Legal Dirt/GRavel filter.

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 05, 2021 at 05:19
ThreadID: 142937 Views:4851 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hey All

I bought this app and offline maps etc as I thought it would be good for stopping at any random location, and finding legal sand/gravel tracks in surrounding areas while I am riding my motorcycle around NSW, but i cannot figure out how to use it to show me tracks that are legal to ride on, most the ones i found near me ARE on ther map, but are 100% not legal to ride on or even accessable
(tracks inside military bases like Holsworthy, and many tracks offf heathcote which show on map but are locked and sealed behind boomgates with no entry signs etc.)

Is there a way to filter to see only dirt/gravel tracks within Nth distance of that are legal/available to ride on?

TIA TRCB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 05, 2021 at 09:12

Sunday, Dec 05, 2021 at 09:12
I don't know any maps that have a filter for legal and non legal tracks. From my experience, it's rare for tracks to be legal in the Sydney basin, and the majority have gates in the Blue Mountains. You have to go out as far as the Newnes Plateau through Zig Zag or up in the Watagans to be able to ride trails.
AnswerID: 638771

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Dec 05, 2021 at 12:37

Sunday, Dec 05, 2021 at 12:37
Also, State Forests are usually ok for trail riding. National Parks that don't charge a daily entrance fee have more accessible trails than those that charge an entry fee. At the end of the day, there's more places to ride where there are fewer people. Most maps often show trails that no longer exist. Motor bikes tend to do the same trails as 4wd's so info can be found at dedicated 4wd sites.
FollowupID: 917532

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Dec 05, 2021 at 10:52

Sunday, Dec 05, 2021 at 10:52
TRCB
That is a funny way to view the world! Most times, any track or road which you aren't allowed on is signed or gated as such. That situation can vary so a mapping system would have no way to know what the current situation is, it can and does change. However, military and catchment areas are always not accessible so why put that on a mapping system. Did you check before purchase if the feature you wanted actually exists? You have a good system with this program/maps so it should be very good for you. You can still stop at random locations too.
AnswerID: 638772

Reply By: Member - Grinbot - Monday, Dec 06, 2021 at 13:01

Monday, Dec 06, 2021 at 13:01
I don't believe there is a way to show only legal/available roads.

This is one of the major usability issues I have with ExplorOz Traveller: it presents a maze of roads, many of which I can't actually travel on, making it hard to plan a route.

I usually use HEMA maps to plan a route, then use ExplorOz Traveller when I'm after more detailed info.

AnswerID: 638781

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Tuesday, Dec 07, 2021 at 18:55

Tuesday, Dec 07, 2021 at 18:55
I'd second that complaint about ExplorOz maps - at least a few years ago when I used it last. It showed every possible track including station tracks so I found it impossible to work out a route I could drive. HEMA or other maps showed a lot fewer tracks but I could drive on all of them, making route planning a lot simpler.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917548

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 08:51

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 08:51
Personally I don't mind Exploroz maps having 'all' tracks shown .

The criticism about it making route planning is a non issue (for me). I have generally found that among the various tracks shown at least one of them will be useable, & it is pretty obvious which one it is when actually there.

Hema often (but not always) shows only the main 'useable' track, which if you could rely on that as accurate would be fine, but there have been occasions where we have been following the obviously useable track & our Hema navigator has shown us as not being on a track at all. In circumstances like that it has been immensely reassuring to double check on Exploroz & to find ourselves on a marked track on the map & to be able to see where we are headed.

Certainly there are tracks shown which are not useable but a bit of common sense when there on the ground helps a great deal.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 917557

Follow Up By: Member - Grinbot - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 10:25

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 10:25
"it is pretty obvious which one it is when actually there" - but what if you have travelled 100 km to get to that point? :-)

I do agree that the combination of Hema and ExplorOz kind of provides the best of both worlds.

I have a sizeable repertoire of apps for touring:

- Avenza Maps for National Park maps
- Memory Maps for the raster HEMA maps
- WikiCamps
- ExplorOz
- Hema Explorer (don't really use anymore)

It's a pity there isn't one app that does a good job of all that.

FollowupID: 917558

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 21:21

Saturday, Dec 11, 2021 at 21:21
I agree, Grinbot, but I don't think there will ever be a single app that addresses all users needs. I think you have the best solution - a collection of apps and resources that you can use to aggregate information, sort the wheat from the chaff, verify one against others and what you see in front of you, etc. And don't forhet paper maps!!

I do much the same thing.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 917561

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 10:10

Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 10:10
The other problem is legally gazetted pubic roads that the local cocky closes off with a gate to give the impression that it is private.
Then there is the inside route of the Birdsville Track that is always closed. Why? It is a gazetted public road.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
AnswerID: 638786

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 14:52

Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 14:52
I thought it was closed a lot lately because it had been a bit too soggy to use.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917550

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 15:53

Wednesday, Dec 08, 2021 at 15:53
Certainly the case recently, but it seems to me to be closed even when it could be open.
We have driven the Birdsville Track many times, it has NEVER been open when we have been there, so we have never driven it.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 917551

Reply By: Charles C - Sunday, Dec 19, 2021 at 19:37

Sunday, Dec 19, 2021 at 19:37
The only way to see the road reserve in NSW is by looking at the Digital Cadastral Database, unless your Google not many non govt organisations can afford it.
AnswerID: 638843

Reply By: TRCB - Saturday, Dec 25, 2021 at 13:24

Saturday, Dec 25, 2021 at 13:24
that you for the many feedbacks,

I understood the app was community driven, so the obvious answer might be to put a tagging system in the app wherein you can tag the track as accessable when you get to it, the more people that successfully access a track the more different its colour or dashing or "boldness" can be to indicate tracks that are actually accessable?
AnswerID: 638912

Sponsored Links