ExploreOz v 6 - Fuel Station POIs

Submitted: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 22:33
ThreadID: 141737 Views:7459 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
So, I just took the plunge after many years of relying on the buggy HEMA software, bought the base version of ExploreOz, plus the extra detailed 2021 maps, all for over a hundred bucks. The very first thing I noticed was it was not showing fuel stations. Actually, not showing too many types of POI at all really.

I have looked through the application, have downloaded the Places and Treks dataset, made sure the map filtering showed all 8 POI types, including one called 'Services', yet I do not appear to be able to show fuel stations.

Am I missing something; for an app that is primarily used for 4wd touring, please, please tell me that it tells me where I can get fuel...? :(
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 05:30

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 05:30
Better off getting one of the free fuel apps, Fuel Map or Petrol Spy, to find where you can buy fuel, and the current price, and fluids available, at each outlet.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636386

Follow Up By: Easycass - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 22:35

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 22:35
Hi Bob, thank you. Yes, I have used extra apps over the years,. I was just trying to ascertain if the software POI dataset was meant to have fuel information or not. Looking at Michelle's reply below, it seems that roadhouses in the outback are likely to be listed, but less likely the inner city ones, which is fine...
FollowupID: 914300

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:35

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:35
Easycass
There is the Exploroz Navigation program and then EOtopo maps, what is the base version? Is there a more inclusive Exploroz navigation? Just wondering!
AnswerID: 636387

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:58

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:58
I've never tried because I purchased the app and the mapset before installing the app, but can't you can use EO Traveller online without buying the mapset? That would be the basic version.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914288

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:33

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:33
Warren H
I am finding out what is what, and with a new tablet and the program and maps will be great. EASYCASS is likely to have no phone reception when looking for fuel, same as many others, so the online aspect isn't an option or consideration is it? I see it is possible to use it that way but restricted to reception. Therefore, I was puzzled as to the basic bit mentioned. Below, Michelle has outlined the method in the program and is helpful.
FollowupID: 914290

Follow Up By: Easycass - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 22:48

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 22:48
Thank you for your replies.

Firstly, yes, one can purchase the initial software giving across-Australia map coverage (what you might be referring to as ExplorOz Traveller, the basic level) , and also purchase, if you want it offline, an extra set of map data which has greater detail/resolution/zoom-levels.

As Warren has guessed, it is when I am offroad and out of cell phone / internet coverage that I use the apps extensively. I have been using HEMA for many years, which has a fairly good points of interest POI offline dataset, and was hoping that the EOT software would have a dataset as rich. Michelle's response indicates EOT should have good coverage of places off the beaten track which will be fine.

I actually decided to buy the EOT software, plus the high zoom level maps, as this essentially gives all the map info one needs without further downloads, all available offline. While HEMA gives a similar level of map detail, the caveats are that it is subscription based, plus one has to actually download areas/regions rather than all of Oz at once, and their software is a bit clunky/resource hungry.

I do believe that the EOT software plus hi-res maps is the way to go in terms of mapping at least. I will take a look at the POI dataset in remote places to see how it compares, but should be fine from what Michelle says.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 914301

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 11:35

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 11:35
In the User Manual, on pages 21- 22 you'll see the legend for Places.
On Page 22 you'll see that in Services, there are:-

Cafe/Bakery, Fuel, Picnic Area, Pub, Roadhouse, Shop, Water supply, Dump Point, Medical, Police, Quarantine, Rubbish bin/tip, Toilet, Winery and you'll see each type has its own corresponding icon.

So in the app, you can look for the icons for Fuel, and for Roadhouse.

Due to the purpose of this app being geared towards travellers seeking to get away from the cities into regional/country/outback areas, we have focused on POIs in the outer regions rather than city regions so unless someone has entered servos in the cities/suburbs you won't find them all listed here but what you will find is roadhouses and outback fuel stops all over Australia that lie outside of capital cities.

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636389

Follow Up By: Easycass - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 22:49

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 22:49
Thanks Michelle. I will take a look. Keep up the good work.
FollowupID: 914302

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 07:55

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 07:55
If you are travelling through South Australia, get the RAA app that has live pricing for fuel outlets and is the most accurate for SA.
RAA app for live fuel pricing
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636396

Follow Up By: Easycass - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 09:18

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 09:18
Thanks for the info... I will take a look. I do have a few assorted apps, but was hoping I could do all my planning in just one but alas, each app has its strength and weaknesses. No worries, we will survive. Thanks again...
FollowupID: 914306

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)