Isuzu Dmax right side mirror.

Submitted: Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:56
ThreadID: 141859 Views:6559 Replies:8 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Gday. Has anyone converted their drivers mirror from convex to flat glass. The only way I have seen is to silastic one onto the original, Any ideas appreciated. Thank you Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 12:13

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 12:13
Mick, answered your own question...........
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636598

Reply By: Kazza055 - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 13:21

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 13:21
I can't see why people are against the convex mirrors, they have been around for years, it is just a matter of getting yourself familiar with them.

My wifes Hyundai has had them since new and I don't think anything of diving her car or mine. In fact my D-Max has the Clearview mirrors and I find the convex section is great when wanting to see what is beside you.
AnswerID: 636601

Follow Up By: landymick - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:25

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:25
Gday Kazza. Thank you for your reply. It hasn't helped me very much. I dont like them because it is difficult to judge distance. The passenger side is fine. If your happy with them, thats good but I was looking for an alternative to the silastic gun. Thanks again for your reply Mick
FollowupID: 914548

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:45

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 14:45
Mick
Yes a piece of mirror cut to a pattern by a glazier is one solution, but the convex mirrors are ok'd for roadworthiness and good to use. Most people have their mirrors set far too high and able to check for low flying aircraft but cannot see the ground at rear of their vehicle to have a sensible perspective of distance with a convex mirror and so lose distance judging ability. If you can see the lower half of your caravan you must know the top half is still there so go low.
If you can see only the bottom half of a vehicle behind you, then you still know it is there, but seeing immediately at your rear markedly increases awareness and perception to the rear.
Mine are always set to see the trailer/van tyres and sometimes and with a bit more down even my own rear rear tyres. If not, a small amount of DOWN on the mirror control can be used to check tyre inflation while travelling. Easy to then check both sides and return to normal view. Flat mirror with eliminate a lot of possible vision and increase blind spots.
To increase reversing confidence, have mirrors adjusted at the lower level, once you get used to not seeing the tops of triple deck B doubles you will be safer. Try it and see. If maneouvering then you may need to UP the mirror vision for a short time when van is near overhanging buildings though.
AnswerID: 636603

Follow Up By: landymick - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 15:01

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 15:01
Gday RMD Thanks mate for your detailed reply. I will try that before I get the silastic out. I didnt think up or down would make any difference. Thanks mate Mick
FollowupID: 914551

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 16:53

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 16:53
I've done many mirror replacements like this over the years, a combination of being in the retail glass industry, and in the motor vehicle trades.

Yes, a template in paper can be taken, a new flat glass cut, arissed to shape nicely, and then neutral cure silicone into the backing . . . typically an old flat one the pieces (of a broken one) can be removed, the backing plastic frame cleaned up, and new glass glued in.

The edges (silver on the back) should be sealed with a clear spray, anything acrylic, there is a mirror edge sealer spray pack on the market.

Your old flat glass can be cut, removed, then the backing made suitable, by that I mean the backing plastic is probably curved too, ever so slightly, so this needs to be made suitable for the flat glass.
Generally a heat gun and some careful heating, flattening, should be good to go.

After the new glass is fitted to the mirror head, it needs to cure for a couple of days before refitting to the mount in the mirror.

Your plan to just silicone a new flat mirror onto the convex one CAN be done, might just be a bit more care required to ensure a high bead around the outer edge, it will sit more proud in the mirror though.
Once glued in place, a couple of alternating strips of 2" masking tape can hold in place for the drying time.

Neutral cure silicone is required, as it won't eat into the backing paint on the new mirror like acid cure will.
Give neutral cure 2 days to dry reasonably.
AnswerID: 636606

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 18:02

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 18:02
That is good advice Les. Avoiding silicon cure problems is handy to know.
FollowupID: 914557

Follow Up By: landymick - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:07

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:07
Good morning Les. Outstanding reply. That was the sort of info I was after. Thank you. All the best Mick
FollowupID: 914559

Reply By: sjp - Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 19:10

Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 19:10
first thing i did with my bt50 ,(hate them for reversing a boat etc and nearly had an accident in a hire car on holiday ),just got it cut and used outdoor double sided tape ,the grey stuff from supercheap ,still on there after 9 years .
AnswerID: 636609

Follow Up By: landymick - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:08

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:08
Thanks sip
FollowupID: 914560

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 07:39

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 07:39
First thing I did to my Colorado after buying it new.
Hated the convex mirrors which as you said gives a false judgement of distance, especially when reversing, or passing someone else.
Took my vehicle to a Glass retailer, who broke the original mirror glass, then remounted the new flat mirror glass on the original backing. I overcame the left hand blind spot with the use of a cheap small round stick-on mirror which I placed in the upper right corner of the left hand mirror.

I really don't know how the convex mirrors ever passed the ADR requirements. They may give a broader view but at the detriment of distance judgement.
How many times have you been "astounded" by a vehicle "cutting in" too quickly after passing you. That in my opinion is way more dangerous than a broader view.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636613

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 08:55

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 08:55
Bill, I also find the convex mirrors unnerving. They do provide a wider view but at the expense of distance judgement. I find a need to constantly recalibrate. The 'wide view' can be managed as it always was by a glance over the shoulder before manoeuvring but the convex view is deceptive. I seem to recall that some vehicles in the past had convex mirrors on the left side but plain on the right.

And, as you, I'm sure that those vehicles that cut-in after passing are relying on the view in their lefthand mirror which makes it appear that they are further in front than reality.

A mirror that is flat in the centre with some convex at the sides would perhaps satisfy the needs. Has anyone seen such? And yes, I am aware of truck mirrors with both flat and convex sections but too large for passenger vehicles.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 914558

Follow Up By: landymick - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:16

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 09:16
Gday Bill. I agree with you. In the 70s, I got a yellow sticker on a motorbike because of convex mirrors. Thanks for your answer. Mick
FollowupID: 914561

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:01

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:01
People who cut in probably have poor spacial relationship judgement ability. Some may even use the mirrors too. If the can see the ground at the rear of their vehicle then they then have the ability to also provide better judgement after overtaking. Overtaking is overtaking, passing is going the other way isn' t it? Sme people call overtaking passing. Driving at night a flash of lights tells a truckie they have cleared you and they can then "cut in" for safety reasons. As long as they have cleared you, and they are going faster, so in reality they are pulling away as travel continues. Some people get unnerved with a cut in but consider tailgating ok. That cut in, is negative tailgating as the clearance is increasing with time.
FollowupID: 914563

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:33

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:33
Its when merging into to a fast lane of traffic, is when convex mirrors can be dangerous, No good looking at your back wheel then!...Lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 914565

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 11:20

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 11:20
Funny how my missus can spend half a day looking in the mirror at home - but once she's in her car....

NO WAY is she looking in that mirror, she must think there's Huntsman's in it or something lol lol

Cheers
Gazz

FollowupID: 914566

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 17:37

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 17:37
Axle
When merging as you mention, you aren't going to achieve it unless matching in sync or bettering the other vehicle speed and it is knowing where the REAR of your vehicle is no matter which style of mirror you use. No one seems to practice or do any preliminary checking to become proficient and simply rely on the dynamics of it all and hope for the best. Some therefore get a scare.
FollowupID: 914571

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:17

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:17
Sadly, RMD, your posts indicate a failing in the driver education system, at least in this state (NSW). Drivers are taught only the rules, and then often the teaching is wrong. (Think the roundabout rule. It is NOT give way to the right. But I digress.)

ROADCRAFT is not taught and it bloody well should be!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914573

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 19:00

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 19:00
Frank
Quite a few years ago, in Vic, as a tech system instructor , I taught Traffic Safety Education, rules and driving skills, for 8 years. Not continued now but was very effective. Most, if not all driving instructors today really can't drive well. They may know the rules on the computer screen though. We had to do similar driving training to Ambulance people to become eligible to instruct students. Not much for instructors now. I also did the motor cycle course, being a bike owner. Riding a bike with flat or convex mirrors is something you quickly had to adapt to, or life is in danger. PS. Don't you just drive into a roundabout and hope? Are there rules?
FollowupID: 914604

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 21:18

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 21:18
RMD,

"PS. Don't you just drive into a roundabout and hope? Are there rules?"

Haha! If I drove into roundabouts according to the rules I would have been T-boned numerous times.

Everyone approaching a roundabout expects that everyone else is giving way to the right. Yet the word "right" does not appear in the roundabout rule. It's "give way to vehicles already in the roundabout". That means if someone on your left is entering a roundabout before you and there is risk of collision, you have to give way (because that vehicle will be in the roundabout before you), not charge in assuming you have right of way because you're on that person's right.

The first video in this Queensland Transport Safety page explains the nationally harmonised rule clearly. Sadly the NSW document presents the same thing as "give way to the right". WRONG!!!!!

Plod doesn't enforce the correct rule, so now the defacto is "give way to the right" and if you don't it's at your peril.

And turns. Why do people need to cross three lanes of a road when turning left or right into a multi lane road???

OMG, you've got me started!!!

[Flame proof suit on and retiring to a safe area] LOL
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914606

Reply By: Member - Roger K (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 21:59

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 21:59
Another possible option. If the fitting of the convex mirror on the driver's side is a fairly new innovation for the Dmax it might be possible to get a replacement glass for the prior model from a Dealer (or Wrecker). I did that on a 100 series LandCruiser some years ago. The old one popped out easily, and the new one (flat glass obviously) went into the holder like a hand in a glove, and I have never looked back since (so to speak). Total cost was about $35.00 from memory.
AnswerID: 636620

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:18

Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 22:18
"and I have never looked back since (so to speak)."

Gold, Roger!!!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914574

Follow Up By: Stevemac - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 18:05

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 18:05
Looking back (over your shoulder) is exactly what you should be doing when merging into a faster lane. That’s what I was taught as a young un. Same when parked and pulling out into traffic. You’ll get a better view than any mirror will give.
FollowupID: 914603

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 08:02

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 08:02
Stevemac, a quick head check yes.
Always safer to do this, and good exercise for neck too.

I also learned a bit over 40 years ago, never just look ahead, and never at a particular range.
Eyes should be moving all the time, distant, near, left right (mirrors) and back of course, 360o.
The objective is to always know where others vehicles are around you, to enable corrective action safely if ever needed.

There are also pedestrians, animals, cyclists etc to know are about too.

Mirrors are great for keeping a tab on things, but a head check is safer when executing the movement between lanes etc.

I always do the left / right head check before moving off a green light at an intersection too.
Seen way too many dashcam videos of red light runners to trust a clear departure.
FollowupID: 914607

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 08:33

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 08:33
Les, I absolutely agree. I also do all that you do.
And the "left-right" check before moving off at lights is very important.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 914608

Follow Up By: axle - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 11:14

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 11:14
Common sense plays a big part of it all as well, sadly most of that seems to have disappeared from. our roads these days.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 914609

Reply By: Phil G - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 16:13

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 16:13
Interesting to hear so many people not liking convex. All our recent vehicles have been convex on both sides - our 200series, the Troopy and my wife's Vitara turbo - I'm used to allowing for the extra distance and like the increased view. And we use rear view cameras so only pull back in when the front of the overtaken vehicle is in view.

Two years ago I changed the Troopy mirrors to a set of elephant ears towing mirrors but it was impossible couldn't get a good view out of the flat glass. I needed to see the top of the caravan, the tyre of the caravan as well as down the side and also minimise the blind spot for vehicles in the next lane. And the small convex mirror was pretty much useless.

So I ditched them and upgraded to the new MSA towing mirrors - large single convex mirror and the best mirror I've had - can see everything. I think a lot depends on the size of the mirror and a large slightly convex mirror is way better than a small very convex mirror.
AnswerID: 636631

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 19:41

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 19:41
Phil.
Good comment.
I was wondering how people who can't get used to convex mirrors, handle caravan, very wide angle reversing camera views, of that B double 500m back but really has the indicator on and about to overtake.
FollowupID: 914594

Follow Up By: Phil G - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 20:47

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 20:47
RMD,
Was crossing the Nullarbor a couple of weeks back and saw that sort of guy.
B-double was trying to overtake him and every time he pulled out, old mate towing the little caravan would drift over the centre line. Seemed like he had no idea the B double was there. B-double was patient and I guess after flashing his lights and maybe blowing his horn, he woke up old mate
FollowupID: 914595

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 22:22

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 22:22
Phil
I liked the comment near the start where good mirrors were fitted and "never looked back". The poster is a responsible person but the situation does happen.
I particularly admire the Jayco "Rapid" owners who get to a max speed of around 70/75kmh. I'm not sure what Rapid means anymore.
FollowupID: 914597

Sponsored Links