ExplorOz Traveller iPad/iPhone Can’t Update Places and Treks Comments

Recently I have been unable to update the above using Data Manager. On my iPad the whole update process for Places and Treks is faded out and I am unable to use it at all. On my iPhone I get a message stating “Error: unable to unzip download undefined” in the Places and Treks Comments section. Frustrating, as I use my iPad to plan treks and can no longer upload these so that I can use them on the car in dash unit.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any help is appreciated (yes, I have tried turning off and then on again lol).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 19:37

Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 19:37
I just updated on my ipad and all worked smoothly, so problem must be at your end, sorry can’t offer any clues.
AnswerID: 637701

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Paula - Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 19:42

Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 19:42
Thanks for the response. My app is up to date and os is my iOS so nothing I can do in that regard.
FollowupID: 915788

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 21:12

Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 21:12
Try Settings. Scroll right down to the red buttons. Tap Clear Main DB then try again.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637702

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Paula - Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 21:34

Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 at 21:34
Thanks Frank. Just tried that before I read this and it worked. Not sure why. Thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 915790

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Sunday, Aug 29, 2021 at 06:19

Sunday, Aug 29, 2021 at 06:19
S & P

Given that you have a similar problem on two devices, I am wondering if you have an account / login issue maybe??

Normally I would suggest you clear the main DB in settings (third Red box), this would clear / clean out all the data in places, treks , comments & then download them again. I guess you could try this on one device, but you run the risk of having no places , treks comments on that device until you sort the out the real problem if it doesn’t work.

It would be unlikely that your memory would be full on both devices.

Other than that Michelle at the help desk.

Regards

TrevorDavid

Edit.. IPad refreshed as I was typing, Frank beat me to it, glad it worked.
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637705

Follow Up By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 16:39

Monday, Sep 06, 2021 at 16:39
I had the same problem on my iPad.
Places and Treks update loaded ok but P&T Comments seized at 'Caching 17%'.
After reading this blog I cleared main DB as advised, but Comments again seized in the same place.
I cleared main DB again and it all updated OK.
So, thankyou guys for the tip.

My iPad is 7 years old and EOTraveller is annoyingly slow, even though i had no such problems with the old version. Think I may need to Update iPad, but I am reluctant to spent $1k to see if that fixes my problem.
Cheers, Dalb

FollowupID: 915947

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Sep 07, 2021 at 14:39

Tuesday, Sep 07, 2021 at 14:39
Dalb,

From an iPad performance and version perspective. When we changed from the Raster 2019 maps to the Vector 2021 map set we changed the whole operation of the app and this did have a performance impact and will flush out older hardware weakness/slowness. We use more GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and more memory with the 2021 maps. In our office I recently purchased 2 new iPads and 8th Gen and a Air 4th Gen with an Apple Pencil. Anyway having come from an iPad that was about 4 years old the difference in performance was chalk and cheese. In fact strangely the 8th Gen seems to run the app a little better than the supposed faster Air - I think this is GPU not CPU related BTW but both are extremely fast anyway. I notice when the two devices are side by side and I am smashing them though dev cycles but to be honest for all usability purposes they are both excellent performers. So your money will be well spent and 7 years is way past the general device use by dates these days. Unfortunately if you want 2k zoom and whole country offline etc I need to suck out more power from your devices, this is of course a downside but it was only a few years ago we had to replace GPS units for many hundreds of dollars all the time so things have not changed that much just we get to do 10 times more things with the devices now.

Hope this helps explain it a little but I can "guarantee" you that a new iPad will smash the performance of your 7 years old one out of the park.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915967

Follow Up By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 07, 2021 at 18:01

Tuesday, Sep 07, 2021 at 18:01
Many thanks for that info David.

Looks like I will be off to market to buy an Apple!

And thanks for a great product. The workload must have been massive.

Cheers Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

FollowupID: 915969

Sponsored Links