Track Logs - Segment Explorer and Updates

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 03, 2021 at 17:42
ThreadID: 142320 Views:5692 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Shel had to go out and has left me to write this post tell you about the updates happening in Track Logs. Over the last several weeks (in fact 3 months nearly) I have been head down writing a whole new Track Logs system. This update is to better support offline track log management (creating, editing and on device importing) in the ExplorOz Traveller app. But the biggest part of this body of work was to rewrite the whole track log data management and web site front end to align the app, website and database together.

Anyway today I have published the first update to the database and website. So what is this all about, let me start by showing you the new format of the track log system by embeding a trip we did a few years ago.

You will see the new interface above, note on the RHS (or bottom if your display is small) a thing called "Segment Explorer" and also a check box labelled "Overnight Locations".

Overnight Locations will display markers on the map at the positions where you were when the local time at the location crossed midnight. Turn this on and off to see the markers.

Segment Explorer is where all the good stuff is now installed so click on this and you will see a panel with the photos from the trip plus the day by day break downs of the Track Log. In this break down we show the daily start & end times (inc time zone) plus distance, moving time, speed average & max, elevation loss and gain, min and max slope %. If you click/tap on any segment in the RHS panel it will highlight and zoom in to the selected segment, you can also click on the lines on the map and the segment will highlight. Now click on the full screen option (LHS button with 4 arrows), this will blow up the display to use your full screen - now the segments will also show you an elevation profile graph at the bottom of the map showing the altitude changes on the segment. Click around and have a play.

If you have some Track Logs on the system you may want to jump over to the Track Logs system and have a look at your own data. The segments are made up automatically based on days of travel. When viewing your own data you will also have a number of edit controls. When you highlight a segment you will see a trash can on the RHS this will allow you to remove the segment from the Track Log - yes you can remove a days logs from within the record (2 clicks to activate). Additionally in the map panel you will see a button called Edit - if you click this you can however your mouse over any of the markers and see the details from the position, click/tap you will have the option to move or delete the selected point from the map. If you enable Map Edit you must turn it off again by clicking the Edit button to re-enable the other controls.
** Please note if you delete a segment or positions they are gone **

So what about using this within the ExplorOz Traveller app, well I have already written most of this including line colour choice, offline edit, import from file and everything else you can see on the web version however I now need to spend some time migrating back a few features I added to the website plus ensure all issues and bugs are ironed out. So it will be a few weeks away still but the options shown on the web version will all be included and more within the app very soon.

There may be some little issues still floating around so please report anything strange if you encounter anything that does not seem right.

Personally I think it adds heaps of data analysis and value to the track log data and we hope you like this new update. As always feedback and thoughts welcome.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2021 at 18:51

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2021 at 18:51
David.. this looks GREAT. I've had a quick play with one of my Tracklogs and I really like the new features. Well done.

AnswerID: 637373

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 06:59

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 06:59
The "overnight locations" stuff is great!!

One minor issue noted:

- Select a Track Log
- Turn on Overnight Locations
- Switch to Satellite view
- Observe that Overnight locations are gone (have to toggle the "Overnight Locations checkbox" to make them reappear).

AnswerID: 637376

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:40

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:40
Duncan,

Thanks for the heads up. Fixed that one.

I also added some map markers to show the photo locations - when you hover over the photos in the RHS it highlights the marker on the map where the photo was taken. Not sure how this will work on mobile touch devices but time and testing will tell - works great on website, browser with mouse.

Oh dear there is a lot of code clean up to do it is very messy behind the scenes but easier to get it right first and tidy up later.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915434

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 13:39

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 13:39
Ah nice. Photo locations extracted... Good thinking!
FollowupID: 915438

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 07:54

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 07:54
Had a very quick look at our last trip. The overnight locations feature looks great, just wouldn't want Mr Plod to see the max speed figure, amazing how quick you can get to 130+ when overtaking. Won't be an issue when towing though. I'll be keen to explore the other features. A great product getting better.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637377

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 10:26

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 10:26
That is a neat feature
AnswerID: 637378

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 12:10

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 12:10
This is excellent, David. Thank you.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637380

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 15:50

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 15:50
I just had a look at our 2019 trip to the Centre and noticed that the segment between Oodnadatta and Coober Pedy showed a max speed of 280.4 kph. I couldn't see anything wrong with the tracking, but there must be some bad data somewhere.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 637386

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 10:03

Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 10:03
One hour long walk had me doing 54kmh at some point. Probably when I fell over, LOL.
FollowupID: 915454

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 11:39

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 11:39
Yes that can happen and I am working on it - however what happens is I get a two positions that seem to have a very short time period between and a long distance - this typically happens when you are in marginal gps coverage (or in shopping centres with no external GPS coverage) and we get a position shift/error on one (sometimes this comes from cell towers/wifi AGPS and then switches back to full gps mode). It is very hard to detect this but I report what the data shows 100% (just the data is not always 100% right due to environmental issues).
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915476

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 18:35

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 18:35
I checked a few of my track logs and they were created from imported files from another GPS mapping software with ext GPX RTE and when I opened up the Segment Explorer and expanded the screen..only the minimum detail was shown..distance only and nothing else..no graph details.
I am putting this down to the imported file and its' extension that came with it when I imported it across to Traveller..

A question if I may...
When I create a track by using either the mobile or desktop version of Traveller..all the data detail will be automatically imported into that track that I have created, so when I expand the screen the Segment Explorer will show all that detail..graph etc?

Just a an idea..
This is in relation to the mobile Traveller app..
The screen area is going to be a bit cluttered with the new Overnight Locations and Segment Explorer hanging off to the side as they are shown at present with the desktop app.
That blue title bar at the top of the screen in the Traveller App..it looks a bit empty and open..
It could be a good location to consider for future updates where to put new icons..plus maybe the Map layers, Odometer icons etc..
This will mean user interface is in one location...ie that top bar..instead of several locations in different parts of the screen.

Keep up the good work..

AnswerID: 637388

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 13:55

Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 13:55
HI Peter,
Regarding your question, you asked "When I create a track by using either the mobile or desktop version of Traveller..."

The Desktop version of the Traveller app will not record tracking - it is not for navigation/active use.

There are 2 ways to create a Track Log in the Traveller app: both require that you have driven the route you want to save. Option 1 is to open the Search panel and select the "Create Track Log" function to extract position data recorded during actual travel. Option 2 is for Members only - if you have been using the tracker service to automatically sync your position data to your account you can press SAVE below your server tracking map to create a Track Log.

Alternatively, you can upload a GPX , KML or TCX file that you've obtained from another source. If that source used driven data then GPS data containing altitude, time etc will be recorded and therefore present in the output in Segment Explorer. If the route data was not recorded using driven data (eg. computer created route) then it will not have any altitude or timing data recorded so this would not be displayed.

Multiple Segments will only appear if:
1. the Track Log shows multiple days of travel (daily segments) or
2. the Track Log was created using uploaded GPX, TCX or KML files that contain multiple routes
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915457

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 20:46

Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 20:46
I just had a look at my recent Trip which was 8500kms in length. It is one GPX file (large) and I noticed that it was not broken into daily segments, instead it was basically split in half with no data (ie elevation, speed, etc). This GPX file was recorded on a garmin device. I also noticed that the performance was quite slow but I took this to possibly be the size of the gpx file - Would the file size affect the speed (performance) when looking on my PC??

I looked at a smaller trip I did last year and it all looked perfect with being broken into days, etc...

BTW: The length of TIME shown - Is that purely the DRIVING TIME or is it the TOTAL Time? Either way, I noticed it was different to what is shown on my BaseCamp, why would this be?
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 637413

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 20:53

Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 20:53
Oh.. another question I'd like to ask - Prior to posting a GPX Tracklog for Public viewing, I go into the GPX file (using Garmin BaseCamp) and I delete part of the Tracklog that leaves and arrives at my Home address so my Home address is kept private - Can this also be done using EO?

I hope so otherwise, it would be unwise to list any of your personal gpx tracklogs for public viewing
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 915500

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 21:41

Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 21:41
EOTraveller allows you to define a geofence with your desired radius around an address.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 915501

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:41

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:41
Ok, but not sure of the use of that… I know the OSM app has that ability but never really seen a need for it…
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 915505

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 12:12

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 12:12
You can set a number of geofences - around work, home, kids schools, whatever locations you want to keep private. Then when you create a Track Log, which you may wish to make public, the log starts and stops at the geofence boundaries, thus not disclosing those private locations to the crazies out there.

If you want to share your track logs with trusted people only rather than make them public, then of course you can choose not to use geofences.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915519

Sponsored Links