palm pda and gps

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 16:47
ThreadID: 14189 Views:1516 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a gps to match up with my palm tungsten pda. Yeah, I'm scared too. I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. Anybody out there know how to get them working together? The GPS is a Dconnex DC 230 mouse receiver, that is no screen, has to "talk" to something like a laptop or PDA. The instructions leave alot to be desired. I know it's probably got something to do with map reading software that I don't have yet. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:17

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 17:17
Your right you need oziexplorer or similar for it to talk to. If you get ozi you will need the full version for laptop or desktop & the CE for palm version for your PDA. Check out www.oziexplorer.com for more info. You can download trial versions to see how it all works befoer you buy it.
AnswerID: 65377

Reply By: Rokkitt - Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:12

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:12
Hi,

Did you receive any kind of test program, there is test software available from Oziexplorer - this should confirm the hardware is working.
Then purchase Oziexplorer or similar mapping software - you will also need some maps. Once you have the desktop version of Oziexplorer you can purchase the Palm edition and then the fun really begins.....

Rod
AnswerID: 65423

Reply By: Woody - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 21:55
If you want some good info on connecting Palm and other PDA's to GPS have a look at soaringpilot.com.
While the soaringpilot software is specifically designed for glider pilots it is a free Palm App so will let you play around with the interface and load waypoints etc. Unfortunately unsuitable for ground base use. The associated yahoo forum has plenty of info too if you have any issues with connectivity. You will have to determine data transfer protocol settings and GPS stream.

You should only require 3 wires between units. Data Send, Data Receive and Ground. My setup is a Palm VX with a Garmin Geko 301.

Woody
AnswerID: 65868

Reply By: rotten - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 16:55

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 16:55
Thanks for the input, I will try all of the above, fingers crossed.
AnswerID: 66297

Sponsored Links