Hilux gear box leak

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 16:45
ThreadID: 14285 Views:15719 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have a '00 TD hilux. Noticed a bit of an oil leak on the garage floor. I traced the leak to somewhere on top of the gearbox. As it is difficult to see up on top of the box, I think it may be coming from the breather or there abouts? Anyone else had the same problem. The leak is not major but I would like to rectify.

Cheers
Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:03

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:03
check your fluid levels. I dont know about hiluxes but my cruiser developed some leaks from the gearbox/tc area and it turned out it had the standard cruiser thing of putting oil from the gb int the tc causing overfilling and leaking. After I rectified the oil levels all was ok and I drain some from the tc and add to the gb every 10,000 and all is sweet
AnswerID: 65975

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:40

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 17:40
Only a couiple of weeks ago I had to fit a gearbox to transferbox drain pipe, as the seal between the two boxes gives in and the transferbox pushes the oil back in to the gearbox. These have been common problems with older vehicles(Toyota and Nissan) but maybe it is the same problem with your Hi-Lux. I also only noticed it when oil started dripping from a new source :-) The oil has been leaking out of the gearbox breather.
AnswerID: 65984

Reply By: Squid - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 19:55

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 19:55
Hi Graham,

I currently have the same problem in my lux. As Davoe and Wlliem it could be oil coming from the t/case into the g/box as this is apparently not uncommon.

In my case I mentioned this to my mechanic and he thought it highly unlikely as he would have noticed the difference in oil levels in the t/case and g/box if one was draining to the other. (I trust his opinion a very reliable and helpful mechanic).

I guess an easy way to find out if this is the cause is to check your levels. If the oil in the gearbox is more than usual and the t/case less, then follow Willems course of action. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Please note my techinical abilities and knowledge are limited. Improving quickly but limited.

Cheers
AnswerID: 66021

Reply By: Shaun - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 20:46

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 20:46
Have you tried tighteniing the bolts between the transfer and the g'box - I have seen a similar problem on a 97 'lux. Seemed the bolts had worked themselves loose so we just tightened them up to the right torque and it seems to be fine - done a trip to Princess Charlotte Bay since and there is no sign of a leak so either we fixed it or it has run out of oil!

Cheers,

Shaun
AnswerID: 66043

Reply By: simon - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 23:22

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 23:22
Just had a simular prob fixed on my '00 hilux
the gear shift lever plate at the top of the gear box was loose allowing fluid to escape started off as a slow leak and got worse over time
AnswerID: 66246

Reply By: thomjor - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 08:20

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 08:20
Discovered the same problem in our 97 Hilux when we were heading over the Nullabor.Made a temporary repair with rag & wire.Completed 6000 kms with this & had the problem rectified on returning home.Was the seal & boot on the bottom of the gear lever.Apparently is a common problem with Hilux gearboxes.
AnswerID: 66255

Reply By: bushfox - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 20:57

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 20:57
G'day Graham,

Mate I'll be taking my lux back in for the second time to get the gearbox leak repaired under warranty, the leak is from the gasket/seal at the base of the levers - top of g/box as per the last couple of responses...

Toyota reckoned it was the seal between transfer and g/box - the oil was coming down from the top of the box and oil levels in both boxes both good??

They did the intermediate seal and I returned two days later to get the real leak fixed!!

I had the same problem with my old hilux, the only difference was that it occurred after 200,000kms!! not the 40,000 and now 50,000km marks with this one..

I'm having trouble justifying the money i spent on another toyota at this moment!!

regards

Bushfox
AnswerID: 66434

Reply By: redroo - Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 22:04

Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 22:04
ya hi when i got my 02 td hilux from dealer 'new' after 1000 km it leaked oil from same spot to to dealer they blaimed rust proofing but that was not it dad had look "Mech by trade" found gear box over full by over 1lt i was not happy jan
i would check that first
AnswerID: 67383

Sponsored Links