Need help buying camping gear - abC (anything but Chinese!)

Submitted: Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 10:36
ThreadID: 143044 Views:12634 Replies:13 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I’m planning a motorbike camping expedition around oz in 2022 (COVID and COVID politics permitting ??)
While low weight is an important consideration, compact packing size and ease of setup is what I’m most interested in. Price is always a factor but I’m willing to pay more to secure abC products. I find most brands are NOT advertising their country of manufacture online or only tell you where the company headquarters are, hmmm wonder why..
There will probably be some pro-Chinese hawks hiding who will mock me by saying things like “that device you typed this on was made in China”, so in anticipation I will say that is part of the problem. I’m not interested in political arguments, I have my reasons and keeping non-Chinese manufacturing alive is a big part of that.

I need the following items and am struggling to find abC products, please help!

- tent (2 man)

- sleeping bag

- sleeping mat

- cooking stove, utensils, plates, cups, kfs, accessories

- quality cold weather clothes

- any other items people have found which have added quality to their motorbike camping trips.

TIA!
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 11:10

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 11:10
G'day Simon

This might help.

https://hikeausnz.com/australian-made-hiking-gear/

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638978

Follow Up By: Simon I - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:03

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:03
Thanks Jim, appreciate the link. Have you used any on the gear on the list?
FollowupID: 917834

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 14:02

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 14:02
Only a couple of items

One Planet canvas rucksack ......... excellent, but bulky and not light
KTI PLB ......... not made any more, at least not by the original makers
Redback boots ....... general elastic sided boot, very good

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917844

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 12:24

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 12:24
Simon
I see what you intend but you will be hard pressed to buy many items which are not ABC, most companies have sold their soul for profit, ie, cheap produced and more mark up for the bottom line so mostly ABC.
You mention "price is always a factor, but WILLING to pay more to secure Chinese origin products".
Isn't that what you are trying to avoid???
In time past I used a flysheet over the bike and slept underneath at side of bike. No tent.
Fitted a battery connection and 6mm audio socket to bike and plug with a small LED light on the end with magnet, ie , place anywhere on metal of bike.
You can hard wire, with switch, the 12v supply to the navigation equipment you use so it isn't a ciggy plug.
Depending on where you go, something to plug tubeless tyre holes and CO2 gas cylinder inflation gear is small to carry. Spare valves and tool.
Carried a Trangia and cooked with that.
In most places, if you have proper warm gear, inner layers they are ok for warm sleep. Can sleep in riding jacket if need be, = core warm!
AnswerID: 638979

Follow Up By: Simon I - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:01

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:01
I am willing to pay more for abC - “anything BUT Chinese”. Chinese products are just about always the cheapest so I guess I have no choice but to pay more.
Thanks for the tips, the motorbike power for lights is a good idea, so long as I don’t drain the battery!
I looked into the Trangia cook-set and it looks excellent. Made in Sweden. I’ll buy one tomorrow. Cheers.
FollowupID: 917833

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:51

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:51
Simon.
Sorry, Misread your text. Got it Frack to Bunt. Regarding the battery and light. If you use a small 12v gel cell battery, ie 3 or 4 Ah it can be on a switched supply and switch it on when going to ride so battery charges with main, but disconnected at night to only use from the small battery. This can charge phone too.
FollowupID: 917835

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 13:46

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 13:46
Hi Simon,
Not many pro-chinese hawks on here I'd imagine. Dinki Di Aussies mostly. I fully support your passion to avoid the rubbish we have to put up with from china. Dont forget - if you need any more justification - Imagine how much of the income from selling us cheap solar lights and crummy iphone cables..etc etc etc.. ad infinitum has gone into strengenthing their military might and resolve to expand their reach...sighs... and slaps wrist
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638980

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:31

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 14:31
I would start at your local Scout Shop.
The people that sell it, use it.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 638981

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 15:18

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 15:18
You want light gear check Paddy Palin website here.
They've been around literally for ever, their gear is for bushwalking, climbing, etc so imagine it will fit in with your lightweight & compact criteria. Notice they are having a 40% off on selected items, at the moment.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638982

Reply By: Shane M11 - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 15:32

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 15:32
Hi Simon,

i use the following for camping when on the bike.

Mat - https://www.exped.com/australia/en/product-category/mats/downmat-9-lw

Stove - https://www.bcf.com.au/p/jetboil-zip-hiking-stove/399821.html?cgid=BCF083891#start=4

thermals - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-aggressor-30-pants
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-aggressor-30-shirt-2017
bag- https://www.snowys.com.au/palm-passport-sleeping-bag-5

Tent - I use either a tarp over the bike with a ground sheet or a cheap tent depending on weather. For a round the block trip maybe consider one of these guys range of tents - https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/collections/tents/products/motorcycle-tent-mototent

Clothing wise if you can afford it go for goretex shell bike gear not goretex liners - gear such as Klim or Rukka - I have found FC Moto to be the best place to get bike gear from.

The Klim thermals are the best I have ever worn - I commute 106k's each way to work and during winter it is down to minus 4 or 5 deg regularly.

The exped mat is also great at keeping the cold from the ground out.

utensils etc is up to you really - how much or how little you want to take.

Hope this helps

Shane
AnswerID: 638983

Follow Up By: Simon I - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 15:40

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 15:40
Hi Shane,
I appreciate the effort you’ve gone to but to my knowledge, most of the products you listed are in fact made in China. Absolute deal breaker unfortunately. Definitely appreciate the thought though, all the best in 2022.
FollowupID: 917836

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon B5 - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 22:10

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 22:10
2nd the Exped. Mine is made in Taiwan & have had it for around 7 years.
He who hesitates is lost

FollowupID: 917838

Follow Up By: Shane M11 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:20
Yeah exped Taiwan
Klim Indonesia and Nicaragua
Forma gortex boots Romania
Bmw pants Vietnam
Rucka is made in China so sorry for that one
FollowupID: 917840

Reply By: Hugh J2 - Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 16:25

Monday, Jan 03, 2022 at 16:25
Hi simon .been there done that.
I got my thermals from NZ icebreaker.
Tent oops i should have said a banshee200 2 man tent.. Sleeping bag from tassie u need a minus 10 down filled. Down filled exped downmat 9 from NZ , a mini air pump to pump it up ( the pump from kmart)
2 m/c pack bags for the bike mine are canadian. Probably need a small fuel container 10 ltrs. Tank bag with map holder. Blackwoods sell a "scangrip " torch with 2 magnets lithiun battery spot and flood lites, fits ur pocket usb charge. And a dick-head light
Dunno what bike you have , u need a mini tyre pump with ciggie outlet for ur tyres. Winter gloves and mx gloves. Ski mask, proper boots calf high but not mx boots, can't walk far in those.
All these things last for 20 years if taken care of.
Its a great trip !!
AnswerID: 638984

Reply By: Mike C9 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 00:40

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 00:40
Hi Simon

I have some Thermarests (self inflating mattresses) second hand if you're interested.

Mike
AnswerID: 638986

Reply By: .... - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 07:59

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 07:59
Check out One Planet gear. I have bought tents and sleeping bags from them and is my go to place for hiking equipment.

They are an Australian company manufacturing high quality gear in Melbourne.

One Planet

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 638987

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 20:25

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 20:25
I'll second One Planet for high quality serious bushwalking gear. After sales service if required second to none. Not cheap but will last a lifetime for most.
FollowupID: 917854

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:55
G’day simon,
Wil be a lot of looking to totally avoid Chinese made stuff . Check out andystrapz
I’m not saying some stuff he supplies isn’t Chinese , but some gear is Aus. Made . And good gear because as he states he uses it.
Cheers Robbo
AnswerID: 638990

Reply By: Paul W43 - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 10:27

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 10:27
One Planet for Australian made Backpacks and bags.
Tier Gear for Tasmanian made lightweight bags, pouches and quilts.
Summit gear for Australian made backpacks.
Snowys sell a range of Australian made gear including swags, bags and core spun steel dutch ovens among many other items.
Big Agnes and MSR tents are made in Vietnam.
As is Tatonka and, Tasmanian Tiger (both are German owned Same company).
Almost forgot, Deuter and Osprey are both made in Vietnam.
Maxpedition is made in Taiwan.
Trangia is made in Sweden.
I'm sure there are many others, I can only mention / recommend the ones I know and have used.
AnswerID: 639003

Reply By: Member - Soft-Roader - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 10:47

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 10:47
Made,

With you on the notion 100%.

An Australian manufacturer started up in COVID making Australian merino cold weather shirts - https://ottie.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrd28kqOZ9QIVYJlmAh28kQ-fEAAYASAAEgKLkvD_BwE.

Otti Merino - not cheap, but not outrageous either. Made in Australia (Vic) , and just like Icebreaker bound to last years. Nothing against NZ of course - but would rather start an Australian Start-Up who's finally giving us a choice, so we stop complaining about how textiles are never made here anymore.

Regards tent - if you went swags Murchison River swags are brilliant. Not only are they made in WA, but they use canvass from the last Australian-sourced-and-produced canvass manufacturer. They have bags too if you want one on the bike.
Lachlan

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639004

Follow Up By: ottiemerino - Saturday, Jan 08, 2022 at 20:29

Saturday, Jan 08, 2022 at 20:29
Thanks for the mention, Lachlan. Paul here from Ottie - saw some clicks coming through to our website from this one so thought I'd pop my head in to see what's going on. :)

I’m also the dude that wrote the Aussie made list shared up the thread:

https://hikeausnz.com/australian-made-hiking-gear/
FollowupID: 917909

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 17:01

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 17:01
G'day Simon

Just out of curiosity - road bike, adventure bike or trail bike ?

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 639010

Sponsored Links