Warburton Crossing

Has anyone been over Warburton Crossing on the way to/from the Rig Road or K1 recently?

I can see that the crossing is open, however I'm curious as to whether there is any water either at the crossing or in any of the nearby waterholes listed in the ExplorOz "place" marker.

TIA

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 16:26

Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 16:26
Hi George, a recent post below on K1 Line touches on Warburton X.

https://www.exploroz.com/forum/141996/k1-line-simpson-desert

It's usually tough getting good recent info, as not many go in that way (mostly for fuel reasons), or take time to explore those waterholes.
I reckon you can readily find out / confirm the X being open, but will probably just have to go take a look at other aspects like the waterholes when going through.

When are you heading there ?
Must consider the water there isn't usually local rain, but can come from the north of the Lake Eyre basin, some 400 km south of the Gulf of Carpentaria, can take months to come down too.

Enjoy the drive whenever you go.
AnswerID: 636884

Follow Up By: George_M - Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 18:33

Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 18:33
Thanks Les.

The bride and I need to be in Central Queensland in about four weeks - one of the challenges is, of course, getting out of Victoria..

We normally travel up the Newell, and because of the emerging COVID-19 situation in NSW we have developed Plan B. This is up through the Flinders Ranges and the Birdsville Tk.

A loop across Warburton Crossing, up the K1 and over the QAA line to Birdsville is a good way to flap the creases out of a sand flag that I haven't used for two years- hence my question about WarburtonX.

George

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914827

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 20:08

Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 20:08
Cheers George, it's an interesting way to go.
Hopefully it will be open and you can go explore that route.
The sand flag will appreciate the airing out too.
FollowupID: 914829

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 20:04

Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 at 20:04
Saw a video recently, George, of a group travelling towards K1, and crossing one of the channels at the Warburton. Water wouldn’t have been anymore than 300mm, perhaps even less. That crossing looked like it had been sheeted with gravel, and the vehicle rolled through it easily. I’d imagine that if this channel was running, within last 2-3 weeks, then there’d be ample water in any waterholes near the crossing.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 636887

Follow Up By: George_M - Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 14:59

Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 14:59
Thanks Bob - that's most helpful.

I'm looking for a campsite between Copley and Birdsville, and Warburton Crossing seems to fit the bride's criteria for isolation and water.

George

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914845

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 07:11

Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 07:11
The problem with the Warburton isn't so much the crossing as it has a gravelled hard bottom but the country on either side. It is all that grey fine alluvial which when dry is hard but the slightest shower of rain turns into a skating rink and any further rain or floods creates bottomless bogs that don't dry out for weeks or months.
As the track gets further north it skirts lots of little saltpans and lakes and it isn't until you get right up towards the yellow sand that it is into the desert proper.
Parks won't say it is open unless the whole route up to K1 is trafficable as the bottom end travels through station country and they don't want tourists bogged or on the track cutting it up when wet.
AnswerID: 636892

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 08:02

Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 08:02
That grey alluvial soil splatters up into the wheel wells and sets hard like concrete when there's any rain. It was a nightmare for me once, never seen anything like it. Wrecked a set of new tyres and a few wheel sensors.
FollowupID: 914834

Follow Up By: George_M - Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 15:05

Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 15:05
Thanks for that, Peter and Michael.

If the country around the crossing is still too damp to camp we'll continue on to the gidgea country on the K1.

George

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 914846

Sponsored Links