Building fold up trailer

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 03:50
ThreadID: 142034 Views:6993 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey explorers,

Im a long time lurker on these forums and now i have finally joined in order to ask a favour.

We just did 18 months on the road in our caravan and are gearing up and saving money to have another go at it before the kids start school.

As you can imagine with a wife and two little ones
I am constantly looking for ways to save money.

I cannot go exploring again without a fold up boat trailer for the car topper.....so ive decided to build one myself.
I have a fabricator / boiler maker friend who will inspect my work but apart from that I'm on my own.

Does anyone know any information resources i could tap into? And heres the big favour.....

I am wondering if anyone in the melbourne metro area has either a mangrove jack or dunbier (newer model) alluminium folding trailer.

All i need is to spend 2 hours with it in ur driveway so i can wrap my head around it and get a few ideas.
I will be basing the trailer on these two models because they are the lightest but will need to change it and create my own design as our car topper is too wide for them (and copyright trade marks etc)

Any help is greatly appreciated and will be repaid in drinks of your choice.

Cheers

Phrankia (Nick)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 08:55

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 08:55
Hi Nick,

Having watched some of the “All 4 Adventure” UTube videos, they have a detachable hitch that they connect to the front of their tinnies, and a couple of clamp on wheels that they clamp to the gunwales near the back. They use this set up to tow the tinnies behind quad bikes. Perhaps you could do something similar, you would off course need to have a “light bar” and cables attached to the rear of the boat for brake/tail/indicator lights. May be even lighter than a collapsible trailer.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636939

Reply By: Rod W6 - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 09:51

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 09:51
Have a look in / join this forum https://metalworkforums.com/ . I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info and knowledge at your disposal.
AnswerID: 636942

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 20:54

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 20:54
You will need to finds someone to approve the trailer and issue a VIN number. Talk to them early before going too far.
Patent laws allow you to make ONE off of something for your own PERSONAL use, but you can not get someone else to make it for you and you may never sell it.
There is a National Code of Practice document called "Building small trailers". The one I have is 2009. Too big to post here. Sums it all up nicely.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 636949

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 20:55

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 20:55
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Double-up Post Removed Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 636950

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Saturday, Jun 26, 2021 at 03:58

Saturday, Jun 26, 2021 at 03:58
Nick: FB page "travelling oz with a tinny" might be a good place to research ...l,'v seen them talk about them & selling S/H
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 636955

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Jun 26, 2021 at 10:51

Saturday, Jun 26, 2021 at 10:51
I,ve got the aluminium fold up from Almac trailers. total weight about 45kgs. Simple and an easy design to copy...however I,m in FNQ. Go onto the website for inspiration. They are a very simple design and easily copied. Wouldnt worry about the patent stuff as you will be making it yourself and designing it to suit. The Almac trailer I purchased and easily carries a 3.7mt quintrex outback...your car topper certainly wont be wider than this tinny. Personally I,d buy a second hand one (mate picked up one for $600.
AnswerID: 636957

Sponsored Links