Personal Places GPX Waypoint import.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 16:33
ThreadID: 141894 Views:1312 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
I do not seem to be able to import an OziExplorer Waypoint GPX file into Traveller.
This newsletter, ExplorOz General Newsletter 481, refers to GPX install, download, & delete options in the Personal Places. I cannot see that option.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Ian
Parso
2012 Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series Sahara.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 17:28

Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 17:28
Are you going to Places on the website?
The instruction in that newsletter although 3 years old is still correct. The GPX import is done on the website so that the data goes into YOUR ExplorOz account (online). You then open the app on your portable device and download the new Places into your device (you do this in Data Manager).
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636663

Follow Up By: Parsoian - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 11:03

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 11:03
Hi Michelle
I must be missing something as I cannot see where I can add a GPX file.
Screenshot attached
Sorry to be a nuisance.
Cheers
Ian
Parso

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914640

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:16

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:16
HI Ian,
Did you try to reload this page? Should be working fine.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914644

Follow Up By: Parsoian - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:38

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 14:38
Thanks Michelle
Now working fine.
Cheers
Ian
Parso

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914645

Reply By: Ian M50 - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2021 at 17:15

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2021 at 17:15
Some very strange & clunky logic in theirGPX import,
shame they don't follow industry standard and just let users import gpx from local file system and have them appear as waypoints....

Following works but is unnecessarily convoluted:

https://www.exploroz.com/newsletter/481

GPX IMPORTS NOW AVAILABLE
Traveller App users can now import GPX waypoints as Private Places. Simply go to the Places home page on the website here - Places and open the Private Places section where you'll find the GPX install, download, & delete options. During the install you have the option to label a set of waypoints together using a Group Name. Please be aware that at this stage, grouping is not shown from in the app (this is awaiting a new version update of the app which is not scheduled until the new year).

You then open the Data Manager in the app to update your Places database and all your imported waypoints will appear in your Private Places list. Private Places can be deleted or edited (renamed) from within the app or on the website. Changes to your Private Places made within the app will sync automatically to the website/server when you have sufficient internet service.

Note that any changes made on the website are not automatically copied to your device - you must go into the Data Manager and press Update (Places & Treks).
AnswerID: 636714

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2021 at 12:16

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2021 at 12:16
Please let me know what is clunky or not to standard with the GPX import system. We have thoroughly and completely aligned the import code and file reading processes to the published GPX file format schemas and standards.

If you are referring to in-app import I am working on that and it will be made available once I get it fully sorted, but to refer to some form of industry standard is rubbish, there is NO such standard published or documented more that some apps do it in certain ways and you expect it to be in a similar way. This is fine and no problem but please stop referring to non compliance to none existent standards as it has a different connotation and is more a form of implying our products do not confirm to published standards which is not true.

I expect to have places (wpt)/treks (trk)/routes (rte) in-app imports finished in the next few months but there are so many apps that do not conform to the published standards that I seem to always have to make adjustments for other users and developers lack of understanding what the standards do actually state and imply. Our restrictions and adoption to the standards is how we manage data integrity and this is of paramount importance to us. So having systems that allow people to 'cut and shunt' files together out of sequence without the right segmentation of the GPX file and additionally having mismatches of data elements within a single file is making the implementation that much harder and thus takes longer.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914683

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)