Penrose Park Rec Reserve Silverton NSW - $1M Upgrade

The NSW Government will provide $1 million to support upgrades and maintenance of the Penrose Park Recreation Reserve at Silverton, under the government’s COVID-19 stimulus program
MIEngineers (MIE) has been engaged to undertake an assessment of the existing infrastructure and prepare a Concept Master Plan for future development of the site.
In order to help establish the most appropriate allocation of the funds, The NSW Government is seeking feedback from Park users, tourist groups, Local Government, businesses, and individuals, on their current and future uses of, and ideas for the park.
To have your say please fill in the short survey via the link below.
Note, the survey ends on Tuesday 19th October.
Survey Link
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Briste - Tuesday, Oct 05, 2021 at 13:53

Tuesday, Oct 05, 2021 at 13:53
Certainly needs it. When I was last there a couple of years ago it was in a pretty poor state compared to my recollections of it from childhood (a very long time ago).
AnswerID: 638211

Reply By: Member - jacm - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 19:31

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 19:31
Thanks Michelle, we were there earlier this year and for an out of the way place its good and there are a few comments to make it better - hopefully the survey will assist in making it an experience not just a caravan park.
AnswerID: 638222

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 19:50

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 19:50
As soon as these government cone heads get onto it they will ruin it. I like it's 'almost bush camp' feel. I can have a fire, a shower a peaceful stay. Once they ruin it (and they will) I'll find somewhere else to go.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638223

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 20:45

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 20:45
I'm with Jack on this. They'll stuff it with bollards, up the fees and totally take away the bush feel. Sorry to be negative, but that's what money does.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916559

Follow Up By: Briste - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 23:23

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 23:23
My earlier comment was as a day visitor, not a camper. Losing the bush camp feeling would be a tragedy.
FollowupID: 916560

Follow Up By: Member - jacm - Thursday, Oct 07, 2021 at 08:43

Thursday, Oct 07, 2021 at 08:43
Agree with keeping the camping and character, hopefully those thoughts have made their way into the survey.
FollowupID: 916561

Follow Up By: axle - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 11:10

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 11:10
The way the NSW Gov, is going do you really think anything at all is going to happen!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 916589

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 20:06

Friday, Oct 08, 2021 at 20:06
The place used to be a nice picnic ground. Looking at historical photos it used to be a nice place. I have not camped there but each time i have visited it in the last 25 years it looked less inviting. As it is it does not invite me to camp there.

It will be god to see it restored to its former glory.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 916616

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, Oct 09, 2021 at 10:00

Saturday, Oct 09, 2021 at 10:00
NN is correct. It's well over 50 years since I first went there, perhaps closer to 60, and it was indeed a very pleasant picnic / day use area back in the day. Those historical photos weren't lying.

But last time I called in there a couple of years ago for old times sake, it was in a sad state, a pale imitation of its former glory. That may well reflect what I perceive as the general decline of Broken Hill, and the lack of water in nearby Silverton.

TBH I wasn't aware of the opportunity to bush camp there. I suspect that any restoration of the park is going to go hand-in-hand with destroying the character of the camping.
FollowupID: 916620

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 09, 2021 at 12:21

Saturday, Oct 09, 2021 at 12:21
Perhaps the renovation will be sympathetic to the park's origins, in which case I'll shelve my cynicism.

From this ABC link:

[quote]
Rustic origins not forgotten
Penrose Park, named after former Silverton mayor John Penrose, has a rich history.

A 6,000-strong crowd was on hand when it was opened as a recreational reserve for miners and their families in 1937.

More improvements would be made when the final round of funding was made available in the second half of this year, but Ms Hawke said they would not be veering from the origins or the rustic feel of the much-loved location.

"It is an outback park, it's not a Big 4 Discovery, but it definitely had very aged infrastructure," she said.

"We need to make sure, whatever we are doing, we maintain that outback experience.

"People want to the see the stars, they want to sit around a campfire, they are wanting to keep the features of Penrose Park."
[/quote]

I just hope that after the work is done there are enough financial and local resources to keep it maintained.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916621

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Friday, Oct 15, 2021 at 22:12

Friday, Oct 15, 2021 at 22:12
Thanks Michell for putting this up.

I've been going to Penrose Park since 1972 when I worked at the Hill for 4 years, the mines used to maintain the park then and it the place to go for annual Xmas functions and/or family groups making a weekend of it. Fi and I were there for the EO gathering until the dust storm raised it's ugly head. Fiona made us unpopular because she won a heap of raffle orizes, we love it and if we miss a year then it will be two, three or four visits the next year.

I hear what everyone is saying, and, everyone has good points so I hope whatever they do isn't too drastic! The park will never be like it was because the miners and their families made it what it was, by their active participation.

Now, like it is we still love it and whatever they do I will always love it, people don't always communicate these days and access to some modern facilities like TV and the internet will be required to attract more visitors.

Regards Paul & Fiona
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638298

Sponsored Links