Cash or Card

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 07:16
ThreadID: 141525 Views:7383 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Question for the experienced outback travellers or outback business owners.

What do businesses like Pubs, Servo's, Cafe's and Accomodation Places in Outback towns prefer?

Cash or Card?

Obviously I will be carrying cash in case of no EFT available or EFT outages, but do they have a preference for one or the other?

Thanks CJ
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 08:58

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 08:58
Most prefer card but you will still need cash from time to time.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636002

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 13:10

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 13:10
In 2016, I was in Marree and asked the caravan park proprietor what he preferred. His comment was card as he had to drive to Port Augusta to deposit cash.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636004

Reply By: Member - cruza25 - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 13:47

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 13:47
Hi Chris

We have just got back from an outback SA trip

Most places will take either.
Some places we went had problems with internet so were cash only
Other places were card only. Especially unmanned fuel outlets

Best to carry both just incase

Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 636005

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 16:38

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 16:38
Spent many years in remote travel. Most Territorians always have a grand or two in their wallet for emergencies. Saved me a few times when communication towers played up ( no atm or card services). I never leave home without at least $1 k in the wallet.
AnswerID: 636006

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 17:50

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 17:50
Another vote for filthy cash! And always make sure the plastic isn’t about to expire too.

As for cards, I believe most retailers prefer debit cards, as there’s no bank charges like there is with credit cards. But if it’s a large amount, then the credit card is the go!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913828

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 17:35

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 17:35
"And always make sure the plastic isn’t about to expire too."
Also, carry cards from at least two banks. If you lose a card or something goes wrong a bank will often freeze all cards on that account which will leave you without cards until you have them replaced.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 913953

Reply By: Mikee5 - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 17:38

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 17:38
I was at the Pink Roadhouse, Oodnadatta and the Telstra internet was out so it was cash only. One guy had already filled up and could not cover his fuel bill with cash. No idea of the outcome. Always carry cash, you just never know!
AnswerID: 636009

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 18:03

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 18:03
I found Oodnadatta was Optus only. We now have 1 on Tesltra and 1 on Optus.
FollowupID: 913829

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:31

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:31
They can still do it the old way before credit payments came online - card in the the machine and swipe.
FollowupID: 913878

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon B5 - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2021 at 22:14

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2021 at 22:14
I couldn't at the end in business when I retired. The Bank wouldn't take the manual slips any longer. too
time consuming to process was unofficial reason.
We only processed manual fuel vouchers with the old click clack machine when electronic was down, & amex & diners where treated as fuel vouchers
He who hesitates is lost

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 913938

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 18:09

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 18:09
Chris
We always travel with both and has been said above if the internet is down you need cash. l did a trip with some mates and one of them could not use his phone to pay as it would not be recognised by the EFPOS machines. l had pay cash for all his coffees,lucky fella.
So yes both is best as you never know.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636011

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 18:41

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 18:41
A funny story about this topic if I may.

About 30 years ago I had GQ Patrol traytop and a HZ Holden one tonner which I lent to Pommie relatives of my missus so we could show them some of the outback (at their request) we lived in Adelaide at the time. Got a flatty in the one tonner going through the Flinders Rangers - no big deal got it fixed. Spent the night at William Creek a couple days later which the Poms enjoyed immensely. Left William Creek in the morning and headed to Coober Pedy.

About 50 k's from Coober Pedy we were flagged down by two German fellas in a commodore. Stopped to help and saw they were driving on the rim with no tyre on the left rear. Asked did they have a spare which they did but it was flat. Got them to jump in the back of the Patrol and headed to Coober Pedy where I got the wife and the Poms to get some more supplies as we were heading further north while I took the Germans to the wreckers.

Asked the guy if he had a 14 inch rim and tyre for a commodore, " come with me he said. " Got to a HZ holden where he said this wheel will fit the rear of the commodore but not the front ( due to the disc brakes ) the German fellas said that's fine. The tyre was almost completely bald. Then the tourists asked how much does this cost ? " Eighty dollars said the yard owner " then one tourist replied with his very acute German accent - " atey dollarz for zee zecond hand rim wiss bald tyre ? "Well the yard owner immediately replied with " DO YA WANT THE F....NG THING OR NOT " The frustrated German replied with " yarz yarz vee vant ze farkin zing " and pulled out his credit card ! Then the wrecker bloke angrily said " ya not in f....ng Munich now mate - it's cash only here ! " They only had about $20 on them so I lent them the rest til we got back into town.

Well I started to worry about getting more flats in my one tonner as we were heading further north and eyed off the other wheel with almost new tyre on the HZ wreck but wasn't really keen on paying $80 but thought best I grab it ! So I went up to the wrecking yard owner and said hey buddy I will grab that other rim and tyre off that holden - he jacked it up, rolled it over to me and said " just give us twenty bucks mate " You just gotta love some of the Aussie characters you meet when out of the main cities !

Ever since then - like Bigfish, I always carry a fair amount of folding stuff when off the bitumen !

Cheers
Gazz

AnswerID: 636012

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 21:02

Thursday, Apr 15, 2021 at 21:02
You need both, but note cash in NOT king anymore at many outback outlets.
We are finding many places insist on card, as it eliminates cash jobs under the table. Found as example at the Jardine ferry, the eftpos was down, I said no worries will pay cash, this was refused. Waited an hour (and a line of cars formed both sides) many offering cash and the above reason was noted as to why they are not allowed to accept cash.
AnswerID: 636013

Reply By: RedProw - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:26

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:26
I don't understand why there isn't a manual procedure for the use of cards when the EFTPOS is down. We are so reliant on them and it seems the world comes to a standstill when this happens. Remember the manual machines that were used to take an imprint of your card?
AnswerID: 636058

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:36

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:36
"I don't understand why there isn't a manual procedure for the use of cards when the EFTPOS is down."

There is - it is the same system that was in place before EFTPOS - card in the special slide machine and swipe - the merchant then enters the details when system is back up - really no different to buying stuff over the phone with a card number.

Trouble is many merchants have become complacent and no longer keep the manual swipe machines which they should.
FollowupID: 913879

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 15:55

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 15:55
Businesses usually have the old-type manual machines as backup but staff may not know how to use it.

In any case, merchants (businesses) are able to perform a "manual entry" on the EFTPOS electronic machine. In this, the card is not used at all. The card number and expiry date etc are entered using the keyboard. So all the merchant needs to do is write down the card details and enter the transaction later when the EFTPOS comes online again. But once again, staff may not be trained in how to do this.

p.s. That knowledge may give some of you concern! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 913886

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 16:56

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 16:56
"p.s. That knowledge may give some of you concern! lol"

Er, yes, Allan. My immediate thought was $10 becomes $100 in my absence.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 913887

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:07

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:07
No different when buying something over the phone - and if it happens just do a chargeback - generally not an issue, particularly if you have the receipt
FollowupID: 913888

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:20

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:20
That's right Ozzie, same procedure.
There is no safeguard against a merchant doing a manual entry for any amount at any time.
I know because we were merchants and legitimately provided this service.
So it pays to always audit your CC statement each month. I do religiously...... by that I mean I pray that it won't get any bigger. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 913890

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:22

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:22
Yes Frank, pays to audit your CC monthly statement.
Although I am not aware of such fraud.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 913891

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 18:46

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 18:46
Like most others we carry a certain amount of cash with us, but in the past 4 years of travel have not once had to use it. That won’t stop us carrying it ‘just in case’ though,
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 636104

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 19:38

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 at 19:38
" but in the past 4 years of travel have not once had to use it."

Dear Cuppa - you are so lucky not to be married to my missus - she has a black belt in shopping and can spend cash faster than Donald Trump could post stupid $hit on twitter !

Cheers
Gazz

FollowupID: 913957

Sponsored Links