Traveller V6.6 Released Today

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 05, 2021 at 14:52
ThreadID: 142684 Views:6271 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
We've had some great suggestions since releasing the 6.5 updates and they were easy to implement so we've just added a couple of more new features.

The update is out now for Android & Windows & the Desktop version and just awaiting Apple to do their approval/release so it will probably come through overnight/tomorrow.

The new features are:
1. Dark Mode - a Setting for EOTopo 2021. New Settings section for EOTopo 2021 - with option for Dark Mode to be auto, or Off, or On always.
2. What3Words - a setting for this to show your current position (left menu panel) and to do an Address Lookup (right panel). By default this is off - go to Settings to activate On. Requested by CFA.
3. Request for Odometer to remove the blue reset button to avoid mistaken resets - you now need to swipe left to reveal the reset button.
4. Request for auto selection of all Places detected in GPX file import - all waypoint files are now selected on import screen, no need to individually select. Still offers option to deselect any individual files not required (eg. duplicates, wrong position etc).
5. Various other minor updates as documented
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 09:52

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 09:52
Hi Michelle/David,

Apple/IOS version update notification came through overnight, and downloaded this morning.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638219

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 12:16

Wednesday, Oct 06, 2021 at 12:16
Mine came as well.
Yet to use it?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

AnswerID: 638221

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 17:11

Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 17:11
I certainly wouldn’t rely on what3words to be accurate, have tried it a few times and in each case it has offered up 3 different locations ??
Stick to the tried and true methinks.
AnswerID: 638266

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 17:45

Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 17:45
Only possibly any good if you have mobile coverage
FollowupID: 916628

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 06:47

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 06:47
It will be more accurate when the GPS has good signal, rather than using phone towers for location. Will only work if in internet coverage.

Not sure if it would ever be as accurate as long and lats, but you will be in the near vicinity for emergency services etc.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916630

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 07:56

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 07:56
It works off-line.

It gets its position info from the device's GPS and needs a phone signal only to provide a map.

Depending on GPS accuracy, it is accurate to within a 3 metre square.

What3words FAQs on this page.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916631

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:20

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:20
Try this……….Suppose you want to meet someone at a specific place , then open the what3words app and tap on the place you want to meet, copy the what3words coordinates words then paste them into what3words in Traveller, on more than occasion you are given several results.
FollowupID: 916633

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:46

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:46
Clarifying what I wrote above

"It works off-line."

The native app works off line. The implementation in Traveller requires an on-line connection.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916634

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 09:54

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 09:54
It may find where you are using the GPS but you still need mobile coverage to tell someone what the words are so they can locate you.
FollowupID: 916635

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:07

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:07
Wicket wrote

"Try this……….Suppose you want to meet someone at a specific place , then open the what3words app and tap on the place you want to meet, copy the what3words coordinates words then paste them into what3words in Traveller, on more than occasion you are given several results."

I just tried with tribune.manage.calm, an intersection I chose at random in the Sydney CBD.

I was given three results to choose from, with variations on the words I entered. Each result had a note, saying "Near XXX".

Just guessing here, but I suppose W3W lists those alternatives in case of a typo when entering the words in the search box. It's pretty easy to identify the correct one.

This is W3W behaviour, not a Traveller function. It does the same thing in the W3W app.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916636

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:29

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:29
Yes frank, easy for you the sender to know the correct one but not the recipient
FollowupID: 916637

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:07

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:07
Yes you get the extra variations because of possible typo’s, but also if the server that generates the words has similar words that we could get confused.

E.G. Steam. Stream .

I think they (not Traveller, the developers) have had similar words within say a K of each other. Hasn’t happened often but with 57 trillion squares, could can see why it might happen occasionally.

Traveller needs the internet to get the words from the developer (I think).
Once someone (anywhere) request the words, they then get generated & remain with that square from then on.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916638

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:12

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:12
Oh, I see what you're saying, Wicket. You need help, no-one knows where you are, you send a W3W position, they search for it and have to choose between 3 alternatives, any of which is a possibility.

I guess if you're able to send a message asking for help then in addition to W3W you could include a few plain text words describing your approx location within maybe 500km. Eg "In the Blue Mountains", but how many people would know of the need for that?

I think you might be angling toward "What's wrong with lat and long?" TBH, in the context of what EO explorers do, I agree with you. I suspect the app is aimed more at users in urban and closely settled areas looking for an address than outback travellers looking for SAR.

This page suggests that, IMO.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916639

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 14:41

Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 at 14:41
I've always assumed the intent of w3w was that it is simplier to provide an emergency services operator with three words rather than 14 digits for lat/long or what's the nearest intersection if on unfamiliar ground.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 916641

Sponsored Links