponsored Links