Motorhome Camping IN NZ

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:01
ThreadID: 142012 Views:6210 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I would love to hear from anyone who has recently motorhomed in NZ recently. My partner and I am going in August for 6 weeks and hiring a motor home. We prefer to Freedom camp as much as possible and I would like advice as which organisations etc I should consider joining or subscribe to, that would give me the information that would need re where to stay etc. The most recent information that I can find here in any previous threads re NZ iare from 2014 and earlier so I think they are too out of date to be too useful.

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 21:55

Monday, Jun 21, 2021 at 21:55
Check some of these spots

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/stay-at-a-campsite/freedom-camping/

Lots of free camps around NZ
AnswerID: 636901

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 07:17

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 07:17
I suggest you get Wikicamps NZ on your phone or tablet for a good guide to campsites, free or not.
The highlight drive for me, and there were many to choose from, was from Te Anau to Milford Sound. Spectacular isn't a good enough word for it. Watch out for the brazen parrots that land on and in your car and start chewing on the rubber bits while you're out taking photos.
AnswerID: 636904

Reply By: mike39 - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 08:38

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 08:38
Not recently, but on the 3 trips to NZ we used a firm called "wenderkreisen" for our camper hire. Very good rates and service.
There is not much need for joining travel organisations, information is readily available. We free camped all the way, van parks are pretty exy.
Plenty of NP's, free lakeside/riverside spots, more so on the S Island.
Your camper/MH must be self contained.
mike
AnswerID: 636906

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 09:18
Not for 30 years, :) but if you join the CMCA (Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia) here I think they have reciprocal rights in NZ or the equivalent club in NZ, you will find that they have campsites reserved exclusively for members and have access to details of publicly available sites.
It is ESSENTIAL that the motorhome is fully self contained with toilet and grey water tank.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 636907

Reply By: Geoff K4 - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 08:56

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 08:56
We have motor homed NZ South Island twice. The first time we loved it and plenty of Freedom camps to choose from along the way around. The second time was 2 years ago just before Covid shut everybody down. We then got the feeling that Freedom camping was not what NZ really wanted. Now if you price the motorhome daily rates, freedom camping is the way to go but more and more we found they wanted us to use their caravan/motorhome parks. This way increases your daily cost. Another time before, we hired a car and used motels/hotels. This is by far the cheapest way to travel NZ.
AnswerID: 636940

Sponsored Links