Aftermarket panels

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 19:42
ThreadID: 14193 Views:2711 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Couple of weeks ago I posted asking if anyone had had experience with aftermarket panels as I was replacing a lower gaurd on a hzj. I didnt get alot of help (except for the guy who suggested I write hers on the dent) so here is my experience. It fitted ok but need some modification to the placment of the bolt holes and wasnt a perfect fit. I wouldnt recomend it for anyone after a top quality finish. If you need to save money and have the time to muck around then it may be worth it. Just my experience btw genuine was $420 and aftermarket was $285
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:48

Sunday, Jun 27, 2004 at 21:48
Davoe,
Missed the first post, so this is probably too late for you. Non-genuine panels usually pressed from inferior quality steel, and usually less accurate as you have found. Depending on the size of the panel, it would need 4 - 6 individual pressings to create, with each die valued in the $100,000's, so the lower price comes from somewhere. The only change to this is someone like Rare-Spares who have been known to purchase original dies when manufacturers no longer use them, popular models often have new pressings made for 10 years + after the end of the model run, so it is profitable for them to keep producing. I remember new XY Falcon tailgate skins being pressed in 1986! You could still buy a newly manufactured XA/B/C bonnet until the early 90's. Did you look at fibreglass or Carbon fibre panels instead? Can often work out cheaper and more hassle free than steel? Might be something to look at in the future
Rolande
AnswerID: 65431

Follow Up By: Davoe - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:51

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:51
that was the sort of info I was looking for. I didnt consider f/glass because I know a guy with extensive f/glass in his fj 40 and the fit is attrocios if he had the money he would go back to metal. the part i got was ok and if I had had more time I could have achieved a better fit but I certainly wouldnt recomend aftermarket panels for quality repairs based on my xperience
FollowupID: 326411

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:02

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:02
"genuine was $420 and aftermarket was $285 "

So not much really in the way of savin $100, as you had to mod it to get it to fit, and you dont geta good finish..

None at wreckers?

AnswerID: 65487

Follow Up By: Davoe - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:10

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:10
every wrecker I phoned laughed and said not a chance. And yea it was against my better judgment but i thought if nothing else I will be able to share my xperience. And another thing to consider is would a genuine part have fitted straight on? I guess you would hope so
FollowupID: 326435

Reply By: rolande- Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 18:32

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 18:32
Davoe,
If in the same situation again, I read about a guy in Wauchope, Northern NSW who runs a GQ Ute in comps. Found he could fabricate and sell carbon fibre panels for less than O.E.M panels. May be worth a bit of investigation
Rolande
AnswerID: 65558

Sponsored Links