Any ideas on locating a CDMA Antenna

Submitted: Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:14
ThreadID: 14208 Views:1627 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Based partially on discussions on this forum I have bought a RFI CD1795 6db GSM/CDMA antenna. I have a mounting bracket for the bull bar which I was think of using for this. Reception wise is the bull bar as good a place as any to mount the antenna. This antenna has a fibreglass radome and is inflexible so hard wiring a roof mount doesn't sound like a good idea though probably the best place for reception. The only other place I was thinking was a bonnet or mirror mount.

Also with CDMA phones is it usual for them to beep every now and again. Mine is a Samsung.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:36

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 17:36
Crowie,

you don't mention a spring mount for the antenna or anything. I have a fibreglass 6dB gain antenna on the bull bar and have no doubts as to it's capability. A patch lead for the GSM phone works well too. I can't quite read you mind as to whether you have a boot to mount the antenna on either. I have often seen them there too.

Could be quite a club to hit anything with for a roof mount particularly if you didn't have a spring on the base.
AnswerID: 65546

Follow Up By: crowie - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 19:58

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 19:58
JohnR

Thanks. Like your kit.

The antenna itself is enclosed by a fiberglass rod with a spring base.
I wouldn't put it on the roof for obvious reasons but had been wondering whether performance was okay when they are mounted on the bull bar which is my preferred position. You have answered that. Also heard of external mirror mounts

Antenna performance is usually best when put on a flat surface.
Have also been told not to put it too close to UHF antenna due to possible interference.

I have a GUII Patrol wagon so no boot. Also have a patch cable for my CDMA. If the CEO wants to use her GSM she will have to buy her own cable.

Regards Crowie
FollowupID: 326491

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 22:28

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 22:28
crowie,
This antenna will work fine on the bullbar and last longer ie the extra height on the roof helps untill you clout a low branch or carport.
If UHF is also on Bullbar try and place one on each side.
Latest CD1795's are rated at 6.5db but don't worry .5db is hardly noticeable.
As a matter of interest these Antenna's are actually Printed on plastic film and rolled prior to inserting in F'glass tube which makes them very light with most of the weight in the base and spring and only 1 join at the coax.
RFI have put a lot of thought into this antenna and come up a winner - they also have a matching UHF version.

Cheers
Bob L
AnswerID: 65598

Follow Up By: crowie - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 17:22

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 17:22
Bob L

Thanks for the info. Seems like one of th ebest antenna's. Mine is an Ebay special so a little older. Going to mount it on the Bull Bar away from the UHF CB later this week.

Thanks

Crowie
FollowupID: 326601

Reply By: Magnus - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:25

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:25
Crowie,

Have had CDMA since it was introduced. No beeps from mine. Hyundai and now Nokia. Sounds like a warning sound of some sort.

Cheers

Magnus
AnswerID: 65628

Follow Up By: crowie - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 17:18

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 17:18
Thanks Magnus - relitively new to me. Will check it out with Telstra. could be something to do with being pre-paid.
FollowupID: 326600

Sponsored Links