Mcgowans Island - Kalumburu

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 21:24
ThreadID: 14299 Views:2886 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

Just completed another tour of the Kimberley, and again it was absolutely fantastic to be there again.
The only downside to the whole trip was that Mcgowans Island (one of only 3 recognised camp grounds) has been trashed with no-one left to run the place.

I understand that there was some sort of family dispute which resulted in the 2 houses there being trashed one beyond repair and no water or toilet facilities.

You are still able to camp there, however you will need to be fully self sufficient and be able to look past the ruins.

It is still a magnificent place and I can personally vouch for the great fishing.

Remember, Get out there safely.

regards eggy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madcow - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 08:08

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 08:08
Glad to see you had a great time. A mate is heading that way on Sunday and I will pass that info on as he has mentioned it. No doubt someone will take it back on. I know Jeff D from the Albury Wodonga club are heading that way also soon.

Cheers Dave
Ps the shower is still working great!
AnswerID: 66098

Follow Up By: John & Julie from Getabout 4WD Adventures - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 09:11

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 09:11
Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that the shower is working well. I was down the high country about 7 weeks ago and got my shower sizzling out of those crisp creeks.

I would love to take on Mcgowans Island, it would be a great place to create another Cape Leveque, just need to convice the boss that she would like to live there and then convice the community to let me set up.

I think that I would strike out on both counts.

Talk to you soon

stay safe out there
FollowupID: 326952

Reply By: Indy - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 13:20

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 13:20
John & Julie
How is the road to Kalumbaru? I was thinking of taking an "off road" caravan up there next year. What's the track like between Kalumbaru and McGowans Island? Is it a bit too squeezy or overgrown for an "off road" van caravan.
Regards,
Indy
AnswerID: 66138

Follow Up By: John & Julie from Getabout 4WD Adventures - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 16:09

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 16:09
Hi Indy,

The road to Kalumburu changes a lot throughout the season, this year when we were there, it took us 1.5hrs from Drysdale to the King Edward turn off and then 3.5hrs to travel the remaining 100kms to Kalumburu.

But I beleive that they were sending a grader up to do the road some time in late July.

Best thing to do is to check the condition of the road just prior to travel, this can be done on this site (quite accurate and recent reports) or by ringing Drysdale Station prior to your trip.

with regards to bringing an off road van, yes - as long as you take it easy and prepare the internal of the van for corrugations ie; make sure everything is very well secured.

the run from Kalumburu to Mcgowans is 17kms and is pretty good, a bit corrugated but not too narrow or scratchy.

Hope you have a great trip, when are you going, we may see you up there.
FollowupID: 326994

Reply By: Indy - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 16:37

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 16:37
John & Julie,
Thanks for the info. I will be up there in the first week of June depending on the wet season next year. Which is your preference, MacGowans or Honeymoon Bay? By the way and is it desirable to take a tinney for the fishing?
Regards,
Indy
AnswerID: 66161

Follow Up By: John & Julie from Getabout 4WD Adventures - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 18:42

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 18:42
Hi Indy,

My Pick would be Mcgowans, at that time of year the prevailing winds are from the East so McGowans is nice and sheltered.

Yes a Tinney would be a great addition to your fishing arsenal, there are a couple of reefs just off shore and there are some great fish out there.

Recently a guy was there when we were, and in just over 1 hour he caught a spanish mackeral that was just on a metre long and several BIG queenfish.

We got amongst the golden trevally and smaller queenfish just from the rocks.

cheers for now

stay safe out there.
FollowupID: 327009

Sponsored Links