Grey water tank

Submitted: Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 15:12
ThreadID: 141693 Views:7336 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi people just after some thoughtful info please.
We have just had a grey water tank put into the system of our caravan, never having one fitted before always used a portable one, so the question is how do you clean out the tank , as I am pretty sure some residue of our use is still going to be there when we camp up in caravan parks and don't have to use it. Do you get any odours if they are left for too long without being used.
our old system was simple just empty it out wash it out with detergent , rinse once again and store it in the shed with the lid off.
all responses welcome
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 16:45

Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 16:45
Our caravan AOR has a flush line for the grey tank. On our return journey to home, we also dissolve a dishwasher tablet in a 500ml of hot water then put in grey tank with 10 litres of water or so (Grey water tank outlet closed ) and let it slosh around till we get home & flush it all out . .
AnswerID: 636276

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Friday, May 07, 2021 at 22:27

Friday, May 07, 2021 at 22:27
Of course you could use dishwasher liquid instead
FollowupID: 914189

Reply By: pmk03 - Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 16:59

Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 16:59
Hi Brodie,
We have had a grey water tank for the last 5 years without any problems. Unfortunately we cant bypass ours when we don't need it so we make sure we follow a few simple rules.
We always wipe off our plates & pots etc. with paper towels & have them clean as possible before washing them. We then burn the paper towels or put them in our rubbish bag.
Don't wash any solids down the sinks. They will sit in your tank !
Our tank has been fitted on a lean towards the outlet so it drains pretty well.
We also have Hepa Valves fitted to both sinks & the shower so no smell ever comes back up the drains.
A working breather for the tank is also important to allow the drains to flow well. Ours has a shut off valve to stop it leaking while travelling. Works well.
Keep in mind stored grey water will always end up smelling bad. You should always try & dump it asap.
If it's been more than a day or two better to find a dump point. Better still don't store it longer than you need,get rid of it where you are allowed to run grey water on the ground asap.
If a grey water tank is not required at a camp we just leave the valve open & drain to a tree just like anyone without a tank.
To clean the tank, once & a while we pour pinoclean or smilar down the drains with a little water & either let it sit or drive to slosh it around a bit. Usually after a trip unless were away for a while in which case we'll clean it more often. Pretty simple really.
It is nice to be prepared for anything when we are travelling. We have stay in a few places where an installed grey water tank was required. Not that we have ever been checked on.
Hope this helps, Not sure if I covered everything though
Cheers,
Paul
PMK3AUSTRALIA
AnswerID: 636277

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 17:10

Thursday, May 06, 2021 at 17:10
thanks Paul that was very helpful, I enjoyed your tilpa video very much, ever thoought of doing a story on camp ettiquet, as you seem to do a lot of camping and newbys to camping may find some useful information . just a thought and once again thank you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914157

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Friday, May 07, 2021 at 11:41

Friday, May 07, 2021 at 11:41
Thanks Broodie, Glad you liked our video.
Not sure about doing one on Camp Etiquette, I may do things a lot different than others LOL.
Maybe down the track when I retire (soon) and I have. a bit more time.
The videos started out as just for family viewing over 20 years back now. Who have thought YouTube was coming back then........ I do enjoy putting them together though.
PS; Sorry spelt you name wrong in first post!
Cheers
Paul & Michelle
PMK3AUSTRALIA
FollowupID: 914173

Reply By: Johnhgh - Friday, May 07, 2021 at 09:05

Friday, May 07, 2021 at 09:05
We flush a capfull of Napisan or similar into our tank to prevent odours when in use, I guess a soak with water and Napisan before emptying it for storage would work well.
AnswerID: 636287

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 08, 2021 at 14:39

Saturday, May 08, 2021 at 14:39
Our tank is a flow-through one and there is no trap between the sink and the tank. Any time there is a smell coming from the tank a dose of "nappisan" fixes it quickly.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914203

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, May 07, 2021 at 19:46

Friday, May 07, 2021 at 19:46
Our current grey water tank has been in use for 16 years.
Never done anything to clean it and never had a need.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
AnswerID: 636301

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, May 08, 2021 at 20:43

Saturday, May 08, 2021 at 20:43
On the final day of a trip we put a cap of Napisan into the sink, add hot water and drive home with the grey water tank half full and sloshing around. Controls the potential odour.
AnswerID: 636322

Sponsored Links