EO Traveller Navigation Mapping

Submitted: Friday, Jun 11, 2021 at 21:38
ThreadID: 141954 Views:5073 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just using Traveller on our trip and twice it has sent me the long way around. Google maps shows the best way. Example - Eyre Hwy to Maralinga Security Gate. Traveller goes along the Trans Aust railway mtce track . Legal ? Second example - Wirrulla to Kingoonya. Traveller suggest going via Port Augusta. Adding a waypoint on the track made it decide a longer route than Gawler Rge road which is the obvious choice. Have I got a setting wrong or is it sponsored by a fuel company ?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Briste - Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:04

Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:04
Speaking as a brand-new user of Traveller who has just read the manual (yes, I know, something novel), page 26 has some tips about turn-by-turn guidance and 4x4 tracks. In particular "Some segments of some 4x4 tracks will not have turn-by-turn guidance in driving mode but turn-by-turn will often exist in the Cycling or walking mode ...". There are also a few other possible reasons on that page. As a new new user I can't be certain that this is the cause of your problem, but it's probably worth reading that page and looking at the suggested workarounds.

This really surprises me for what is promoted a leading off-road mapping application. I guess there's a reason for it.
AnswerID: 636775

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 13:27

Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 13:27
For those kinds of destination.. its a poor choice to put your trust in any turn by turn navigation platform. There's always interesting ways of getting to places and you're better of just looking at a map and googling for ideas.
AnswerID: 636778

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 15:48

Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 15:48
Pedro
The mapping system doesn't "send you" it is you who decides to follow!
You didn't give a comparison where Google maps shows a path to same location, so we are none the wiser.
Both systems cannot possibly know and indicate all factors when deciding travel on tracks or roads. You have to have some sense of reality. I haven't used Traveller but a few devices I have owned, have at times indicated to turn and travel through locked gates and open paddocks where there is no road at all. Always be prepared for some limitations.
AnswerID: 636779

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 16:00

Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 16:00
In both of the examples Google maps showed the "normal route" all travellers take. EO Traveller didn't.
The departure point off the Eyre Hwy to Maralinga is the Iluka Road to their minesite east of Yalata.
Why EO turns left at the TA railway line is a mystery. Try it yourself
FollowupID: 914713

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 21:53

Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 21:53
Agree .. a lot of these navigators don't necessarily know the best or the route you want ..
Depending on what you have it set on .
We ones had a navigator try and navigate us across the barrage is at The Coorong lakes SA "locked Gates" hmm.. But i bet you traveller app will have better maps when it come to the bush !
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 914714

Reply By: Briste - Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 21:00

Saturday, Jun 12, 2021 at 21:00
I tried Wirrulla to Kingoonya in both Traveller and Google Maps. In line with my earlier comment about the tips on page 26 of the manual, to get the same direct route in Traveller as you get in Google you need to select cycling or walking rather than driving. As the manual says can happen on 4x4 tracks.

I agree that turn-by-turn directions aren't really what you need in remote areas, but you do want the shortest A->B route, and in some situations it seems that you have to specify a mode other than driving in order to get either / both. Which still stikes this new user as odd.
AnswerID: 636781

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Monday, Jun 14, 2021 at 22:42

Monday, Jun 14, 2021 at 22:42
Looks like I will be cycling everwhere
FollowupID: 914733

Sponsored Links