Binns Track

Hi, Has anyone travelled from Alice Springs on Binns Track to the Devils Marbles? The southern loop through Old Andando is currently closed so would like to know what the next section is like?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gordon B5 - Monday, May 10, 2021 at 21:43

Monday, May 10, 2021 at 21:43
Hi JIM F4 could I ask where you got your info on the track closure from. The NT Road report doesn't say that.
Road name Mt Dare Access Andado
Restriction Type High Clearance 4WD only
Restriction Details Changing Surface Conditions
Section Affected Between MayfieldBore and South Australian Border
Comments Bulldust and loose surface, motorists are advised to drive with care
I know they did get a lot of rain recently I'm leaving next week.
edit found it on Mt Dare web site thanks
He who hesitates is lost

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636360

Follow Up By: Member - JIM F4 - Monday, May 10, 2021 at 22:18

Monday, May 10, 2021 at 22:18
Hi Gordon, As at 3/5/21 on the mtdare .com Old Andando to Mt Dare closed until possibly mid June.

Mt Dare to Delhousie OK.

When are you going .We are leaving McLaren Vale on the 31/5/21
FollowupID: 914255

Reply By: Member - Gordon B5 - Monday, May 10, 2021 at 22:42

Monday, May 10, 2021 at 22:42
Jim I found the info on Mt Dare Web site. We're leaving next Tuesday 18th. I see you can go thru New Crown to Andado. I'll give them a ring tomorrow to see that it's OK with them. This will be the 4th year in a row we've altered our travel plans due to water. I'm pulling a KK behind an ex telstra patrol workbox on the back I'll keep an eye out for you we're not in any hurry generally
He who hesitates is lost

AnswerID: 636361

Follow Up By: Member - JIM F4 - Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 09:06

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 09:06
Hi Gordon,
I will wait for your enquiry to New Crown Station. We are towing a hybrid MDC 16 HR with a 79 Series Landcruiser, so do not want to get bogged!! I will also ring 1800246199 (NT Roads) to see if I can any further information.
FollowupID: 914259

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 11:18

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 11:18
If there's been substantial rain, I would expect that to be closed.

Did that drive Mt Dare to Old Andado after good rainfall one trip, the track into Mt Dare from the south, and leaving towards the Binns turnoff were underwater (sometimes for 100m or more), but strangely open to travellers.

While we had a bit of a time (or rather concern) with 100mm - 150m sections of water over the road before you hit the main New Crown - Andado road, but with normal driving for such crossings, required speed / momentum, found the underlying surface wasn't too bad.

Even in such conditions, when fuel tankers can't get to Mt Dare, this is the route they take the landcruisers towing the fuel cart to get fuel / other supplies from Alice in the wet times.
They passed us coming back.

I'd call Mt Dare 08 8670 7835 and ask about the current Binns condition, as they would probably travel the bulk of it more regularly the others . . . Andado 08 8956 0804 would probably know their lower section conditions, right through Old Andado holding as well, they graze that.
FollowupID: 914261

Follow Up By: Member - JIM F4 - Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 11:19

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 11:19
Hi Gordon,
Just spoken to Mt Dare Hotel and the first part of "Binns Track" is closed for road works and there is a detour through New Crown to Old Andando. So good news!! Please keep me up dated with your route especially after Alice Springs ,(I have travelled this before but 5 years ago towing a camper trailer) as I remember a couple of sandy creek crossings and a stoney bit of road that was a creek bed, If I knew where it was I may detour that bit.

Thanks Jim
FollowupID: 914262

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon B5 - Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 22:47

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 22:47
Good day Jim, They say 24 hrs is a long time, well we're now going to pick up Binns track from Alice and then in August I am doing Birdsville - Hay River track - Alice - Binns Track - Mt Dare - Colson - Madigan - Birdsville so will fit the track in that way but happy to let you know of any poor track conditions we encounter from Alice up to to TimberCreek via Binns track, mind you I have done some pretty rough tracks so I may well see them in a different light to you. Would love it if we caught up somewhere in our travels, who knows hey.

Safe travels Gordon
He who hesitates is lost

FollowupID: 914279

Follow Up By: Member - JIM F4 - Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 11:48

Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 11:48
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the information, DOZER has added some info about the road around PolicemansWater hole. I would be grateful for any information about the track. We did the whole track about 5 years ago in a Volkswagen Amarok and Mountain trail camper . We are used to fairly tough conditions but now have a 79 Series and a MDC 16 HR Hybrid Van.( We are a bit soft) Interesting piece was from Humbert Station through the Gregory National Park . The river crossing at Humbert Creek was a challenge and when we got to Bullita HS (sign Camper Trailers PROHIBITED!!)
We are leaving SA on Monday the 31st May.

Cheers Jim
FollowupID: 914281

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 10:54

Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 10:54
The road through New Crown to ol Andado is in good condition we travelled it 2 wks ago
sadly can,t say the same about Mollys house
it is looking very unloved as the dust is taking over inside
cheers mechpete
FollowupID: 914329

Follow Up By: Member - JIM F4 - Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 12:44

Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 12:44
Hi Gordon, Sad news about Molly,s House at Old Andando.

Thanks for the update , looking forward to your next report on Binns track from Alice Springs to Devils Marbles. As I said we are now pulling 2.6tonne Hybrid with a Toyota 79 series and if I remember from my last trip the track followed a water coarse for part of it, and we may be able to detour that bit.
Safe travels.
Jim
FollowupID: 914332

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon B5 - Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 21:38

Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 21:38
Hi Jim that was Mechpete not me. We've changed our plans entirely and are going straight to Perth. Have some family issues and are needed to baby sit.
Enjoy & safe travelling
Gordon
He who hesitates is lost

FollowupID: 914342

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Monday, May 17, 2021 at 03:48

Monday, May 17, 2021 at 03:48
"sadly can,t say the same about Mollys house
it is looking very unloved as the dust is taking over inside "

That's unfortunate. I presume the owners didn't line up another caretaker after the previous one left.
FollowupID: 914345

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 07:44

Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 07:44
Enjoy you two, I believe the rocky and sandy bit was coming into policeman’s water hole at Davenport ranges after Crossing the plenty. There is a main dirt bypass road around it.
AnswerID: 636377

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)