the longranger 84 litre aux fuel tank FJ cruiser

Submitted: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 17:12
ThreadID: 141782 Views:5434 Replies:6 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi anyone else had problems with their aux fuel tank? I had the transfer pump fail after 2 years and approx 10 tank tansfers. Today when servicing vehicle for upcoming trip went to change the aux tank filter and noticed that the fuel hoses are badly perished the tank is only 2 1/2 years old
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 18:14

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 18:14
Murray
It seems you don't have a problem with the tank at all, only the pump and hoses. It appears the quality of the hoses is rubbish and pointsvto dhirt cuts by installer. Maybe the pump has a gutful of particle crap from the poor hoses. Any pump should last a very long time. A normal fuel injection pump runs constantly and is ok for use in aux tank transfer situations. I use one from a crummydore for aux tank to main tank, manually controlled.
AnswerID: 636469

Follow Up By: Murray M7 - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 18:49

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 18:49
So I gather by your reply you dont have any issues with your aux tank? I was asking if anyone else has had similar issues as me. You apparantly have not. I would of thought when you pay almost $2000 for an aux tank from ARB that the transfer pump would last longer than 2 years transfering at most 800 litres and the hoses would last longer than 2 1/2 years. Further more I am a qualified mechanic and did the install myself. One thing I do agree with you about is that the hoses are rubbish. So if anyone else out there has a Long ranger tank check your hoses
FollowupID: 914387

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 19:27

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 19:27
Why did you, as a qualified mechanic fit dodgy hose?
What markings are on the hose, is it really petrol fuel compatible? Have you fronted ARB with the obvious lack of quality of the components? Most reputable hose lasts well. Did they look kosher at the outset? Have you determined the issue with the pump? Particle obstruction? pump element failure? Electrical motor fault? It should be obvious. What brand of pump? Any info you reveal will help others!
FollowupID: 914389

Follow Up By: Murray M7 - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:04

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:04
Hey RMD whats with the questions? did you read my post? I am asking for other peoples experiances not questions as you are asking. You have all the questions but as yet no answers. How many people do you think have had ARB install an aux fuel tank? I am asking if anyone has had similar issues. So if you have no answers to my questions PLEASE keeps your questions/accusations to you self
FollowupID: 914390

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:51

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:51
Take it up with ARB, the warrany may only be 12 months but you have consumer rights even if you did install it yourself. 2 years or more warranty is reasonable for a $2000 purchase. Maybe you have already done that. Regards Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 914392

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:53

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:53
I am a bit puzzled with all this. If others have similar problems, what then? How does that help you. I cannot work out what is trying to be achieved. I suggested some situations which may be possible.to assist you. I am also an Automotive person and find the post puzzling. Are you alerting others, requiring help to solve your issue, what exactly?
FollowupID: 914393

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, May 21, 2021 at 11:05

Friday, May 21, 2021 at 11:05
Murray
Just for clarification.
You said you have trouble with your aux tank. You Don't! It is with other components. IF 543 others have had problems too, not with the tank but components associated with the tank, does it change your situation?
I asked perfectly normal analytical, diagnostic questions to try and solve the issue you have, I presume you have that diagnostic ability as a mechanic. Answers to those questions will reveal faults or quality of the gear supplied. Therefore, you will understand WHY questions were asked. Without a preparedness to answer to those questions, no one can help you.
FollowupID: 914419

Follow Up By: Murray M7 - Friday, May 21, 2021 at 13:30

Friday, May 21, 2021 at 13:30
RMD all I wanted to know was if anyone else had has a similar issue with the hoses, the main fuel transfer line is fine and is EFI rated hose SAE 30R9 which is rated for basically any fuel type. The reason I am asking is because the fuel filler tube had to be cut and modified to a twin filler it is these hoses and the new breather hose which is the issue. I can use off the shelf breather hose but the hoses for the modified twin filler tube have pre formed bends. So I don't really want to replace the filler hose with a similar hose if it is going to break down in a 2 to 3 years
FollowupID: 914423

Reply By: MickO - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:55

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 20:55
Murray I had issues but more around the structural integrity of a replacement main tank for my Patrol. They had not gusseted or reinforced top and bottom edges causing them to crack and weep. More disappointing was ARB, 's unwillingness to stand by their product (supplied and fitted by them in Bayswater). They just supply and fit. "You'd need to take it up with the manufacturer" they said. Buyer beware!

Cheers, Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636473

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 21:37

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 21:37
I would hope Mick, that you pointed out to ARB that Consumer Law places the responsibility initially with the supplier, in your case ARB.
What did you say when they told you "buyer beware" and to "take it up with the manufacturer" ?
And what resolution was there to the tank faults ?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 914396

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 21:56

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 21:56
Mick O,

As per Allan's reply above, you bought the product from ARB not Longranger. ARB are responsible for any redress required.

Regards
FollowupID: 914397

Follow Up By: MickO - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 07:38

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 07:38
Gents, "Buyer beware" is my comment not theirs so sorry for any confusion there. Tank was 18 months out of warrantee.

After much towing and froing and some robust conversation they offered to remove the tank at my expense and send it to Qld. Reinstal would also be at my expense and car off road for 2-3 weeks.

In frustration, I took the car to Brown Davis who pulled it out repaired and reinforced it with pakman plates for around $300 if memory serves me correctly.

Several other issues
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914398

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 07:51

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 07:51
MickO, just a quick question please mate, "Pakman" plates? As Pauline would say, please explain? TIA.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914400

Follow Up By: MickO - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 08:05

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 08:05
Couldn't think of a better way to describe them John. They are a circular plate with a piece cut out o match the protruding edge of the tank. Reinforces the two pieces rather than rely on the weld alone. Resembles a pacman from the old video game.

Hope the highly detailed and skilled engineering drawing (NOT) gives you an idea.

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914401

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:08

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:08
Mick
Having a fuel tank with an internal step return like that will cause high stress right at that internal corner point. I am surprised the manufacturer doesn't know. The failure rate is probably low and then most of claims can be avoided/stalled anyway. Maybe they never looked at reinforcing plates on farm and earthmoving machinery.
FollowupID: 914407

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:23

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:23
MickO, thanks, understand exactly now, good name, LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914409

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, May 21, 2021 at 10:47

Friday, May 21, 2021 at 10:47
Mick I'm on my 4th Longranger tank and each of the previous 3 were replaced under warranty. 1st sprung a leak in the body of the tank on it's 2nd fill. I think in this case the internal baffles may have been flexing and caused a puncture a bit like bending a tin can backwards and forwards. Next the following year again in the body of the tank and the last one the mounting angle web weld fractured. The last one fuel poured out (typically after I had just filled it at Mt Barnett Stn and I had to return to Perth from the GRR earlier than expected. In each case Longranger replaced my tank under warranty and the company I'd bought them from replaced them free of charge. We hope we have now solved the problem by putting rubber bushes between the mounting points and the tank mounting angles so as to allow a bit of flex and it seems to have worked well.
Fingers crossed no more problems.
To date I haven't had any issues with the transfer pump or hoses or filters.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 914418

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, May 21, 2021 at 18:49

Friday, May 21, 2021 at 18:49
Duncan
Good to see you mention the failure with the mounting systems. Many seem to not understamd a 4 wd during offroad stuff flexes and twists the chassis quite a bit. The tanks don't like that and having flex/padded mounts is probably essential for life of the tank.
FollowupID: 914425

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 21:44

Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 21:44
Hi Murray,
No problems with my Long Ranger 180 litre replacement rear tank on the Troopy which did a couple of hundred thousand k's over some of the roughest roads in Australia. It was supplied and fitted by ARB Maroochydore.

Mind you, the hoses used were possibly the original ones from the 2002 build.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 636474

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 07:30

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 07:30
Hi Murray,

Similar experience to Allan, my 100 Series Landcruiser had a 180 Ltr Longranger tank fitted for well over 200,000 kms without any problems, Gibb River Road, Tanami Track. 76 Series Wagon same story, 90,000 kms. Both fitted by ARB.

Perhaps the tank is not the issue. If as you have mentioned, you did the install, I can understand ARB’s reluctance to accept responsibility.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636478

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 08:45

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 08:45
If the hose is red it is possibility ortac and even though it has a habit of cracking the outer sheath it is a quality product. I have had no problems with my long ranger tank over 9 years
AnswerID: 636480

Reply By: 2517. - Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:44

Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:44
I have fitted 3 Long ranges tanks over the years, never had a problem with hoses but the mounting brackets were never right ,close but one bracket always need adjustment.
AnswerID: 636487

Sponsored Links