Journey to the centre of WA

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 19:30
ThreadID: 141897 Views:6071 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Images here

When asked “why did you climb Mount Everest”, Sir Edmund Hillary’s answer was “Because it is there”

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. – Sir Edmund Hillary

Just ticked a bucket list item on the KLR, 3100Kms to the very remote, very geographic centre of Western Australia. There is nothing there, no track, had to pick my way through the scrub. I had help from the owners of the cattle station the centre is on. It didn't look like anyone else had been here for a very long time if anyone had at all (I’m sure someone else has). The station owned said an old station bushy had piled up the rock’s years earlier.

Made my way to Paynes Find, then across to Sandstone, stayed there the night, in the morning made my way to Wiluna, filled up with fuel, and filled up the jerrys and headed northeast to Glen Ayle Station. This station is where the centre is. I spent 2 days with these guys, they were great. Best people you could meet. the helped me trek out to the centre, Old Lou (owner of about 70 YO, had no GPS, just a good memory of the bush, and how to find things by reading the land. I went out drilling wells with them, got an education on how a station runs. After a few days made my way to Carnegie Station, had a look around and stayed the night.

The next day started the trip to the gold fields. Buy this time there had been torrential rain throughout this area, and I had to turn around when the roads become impassable, I had to start and watch the fuel situation. I opted to go around and made my to Leonora and tented just off the road.

The next day headed off road and looked at the ruins and sights, the Niagara dam, old ghost towns, ended up at Ora Banda and stayed the night in the tent.

Got a tip off of a lagoon not far away, so instead of heading to look at the Super Pit I headed to this lake, it's a nice spot, freshwater and camping facilities. From here I had a look at the old Credo homestead and headed the back way into Coolgardie.

From here it was a 520kms commute home. There was a lot more, but this is the synopsis.

Here are a few pics along the way. (Sorry, there is a lot, but it was a long trip) It was a great adventure on a motorbike. When you are very remote it puts things in perspective, when one mistake, a misplaced cow or kangaroo can mean the end, the worries or concerns you have, melt away and become insignificant. maybe this was a secret the pioneers held.

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: ian - Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 23:29

Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 23:29
Hi JJ,
I think you will find that Mallory said " because it's there. (meaning that it had a presence, not a location)
Ed said" We knocked the bastard off!" after he and Tensing came back to camp.
Anyhow, I will now read your post with interest.
ian
AnswerID: 636668

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 06:21

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 06:21
Great pics, an interesting trip. The maps, are they from the Garmin In Reach? Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636671

Follow Up By: JJAdv - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 13:46

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 13:46
Nope, Hema map
FollowupID: 914641

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 07:58

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 07:58
Hi JJ,

Hard work on a motorcycle, but great pics.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636675

Sponsored Links