what about the AutoFridge

Submitted: Friday, Mar 16, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 143 Views:3604 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This fridge seems to get little attention here in the forum and i wonder why. We were planning to get one as we want a very reliable fridge (same compressor as Engel), but we want to be able to stay a couple of days without solar panel or generator... Weve been told the Autofridge only needs running about 4 hours/day.. Does anyone have experience with how many days the second battery lasts (in hot weather) with an Autofridge?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: darryl - Saturday, Mar 17, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 17, 2001 at 01:00
I HAVE A 79 LITRE AUTOFRIDGE AND IT WORKS A TREAT .WE HAVE A SECOND BATTERY ON CAMPER TRAILER 110 AMPER HR .FRIDGE USES 5 AMPS WHEN RUNNING SO YOU CAN SOON WORK OUT HOW LONG IT WILL RUN ON THE SIZE BATTERY YOU HAVE.IT HAS A LOW VOLT CUT OUT BUILT IN (10 VOLTS) SO THE BATTERY WILL NEVER GO COMPLTELY FLAT .RUN YOUR FRIDGE FLAT OUT FOR 8 HRS BEFORE YOU GO , PACK YOUR FOOD PREFERABLY CHILLED AND SHOULD NEED TO RUN 4 HRS A DAY DEPENDING ON AMBIENT TEMP . POSSIBLY GET 3 DAYS WITHOUT A CHARGE (SOLAR PANEL ETC )HOPE THIS HELPS

REGARDS DARRYL
AnswerID: 275

Follow Up By: John - Monday, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:00
The Autofridges have the advantage over the engels in that they have a eeutectic fluid in the walls, which the compressor freezes. Once frozen this fluid keeps the fridge nice and cold for quite a while. It has been my experience that the fridge only needs to be run while you are travelling ie, turn it off when you get into camp and then start it up again the next morning. If we stay anywhere for a couple of days the 70 A/H battery has no trouble maintaining a nicely chilled fridge. The best thing I like about them though, unlike the Engel, Autofridge is Australian made.
FollowupID: 46

Sponsored Links