Tyre pressure monitors

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 19:25
ThreadID: 142083 Views:6150 Replies:15 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted tyre pressure monitors to there tyres. Looked at a few articles on the UTube and looks like they have had issues with some brands,any recommendations .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 19:45

Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 19:45
Hi Kerry,
Do a search of the forum. Lots of recent discussions.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637017

Reply By: Member - Gordon B5 - Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 20:03

Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 20:03
Got home last week after 7,000 km. First trip with Safety Dave TPMS worked fine. 4 on car 2 on camper didn't charge the internal unit the whole trip which reminds me still haven't. very happy with what I have
He who hesitates is lost

AnswerID: 637018

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 20:16

Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 20:16
Yes, many people have, they are sold everywhere.
Some are stem fitting and some internal band styles. The pressure may be indicated well enough but the stem isn't indicative of the tyre temperature. Internals read the temp at the rim which is bolted to a heat sink flange and axle. Therefore it can't be the true tyre temp either. If the batteries go flat it is tyre off to replace them, silly.
A stem system I think is ok and 4 wheel system can be used to read rear tyres and 1 axle on a caravan. I can feel front steering tyres if not near correct.
If you want to know tyre temps, stop sometimes and read them first hand with an infrared temp gun. Far more accurate because it is real time . Once read, you have ability to know the situation/s as it applies to you.
AnswerID: 637021

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 13:10

Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 13:10
I,ve tested my TPMA compared to air pressure and a temp gun. Both give almost the exact same readings . Very happy. Digi ops 6 valve model.
FollowupID: 915016

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 20:58

Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 20:58
Hi Kerry,
I had SensaTyre on my previous 200 Series. It is an internal system which measures both temperature and pressure. It worked well and with the one puncture I had it set off the alarm and when I stopped the tyre was only half deflated. Unfortunately it was a side wall issue so the tyre could not be repaired otherwise it was undamaged.
I found that the temperature measurement was of greater value than the pressure measurement. As mentioned in another post it may not be absolutely accurate, however it does give a good indication. If the temperature rises either slow down or pump the tyres.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 637024

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 21:23

Thursday, Jul 01, 2021 at 21:23
I have used a cheap eBay set for the last 4 years. It's an external model and so far I had to replace one battery (out of 4 units). I am not too concerned about inaccurate temperature readings because pressure and temperature are directly proportional. I aim to keep my "hot" pressure no more than 4psi above "cold". Occasionally I manually check the pressure and temperature to calibrate. So far so good.
AnswerID: 637025

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 07:40

Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 07:40
My ebay set saved me a near new tyre up near Arkaroola last year so I'd say they're worth it.
AnswerID: 637029

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 18:01

Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 18:01
I have had two sets of the more expensive brand name units over the years and now just use the eBay cheapies and they do the job just fine
FollowupID: 915002

Reply By: Bazooka - Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 13:06

Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 13:06
Exploroz search is hit and miss Kerry, so this should help:

Google TPM search of Exploroz

or, enter this in Google: tyre pressure monitors site:exploroz.com
AnswerID: 637033

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 18:27

Friday, Jul 02, 2021 at 18:27
You'll more than likely get external sensors, and my advice is if you air down and up a lot for beaches, or changing outback road conditions, get a 2nd valve hole drilled in the rims, opposite the factory one.
You can leave the sensors on permanently and use the 2nd valve to do the airing down / up.
Some of the sensors are a pain when removing and replacing (security features, potential cross threading), and if doing this often as many 4WDrs do, it leaves you open to eventually damaging one.
AnswerID: 637036

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 13:11

Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 13:11
Be simpler just to buy a t piece valve.
FollowupID: 915017

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 18:12

Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 18:12
Simpler, but fiddly.
If only for very rare use, then it'd be worth considering.

I used the shortest valve stems I could fine, think they were 20mm, otherwise the sensors can really take a beating on corrugated roads.
I had a slow leak in one tyre once and found a couple of longer stems on 2 rims that were about to let go as they'd cracked almost through from such vibration.
FollowupID: 915021

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 08:22

Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 08:22
I bought a set of Masten TP-19 some time ago.
It comes standard with 6 external sensors and I have used them with success on outback trips.
I don't run them all the time, only when traveling and usually towing our Camper Van.
After initially finding the monitor was not consistently picking up the two Van sensors (I think due to the portable fridge in the back blocking line of sight to the monitor) I added the optional booster module and this fixed the problem.
Another option is internal sensors can be purchased and employed if desired, even with a mix of both external and internal sensors.
When the Van is not being towed, a simple push of two buttons together, will revert monitoring to just the 4 vehicle sensors. When you hook your Van up, you simply re-activate full monitoring with the same button sequence.
Up to 22 wheels can be monitored by the purchase of additional sensors, either internal or external.
I do not bother with the lock nuts on the external sensors, as I can more easily remove them to air down the tyres when traveling off-road. But lock nuts and angled spanner are included in the kit, if extra security is required.
The external sensors have removable button batteries and the sensors can be disassembled with the use of two supplied tools, when batteries need replacing after a year or so,

This tyre monitoring system does everything I require of it and I find it very flexible and reliable.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637043

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 13:54

Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 13:54
I also have just the basic set of 4 Masten screw onto the valve type monitors, and they have performed flawlessly. Plenty of corrugations, but no deep water crossings. Batteries still going after 2 years.
A quick glance and I know how the tyres are going ...... very reassuring.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637046

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 17:13

Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 17:13
I have six tyredog tpms over three years old and still ok. I have fitted short valve stems so they are a little closer to the rim and less flexing.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

AnswerID: 637047

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 18:14

Saturday, Jul 03, 2021 at 18:14
I found that too with my Masten heavy duty sensors.
20mm stems prevented the problem.
FollowupID: 915022

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2021 at 08:15

Sunday, Jul 04, 2021 at 08:15
Hi, just fitted 10 - "Safety Dave" for this trip to Darwin now, all good so far...
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

AnswerID: 637050

Reply By: Member - David H72 - Monday, Jul 05, 2021 at 07:32

Monday, Jul 05, 2021 at 07:32
Have been running Safety Dave for 6 years now. Have travelled over 70,000 km in that time on all sorts of roads (Tanami, Oodnadatta, Binns, Gibb, east Arnhem, and gravel Savannah Way for example ) and never had a problem.
No issues with cracked or broken valve stems, has saved me 4 tyres over that time including a failed drum brake on my camper.
I don’t bother with security screws, just screw them on like a valve cap. We mount the display in front of my wife so she can easily keep an eye on pressures and temps. Replaced the batteries once.
Can’t speak highly enough of them. Another BIG plus is the after sales service from Safety Dave.
David
Melbourne Vic. Land Rover Disco 4, AOR Matrix Pop Top

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637054

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 05, 2021 at 10:38

Monday, Jul 05, 2021 at 10:38
Just came out of the Simpson last Friday, where I used a friend's spare TPMS for about a week. So impressed with them, I ordered a couple of sets last night.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637056

Reply By: Member - Andrew W14 - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2021 at 15:36

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2021 at 15:36
I have the Doran external monitors. Sold here by LSM Technologies. Generally accepted as best available ( but most expensive) and used by the trucking industry.
I have had to replace 2 of the eight due to battery, but that’s after nearly 4 years use as we are full time travellers.
Have broken one sensor (rock climbing) but corrugations and stones don’t seem to bother them.
Very accurate and a good clear monitor that allows for various changes with different warning levels of pressure loss.
As I said expensive but well worth the price in my view.
AnswerID: 637067

Sponsored Links