Waeco, Engel & Reefer 60Lt Fridge comparison

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 16:24
ThreadID: 14156 Views:5524 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
The fridge debate will again escalate with the emergence of a new and less expencive model released recently.

The new Reefer 'DR' range of fridges is aimed squarely at the Waeco/Engel market and using the same compressor as the larger Waeco range of fridges, it can't be condemed for poor performance either.

Both the Waeco CF60 and Reefer DR60 models use the Danfoss compressor, however the Reefer DR60 uses the larger BD50 compressor.
Engel 60Lt uses the Sawafuji swing motor.

Sizes and weight are similar for each unit.

Prices are the real variable according to the various web sites and this is where the Reefer wins hands down, totally far and away better priced than it's nearest compeditor!

$1,500 Engel ($1,639 Ranger Camping)

$1,040 Waeco (Fridge Shop)

$ 899 Reefer

The Reefer 'DR' fridge range has a full size evaporator plate which is plastic coated and sits in the wall of the unit. This plate in all models including the massive DR100 covers the full interior wall maximising the level of refrigeration.

The DR60 is the only unit under 80lt's that has the larger BD50 Danfoss compressor and as such I believe performs exceptionally well.
The Reefer DR60 can maintain -10C at 50C ambient temp.

Link--> http://refrigerationresearch.com.au/DR%20portables_3.html

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:07

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 17:07
Who distributes them?

Jim
AnswerID: 65227

Reply By: Jac - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:35

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:35
What sort of amp draw
AnswerID: 65233

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 21:15

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 21:15
Because it uses the same Danfoss BD50 Compressor as Waeco and similar fridges the power requirements of the compressor are the same, I believe Waeco state about 2.7a/h
But I guarantee I will be corrected if I have the number wrong.
Obviously I don't use a Danfoss compressor! :)
FollowupID: 326634

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:48

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 18:48
In the end they all cool your food down and keep it from going off.

It is a matter of choice...You pay peanuts..You get monkeys. This philosophy applies to all manufactured items.
AnswerID: 65234

Follow Up By: Magnus - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 19:36

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 19:36
Willem,

That assumes that all suppliers have the same gross margin. Some suppliers really are into maximising their margins and others are not. So you can get real price differences for similar quality.

Cheaper does not always mean poorer quality, can just mean less gross margin caused by lower frills. Aldi is a case in point.

Cheers

Magnus
FollowupID: 326223

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:02

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:02
William,
are you saying that the more expencive the fridge is the better it works?
FollowupID: 326230

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:13

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 20:13
Ozyguy............If you are taliking to me get my name right

In answer to your question...a rthetorical question.....which is better?...a Range Rover or a Lada Niva

Magnus,

You make it too complicated. You pay more for a better quality item, hence the philosophy.

As I said...in the end they refrigerate!
FollowupID: 326232

Follow Up By: Magnus - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 19:18

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 19:18
Willem,

Yeah. OK I'll buy that reasoning.

On an un-related matter. I read with interest your Sept trip itinerary (sp) and noted you are going by yourself. It is clear from your other posts that you have done a lot of travel in the past and one would assume are fairly competent at it.

Also I note that none of the Forum regulars has raised the question below, so your skills are obviously well known.

So, the question. Is it not slightly dangerous doing some of that planned trip on your own?

Cheers,

Magnus
FollowupID: 326368

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:27

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:27
Hi Magnus,

Yes at this stage I am going solo but most likely will take a mate with if he can get a leave pass from his missus.

I suppose there is always an element of danger in what one does especially out bush in remote areas. I tend to go well prepared making sure that my vehicle is in good condition and that I have all the neccessary communication devices i.e. HF Radio etc. I drive with care(sometimes) and take it easy and don't take unneccesary risks. Although I will admit to going solo to Helena Spring which lies 90km east of Well 42 on the Canning Stock Route along a very faint track. On the way back had to have 5 attempts to get over a dune! My missus wasn't happy. When we drove the Canning our Tojo was 15 years old but in good mech. condition. Even so I had to do quite a few repairs along the way as the truck shook to bits on the corrugations.

So being prepared and using some common sense should get you through on trips where the risk is higher. Go to my website shown below where I have written about some of our travels.

FollowupID: 326408

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 21:23

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 21:23
Ozyguy........If you are taliking to me get my name right ->Sory, was I taliking :)

In answer to your question...a rthetorical question.....which is better?...a Range Rover or a Lada Niva -> I would prefer to drive a Rangie! Lada is underpowered.

Magnus,
You make it too complicated. You pay more for a better quality item, hence the philosophy. -> according to your statement an Engel is 50% better than a Waeco?

As I said...in the end they refrigerate! -> BUT, the two units use the same Danfoss Compressor system, why not buy the less expencive fridge?
For an extra $600 you can buy a new 60Lt Engel.

AnswerID: 65259

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie SA- Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:07

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 22:07
Ozyguy,
I'm not gunna say too much about which fridge is better etc....we all pay our hard-earned and get what suits our needs.
However, your comments seem to suggest that just because certain fridges use certain compressors, then the overall quality of each fridge is the same.......
You don't seem to have considered things like quality of fridge construction (ie: "robustness"...if there is such a word) and levels of insulation etc. Also, power draw is pretty crutial for those of us who run off 12v all the time and steer clear of caravan parks etc.
So, I bought my fridge cos' it's got a steel cabinet, it's the right physical size to fit in the allocated spot in the back of the Patrol and I'm fairly confident that it'll keep working for as long or longer as most others off a given amount of 12v juice.
It still pays to shop around and this new fridge could be the duck's guts and most of us just haven't realised it yet. In the same way, I was looking back through some old 4x4 mags a few days ago and came across a press-release advising there was a new fridge about to hit the market; but the writer didn't think it'll sell very well; it's name was "Waeco"!!! How wrong could he have been??? LOL
Old saying: "You pays your money and you takes your chances".
FollowupID: 326256

Reply By: Allan Mac (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 23:42

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 23:42
Hmmm .one wonders? who do you work for..are you a distributor? ,,what are you going to geyt out of your post ? you protest so much re the repleys. hmmm maybe my engel isnt as good as I am led to believe.. giving that is nearly 10 years old.
AnswerID: 65275

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:44

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 06:44
Nope,
don't work for, not a distributor, not on a commission, will get totally zilch out of this post, have nothing to gain in any way shape or form at all!

If I did not post the information here for the benifit of guy's who are interested in buying a new fridge, where would they get information from to make their own decision on which fridge to buy?

As to performance, cooling ability and insulation, check with the supplier before you condem the product, as I did, and I think you will be more than impressed with their specifications.

Question:
did anyone who has read this post know of the existance of this fridge prior to reading this post.
I think not and that is my entire point, it gives you another choice, a choice that is also less expensive than the present market leader!

FollowupID: 326283

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 00:42

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 00:42
Thank you for the information.
AnswerID: 65280

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:39

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:39
So where can you go to look at one to see what they're like?

ie Who seels them?

Jim.
AnswerID: 65293

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 22:38

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 22:38
http://refrigerationresearch.com.au/DR%20portables_3.html
FollowupID: 326392

Reply By: JR - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:38

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:38
www.refrigerationresearch.com.au
bit hard to find on site though, think its under "portable", then via a link at the bottom.
JR
AnswerID: 65315

Sponsored Links