Stirling pop top suspension

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 15:38
ThreadID: 142032 Views:7512 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 2010 Jayco Stirling out back poptop that is around 18ft. We have broken 3 main leaf springs (1L& 2R) and I am becoming tired of this occurrence.. has anyone replaced the rocker suspension with roller rocker??..It seems to me to be a better setup and many owners of vans with this suspension are doing mile after mile without any problems. We have had little to no support
from Jayco other than go to our local dealer when at the time we were in Karumba and we live in Newcastlle NSW Thanks in advance
Clive & Jan Owens
cliveowens50@gmail.com

cliveowens50@gmail.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 18:50

Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 18:50
Clive
Bad to hear of your repetitive problem. Where on the leaf are these spring leaves breaking? Where they are breaking is possibly an indicator of a design failure. Please let us know ! Near front eye? Near rear eye? across the centre bolt hole? Mid leaf?

Different situation, but,
While Jayco suspensions have improved immensely, earlier offroad popup campers often broke their axles off the swing arm because of the high curvature, non compliant 9 leaf spring pack. It was unforgiving and the axles copped it.
AnswerID: 636933

Follow Up By: Clive O - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 09:52

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 09:52
Each of the 3 times this has happened was about 50/70 ml in front of the rear spring bolt...not the shackle but the very rear of the rear spring...thank you for your reply. Clive
FollowupID: 914877

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:48

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:48
Clive
If breaking there 50/70mm in front of eye, that would indicate to me the spring under leaves are not supporting the main leaf sufficiently well enough and possibly the breaks are near the end of the second leaf. ie too much main leaf protruding past second leaf. The wrenching forces created when travelling over bumps, by the equaliser/load share section, is probably causing unusual bending forces in that area.
Does the spring have capture wraps to hold the main and second leaf together OR are they free to flap?
To me, it is the design of the spring pack at fault. OR, if there is a difference between each side, the springs may have been fitted "back to front" if the eye, centre, eye distances are equal.

If the packs have a difference, one end to the other and the centre bolt hole IS in the centre then I would think the front spring pack and the rear spring pack on that side would be fitted in a reverse position to each other to cater for the equaliser forces and movement. ie, strongest end near the equaliser. The fitting of a pack the correct orientation caters for bump forces and compliant action.

for example. 60 series LC have a front spring pack with the longer end to the front, but the rear packs are the other way around. Mostly for control of bump steer purposes though.
It might be that the caravan manufacturer/assembler "dud" has fitted both side packs the same orientation and not as they should be, purely because the centre bolt IS in the centre and they look the same on a Monday or Friday morning. If replaced in same way the fault is reinstated. All depends if the spring packs differ either side of centre. Just a few possibilities to check!
FollowupID: 914879

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 22:06

Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 22:06
Putting shock absorbers on will relieve a lot of the stresses caused by rough roads. Alko Caravan Shock Absorbers

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636936

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 23:00

Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 23:00
Let your tyres down....and dont use light truck rated tyres. Jayco poptops are reasonably light....and running tyre pressures around 30 to 32 PSI suits them very well...unless of course you absolutely have run at 100plus k an hour ...where 34 is better.
I never had any problems with our Jayco Discovery at those pressures....and still run them on our Journey...tho it has independent suspension as well.

HTH.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636937

Sponsored Links