Using Go To on Traveller

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2021 at 11:08
ThreadID: 141877 Views:5433 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
"At this point, if you are online, you will be presented with at least one route option with turn-by-turn for the default mode of travel (see map below). If you are offline, you will not be able to select a Mode – the default will be straight line. All navigation data will therefore be supplied by the GPS instead of internet."

So does this mean if I select a place as Go To whilst connected to internet the proposed road route will change to a straight line only as per the no internet connection rule once signal is lost?

. With internet a road guide will be shown on the map. No internet only straight line shown on map.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 11:44

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 11:44
Big fish
No. If you tap Goto and you have internet, a route will be calculated. If you accept it will be stored in your device and you will be given turn by turn instructions and you will see the route following roads even when you lose internet.

If you tap Goto and you have no internet, your only option is straight line. If internet returns, you will still get only straight line guidance. If you recalculate in this situation you may get turn by turn. Logic says that will happen, but I haven't tried it myself.

I hope I got your question right?
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636625

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 11:45

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 11:45
Thanks Frank. Appreciated.
FollowupID: 914584

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 13:13

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 13:13
Frank, with all these tips you’re providing i hope you’re on the payroll :)
FollowupID: 914586

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2021 at 16:55
Frank obviously likes helping others. He explains thing very well and I would guess that a simple "thank you" is all that is required to keep him going.

The turn by turn engine that does the calculations is NOT in the app but on the ExplorOz website. So to get turn by turn you need the internet. But as Frank mentioned once a turn by turn track is calculated it is stored on your device and will guide you regardless of whether you have an internet connection or not. While following the calculated track if you deviate from it with no internet connection, it cannot do any recalculation. It just shows the calculated track and when you get back to the calculated track it will pick up guiding you to your destination. In the settings you can turn off automatic recalculation when you do have internet reception. This is a great feature as usually you deviate from the planned track for a good reason and you do not want to have a recalculation.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914602

Follow Up By: Darren B5 - Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 22:48

Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 22:48
i must be missing something. every time i calculate the track and then turn off the internet it defaults to straight line only. i want to create a trek now and use it next month and i probably won't have internet on the second and subsequent days
FollowupID: 914634

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 09:15

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 09:15
Darren,

Do you save it after calculating?
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914637

Follow Up By: Darren B5 - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 21:44

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 21:44
Thanks Frank,
i did save. i have been looking at other treks that i saved and one of them has part of the file save as turn by turn but not all. i am so confused.
FollowupID: 914653

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Jun 05, 2021 at 09:05

Saturday, Jun 05, 2021 at 09:05
I have had similar experiences when creating treks (online) on remote tracks. Sometimes it is clear that the track is not recognised/in the database used by the app and only straight line navigation is possible, other times, all appears well until a saved trek is loaded and the app will recalculate some segments of the turn by turn and or segments will be missing. Michelle has advised that if you identify the offending segments and try changing the mode to cycling or walking for these you can usually create a trek that will save and load. I have had mixed success doing this. Apparently the missing road segments can be only a few tens of metres say a causeway and sometimes this segment will need to be incorporated as straight line navigation. Michelle advised that it relates to a third party database of roads and tracks used by navigation apps.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914655

Sponsored Links