Border Track Victoria (Pet)

Hi,
We are looking to get away for the school holidays and would love to take the children camping. I had my eye on the Border Track:
https://www.exploroz.com/treks/border-track

4 questions:

1) As the track passes through a couple of National Parks can we take our dog? (1 year old & children won't leave it behind)

2) The link above says the difficulty is basic. Our car is a 4Motion VW with a rear locker so not have hard core 4WD.

3) Any recent updates on track conditions?

4) Looks like the track crosses into SA at times. Is this an issue due to CV19?

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:24

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:24
1) SA Parks are definitely no dog zones, in fact if just travelling through parks here, you can be fined with a dog in the car if stopped, not even letting them out. I've seen this happen.
Not sure about just travelling through, but while one could drive from say the usual Malle Hwy south to Red Bluff camp, it'd be a big day and not fair on the dog or kids.

2) I don't know the capability of your vehicle, or your experience on sand, but looked up 4motion, it's AWD.
I've seen 4wds with good drivers struggle on some of the dunes, that is when soft and fluffy / deep sand like in warmer months.
When wet it's a lot easier, and there are detour tracks around the worst of the hills on the BT.
The locker is of no use on sand, it would in some of the muddier parts down the bottom.
I'd be concerned about clearance too, very easy to bottom out.

3) It changes all the time, but at the moment it'd be pretty much at it's easiest.
Only thing is with all the possible rain going through, the mud down the southern end might be quite high, NEVER drive into shallow mud / puddles, some of the holes are higher than some vehicles.

4) The track is mainly in SA.
I don't think we have any bans on travel from most places, only NSW metro now ?
You'd have to check that online, can change so fast as you'd know.

From the sounds of your questions, I'd be inclined to give it a miss, especially if travelling solo, and with a decent load like you'll have with a family / gear on board.
Just not sure how much you value your cars paint (pinstriping) of undercarriage etc if things are tougher than you expect.

Maybe do part of it ?
From the south, not in the Parks ?
There'd be a couple of options for a loop from / back to the Dukes Hwy.
AnswerID: 636944

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 14:15

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 14:15
The track is one way only in some parts , north south . National parks no dogs .
And from what i understand you'l need border pass if crossing border's even with out restrictions .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 914883

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 15:09

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 15:09
For sure you can do from the southern end up to Shaugh Tk, which is the park southern boundary, and well above Red Bluff campsite.

Just an option.

If spending a bit of time there, like 3 - 5 days, you could easily camp 2 or 3 days at Red Bluff, do some of the dunes around there out of Ngarkat with no load on vehicle), then do a loop into the Vic deserts, some very nice tracks in there as long as it's not too wet (thinking Murrayville Tk / Rd skating rink when wet).

It'd be more interesting to do a loop like that through to Wyperfeld and get closer to home if Vic was the home base.
FollowupID: 914884

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 18:28

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 18:28
You also face the issue of wild dog baiting in and around all those areas !

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 914889

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 23:10

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 23:10
"The link above says the difficulty is basic. Our car is a 4Motion VW with a rear locker so not have hard core 4WD."

This page - What is 4MOTION? - indicates that there are 9 VW models that can come with 4Motion. Which one do you have? Is the rear diff locker a factory option or one you have fitted?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636954

Sponsored Links