Strzelecki Track ?

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 15:24
ThreadID: 141740 Views:7353 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I've just had a query which has led me down a path of research that I cannot fully resolve and now require the input of those travellers that know what's going on with the Strzelecki Track currently?

Is the route for the Old Strzelecki Track (as shown in the ExplorOz Trek) still an option? Or are travellers now forced to follow the route that Google maps/OSM will give you?

As I said, I've done a bit of research and found this article referring to the construction of a sealed route https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/road_projects/strzelecki_track_upgrade_and_sealing_project but I suspect they are just sealing an existing route that I've just never driven - having only done the route as shown in the ExplorOz Trek. I've also found reference to this new/alternative route in maintstream tourist brochures but no reference to the Old Strz.

So which way do people go? Is there a choice of 2 routes?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 15:36

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 15:36
Hi Michelle,
The Strzelecki Tk as travelled by most is the one they are sealing (as it progresses).
The Old Strzelecki Tk is a different (as said old) route, and I'm not 100% sure if the whole length can be travelled still (Innamincka - Merty Merty), we have done a little from near Innamincka once, but can't recall how much.
From memory, there were a fair few gas field operations, a lot of finer white bullbust, not very scenic or anything special.
AnswerID: 636391

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 15:42

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 15:42
We drove Innamincka to Merty Merty on the old Strez in 2017. Signs stated that the track was not maintained, but it wasn't closed. In fact it was a a very good road road & a pleasant drive that I would take again in preference to the 'main' Strzelecki Track.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 914292

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 15:54

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 15:54
Ok next question, what about the timings given in the Google maps system from say, Mt Hopeless to Innamincka saying 11 hours. This matches what the turnbyturn calculator in the ExplorOz Traveller app also gives (and gives the same route) but for some reason, the person who asked me this question seems to think it is not correct.

(He is comparing to the ExplorOz Trek for the Old route that says 6 hrs 47 and is slightly longer too but I know this data came directly off a GPS record).

What do other people's track records show for time?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636392

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 16:42

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 16:42
In 2017 we went from Arkaroola to Innaminka in a day using the main rd, it was quite easy, the Strez gravel/dirt was quite smooth, we sat on 80k+ most of the way.

A bit slower linking up to the Strez from Arkaroola but not too bad, so we were doing 60-70 then 80+ on Strez

I have read reports of it being quite rough but I do not think it would ever be awful, so maybe 60-70k if rough and 80+ if smooth.

FollowupID: 914294

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 17:48

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 17:48

The red track log shows the easy part of the "Old Strz" to follow. It is typically much nicer and faster to drive than the "main Strz". It is our preferred route.

"Permit required" is because it is inside the National Park.
South of Merty Merty the "Old Strz" is on private property and following it becomes problematic.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 636393

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 17:56

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 17:56
Hema is showing the same as our ExplorOz Trek.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914297

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 18:06

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 18:06
Then I consider it correct. :)
The unsurfaced sections of the "main Strz" can vary from 'bitumen like' to 'horrid', depending on the day and the weather.
This would probably represent "typical".
https://youtu.be/XyqmLd_GowQ
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 914298

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 14:57

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 14:57
Drove that route year before last (2019) and yes still quite open

cheers
FollowupID: 914308

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 19:42

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 19:42
In October 2019 I came in from Tibooburra and drove the Old Srez from Merty Merty to Innamincka. It was dirt, dusty, well graded, signposted as used by the mining industry so use caution. That is the route in the EO Trek.

It was a bit less than a dirt highway, but 70kph was not difficult for the most part except where obviously not suitable. It was rough at the Innamincka end.

From the south, the "new" Strez track is straight ahead at Place 77831, then follow the green line in the attached to Innamincka.

The dotted black line is the EO Trek on the old Strez.

The new Strez is what they are sealing, but how far towards Innamincka from Moomba I don't know. From your map, looks like all the way to Innamincka and on to the Qld border.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636394

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 17:21

Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 17:21
Hi Michelle.

I Did the old Strez about 2 weeks ago
It’s still open from Merty Merty but some of the signs off the new Strez have been taken down.

I also did the Arkaroola to Mt Hopeless toInnamincka trip , it took about 8 hours at the most , it was a decent outback dirt rd .
Cheers
AnswerID: 636411

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)