Wilcannia - Darling River Run

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2021 at 09:57
ThreadID: 141754 Views:5806 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning All
Here's another short video from our recent Darling River Run.
We always enjoy our stays in Wilcannia. A lot of the historic buildings have been restored & some haven't but it's always pleasant to walk around town & see.
Hope you enjoy
Paul & Michelle
PMK3AUSTRALIA[

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 17:34

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 17:34
Thanks.
Whenever I see the beautiful buildings in the outback I can't help thinking how optimistic governments and the settlers were in those days.
They thought the towns would prosper forever and built accordingly.
A Darling River run has long been an ambition. I'll get there one day.
Cheers
AnswerID: 636401

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 23:13

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 23:13
Great video Paul.

Wilcannia has certainly changed for the better and now make it a stopover when passing through the town.

The old buildings are so special and steeped in early history
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636405

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 09:06

Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 09:06
Thanks Stephen,
Yes it has changed over the years & is great stop over just to see these old buildings.
It annoys me when people can a town with comments like "Just keep going" just because it's not what they expect, If they just took some time to have a look around with an open mind, there's so much history.....
These town need visitors not comments that scare others from visiting.
I personally really enjoy my visits to these towns & keep going back.
Cheers
Paul & Michelle
FollowupID: 914312

Follow Up By: mike39 - Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 08:40

Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 08:40
In the early 1970's, myself and 3 mates made an annual fishing pilgrimage to Menindee. Our first night stop was always Wilcannia where we took a couple of rooms at the Queens Head pub.
The publican an affable fellow, his wife a decent cook and the rooms quite ok for 4 blokes who had supped well on the beverages on offer. Tap beer before dinner, house rum after.
The clientele quite a mixture, and the dark fellows always ready with advise on where to get a decent cod or two. They knew that old Darling and its parallel, Talyawalka Crk well.
Good days before the cotton growing started in earnest. Unlike today, the Darling always ran in the same direction.
I think many things contributed to the sad demise of Wilcannia, and even though it can never come back to what it was, it is pleasing to see the improvements every time we pass through on our way West.
The last time there was a big footy carnival happening so we bought a Chiko roll, joined the enthusiasm and watched for a while.
mike
FollowupID: 914326

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)