The Simpson Desert Recovery

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 29, 2021 at 23:09
ThreadID: 143031 Views:5028 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just stumbled across an interview and the Instagram photos of what happened out in the Simpson Desert a couple of months back.
The family who got stuck have kindly shared their experience. Its worth looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbb8ADODZXY

https://www.instagram.com/trucking.oz/

Back Expand Un-Read 12 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 01:02

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 01:02
Thanks Phil, I found that interesting.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638944

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 07:28

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 07:28
Hi Phil,

Very interesting interview. Whilst the family were obviously adequately prepared for the crossing, the PLB was probably the best piece of equipment in the whole truck. It shows just how important these devices are. As far as their decision to make the crossing, well that is something that will be debated for quite a long time. My personal opinion is that it was foolish, but that is just my personal opinion.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638945

Reply By: Kenell - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 08:09

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 08:09
Thanks for sharing that Phil. It does provide some perspective.

I have met a few people in my travels who have made decisions that in hindsight were not the best. I am not acquainted with all the facts to level judgement in this case but I deeply admire their sense of adventure and general preparedness.

As a (former) taxpayer of 50 years or so I am very happy for my taxes to be spent on rescuing adventurers - to some extent it comes with the land we live in and love so deeply.

Hats off to the rescuers and all involved on what could have been a very different outcome.
AnswerID: 638946

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 08:43

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 08:43
Thanks Phil, very much, for finding and sharing that interview. It covered a multitude of safety issues, plus planning and equipment needs.
Really good stuff !!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638947

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 11:09

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 11:09
Yeah, I posted it because it gives the other side of the story.
Sure there are things that many of us would have done differently, but I actually enjoyed watching that Isuzu truck going over the dunes and I liked their spirit of adventure. They did gamble on the weather - and that was probably their inexperience and not knowing the Spring Creek Delta. I was watching the same weather as I was travelling up the Birdsville Track a few days later, and it was an unusual weather event and very hit and miss - I recall Alice Springs got 90mm in a day and Oodnadatta got nothing.
Also they were not in it to make a buck - as he said they just did an interview with ABC news and they have shared their photos and this video of the experience.

I did a lot of outback solo adventures in my 20's where I relied on an old 27 MHz AM CB radio for communication - basically useless unless you got lucky with a skip transmission. As they said in the interview a Satphone would have been useful. They could have got weather updates and would probably have stayed put for a few days rather than try driving out.
Anyway we all learn from their misfortune.
AnswerID: 638949

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 15:58

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 15:58
Thanks Phil, an interesting interview by a very interesting guy. I was lucky enough to meet Outback Mike earlier this year. Had a good talk with him at Nelson Bay as he was assembling his dug out canoe for its first test run on water. Good to see a balanced interview.
FollowupID: 917791

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 16:53

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 16:53
Thanks for posting that, Phil.

They were really unlucky to get that far, and to strike that band of weather right at the Delta. I felt for them trying to dig their way out, but while that surface water was there, they’d have been better off sitting in the truck, watching videos with the kids!

The tracks will be there for a few years, so we can all check them out, and ponder what we would have done in similar circumstances.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 917794

Follow Up By: Phil G - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 21:49

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 21:49
Gday Bob,
After rain on the first night I guess they thought they were still travelling OK, but didn't realise that once they get out of the sanddunes on the western end, the boggy stuff begins. Those of us who are old enough know that the Spring Creek Delta road between Dalhousie and Purnie was realigned about 15+ years ago because it was always flooding and was a bog.

I also wondered what I'd do in the same situation, and I guess I'd have fresh info at my disposal.
Firstly, at night you can usually pick up a weather forecast on ABC radio 639 or 891 on the car radio.
Secondly, I use VKS737 on the HF Radio and would ask for conditions and an updated forecast.
With that information, I would not have proceeded - either turn back if fuel allowed or stay put until conditions dried. I was up north at the same time and stopped by the Birdsville Track being closed and the weather warnings were pretty severe for at least a week before.

The video talks about the usefulness of a Sat Phone and Epirb, but for me the information obtained from my radios would have been all that was needed to prevent the situation from occurring. People forget they have an AM radio in the car and that it is worth knowing the ABC radio frequencies for South Australia (639, 729 and 891) as you can pick them up in the afternoon and night from anywhere in the state.
FollowupID: 917800

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 15:35

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 15:35
Thanks Phil, a very interesting interview, and it provided good balance compared to the social media commentary.
Obviously they were well prepared for remote travel (though we also consider the satphone an essential alongside the EPIRB).
I guess we can endlessly debate whether their solo trip was advisable with even moderately bad forecast, but from the time they got stuck they certainly did everything right.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638953

Reply By: skulldug - Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 17:49

Thursday, Dec 30, 2021 at 17:49
Thanks for posting. This is what the forum should be like.

Too often regulars on here criticise others and then post endless photos big-noting themselves.

Information before ego any day.
AnswerID: 638957

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Friday, Dec 31, 2021 at 06:45

Friday, Dec 31, 2021 at 06:45
"This is what the forum should be like."

Spot on there skulldug.

Much better read than that from the experts correcting others that don't agree with some minor technical issue.
FollowupID: 917803

Follow Up By: Paul W43 - Saturday, Jan 01, 2022 at 12:03

Saturday, Jan 01, 2022 at 12:03
Totally agree
FollowupID: 917820

Sponsored Links