Thuraya XT Lite earphones

Submitted: Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:55
ThreadID: 141716 Views:6851 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I purchased my satphone mainly for emergency comms and didn't buy an earpiece. However, experience has shown that connection can be a bit flaky hand holding the phone and others have reported that using an earpiece is much more reliable. If you were trying to follow instructions while holding the phone it would be very difficult. Consequently, I decided it would be a good idea to buy earphones for an upcoming very remote trip. Unfortunately, earphones for version 1 of the phone are no longer available, later versions use 3.5mm smartphone headsets. Has anyone used a 2.5->3.5mm adaptor or can tell me the Thuraya 2.5mm plug configuration, TRRS, TRS? There's a lot of info about jack wiring on the net, e.g. details of TRRS (tip, ring,ring, shaft) configuration for the two standards OMPT (l,r, mic,gnd) and CTIA (l,r,gnd,mic). Can't find anything about stereo versus mono. Perhaps Thuraya uses the TRS plug and is wired audio, gnd,mic or audio,mic,gnd, I can't find out if this is even done. I am capable of making my own adaptor if I only knew, otherwise suck it and see appears the only way to go, any information would be gratefully received. I have emailed satphonesales, but they have no information other than to say that they won't be getting any more version 1 earphones.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: maurice b - Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:26

Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:26
@Warren H. I can confirm a Plantronics M214C Black Phone Headset 2.5mm works well in the Thuraya .I purchased it from officeworks for $29.95 a few year ago. There is also a device called a Jabra A210 Bluetooth Adaptor, for any standard 2.5mm headset Jack but i don't think they are available any more. These allow you to connect to a wireless bluetooth headset or to your handsfree car stereo.
AnswerID: 636343

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, May 10, 2021 at 16:15

Monday, May 10, 2021 at 16:15
Thanks maurice,
I replied earlier but it seems to have been removed?? If anyone else wants to go in this direction you may need to move quickly, all 2.5mm products seem to be well and truly superceded. The Plantronics is now only available online for 2-3x what maurice paid. Officeworks has a Uniden mono headphone set but all their stores list limited stock, hopefully I have secured one. The Jabra BT adaptor is still listed as available in Australia from Pacific Rim Satellite World Store for about $76 almost the same price that is being asked for the Plantronics when you include freight from HK/PRC or the US. Looking at the promo pictures they seem to have the TRRS jack configuration so perhaps a simple adaptor would work. If I can find a cheap <$10 one from Jaycar I might give that a go as well. Thanks again to maurice b.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914236

Reply By: maurice b - Monday, May 10, 2021 at 16:28

Monday, May 10, 2021 at 16:28
Hi Warren . I have emailed and phoned Pacific Rim many times over the last year with no replies. Found a few in the USA but seller wouldn't post to Aust. Please let me if you find a working BT adaptor.
AnswerID: 636350

Sponsored Links