Clutch noise with pedal out/brand new!

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 18:32
ThreadID: 142792 Views:5405 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone.
I’ve recently had a HD clutch installation in my MN Triton. It’s a 4Terrain HD. I bought it from PPD online thinking I’d do it myself, but after getting under there I decided to give it to a pro instead. Unfortunately, there’s now a loud rattle in N with the pedal out. It’s very noticeable. I’ve chatted to the installer, and the supplier, and there is the obvious gap in who pays/what for/when etc. And Clutch Industries want the clutch back in hand before they decide on a warranty claim. That means I’ll be without transport for a week or more, and probably pocket. It’s so noisy now that the service guy mentioned it and suggested I get it checked. I don’t even know if the MN is dual mass?
Anyway, anyone else had this? It’s not the fork, the noise doesn’t go until 2/3 pedal I reckon.
Cheers. Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:33

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:33
Steve
If the sound disappears when clutch depressed it seems to be a radial action fault in the actual clutch plate.
AnswerID: 638480

Follow Up By: Steve S30 - Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:36

Tuesday, Nov 02, 2021 at 19:36
That doesn’t sound very good. So go back and bite the bullet?
FollowupID: 916939

Reply By: Member - Racey - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:07

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:07
Is the noise only in neutral or also when driving?
AnswerID: 638487

Follow Up By: Steve S30 - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 16:28

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 16:28
Hi there,
I'm pretty sure it's only when in N.
FollowupID: 916953

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:41

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:41
I have the same issue on one of my vehicles - it is a faulty clutch throw out bearing. Should have been replaced when the clutch was done. The reason it rattles when clutch is out and in neutral is because there is no load on it. In gear and when the clutch is in the bearing has load on it making it move less and rattle.

The clutch needs to come back out and checked - if new should be Ok - the withdrawal bearing replaced and also the bearing in the flywheel should be replaced as well.
AnswerID: 638488

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 13:34

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 13:34
Therefore, if in gear and clutch out it will be doing exactly the same thing as the clutch is in the same position., again with no load on it.
The reason ANY release bearing rattles is because it pivots only on one axis in its holder AND the uneven fingers of the clutch diaphram spring hits it back and forward on its axis as the engine rotates the flywheel. My Cruiser did it slightly and ensuring the clutch fork withdrew the release bearing slightly more than just sitting against diaphram spring fingers meant NO rattle. It isn't a faulty bearing but poor clutch plate friction material thickness, ie, variation in thickness which causes it to happen. If ALL clutch fingers are in same plane then NO possibility of flicking the release bearing exists. Bearing good! Clutch BAD!

The bloke who fitted the clutch simply threw the plate in and bolted the pressure plate over it and didn't look at finger height at all or doesn't know to look. Some slight spot sanding of clutch plate can improve it. Other reason is, the pressure plate is bolted on but has something under the edge , ie crap, OR, the pressure plate is simply not accurate enough. Because of the leverage ratio of diaphram spring fingers. inner to outer edge any slight differences in components can create the fault.
FollowupID: 916950

Reply By: Tomdej - Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:54

Wednesday, Nov 03, 2021 at 12:54
MN Triton does NOT have a dual mass flywheel...
AnswerID: 638489

Sponsored Links