noisy A/C unit

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2022 at 14:31
ThreadID: 143125 Views:3336 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 16' Avan with a Truma Climaster fitted, has the usual 3 outlets.
Finding the fan super noisy, regardless of fan speed, and notice only a small difference in fan speed between 1 and 2. is this typical, or is it worth replacing the controller, they are less than $40 online!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jan 20, 2022 at 15:10

Thursday, Jan 20, 2022 at 15:10
Eric
Just curious, but is it the fan or the motor which the noise emanates from? Can you remove the fan blades to find if it is the motor? ie, fan noise or motor noise? Some fan blades are made with uneven number of blades and odd spacing so as to be quieter. Even number, even spacing ones are noisier, A replacement fan from a different system may cure the issue. The controller may have nothing to do with it unless it is pulsing or as you mention not altering speed significantly, maybe.
AnswerID: 639171

Reply By: eric s4 - Thursday, Jan 20, 2022 at 23:09

Thursday, Jan 20, 2022 at 23:09
it sounds like a jet engine, more so than a worn/noisy motor. it would be good to work out how to slow it down some, the slow setting just seems to fast!
AnswerID: 639178

Reply By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2022 at 16:58

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2022 at 16:58
Hi Eric, sorry to come in late but better than never.

Back in 2006 we drove from Hyden to Yellowdine on Great Eastern Highway and then onto Kalgoorlie. That night I fired up the AC only to find it was making a hell of a noise so next day I had the local AC folks come out and look at it.

What had happened is that the fan blade had moved on the shaft and the blade was fitting against a metal part within the unit. Took them about an hour of trial and error to get the blade back in the best position and it never played up again.

In hind sight, gee isn't that wonderful ;=)), we had driven on a dirt road, the first part was great and I had no problems sitting on about 95k/h. Once we passed the turn off to Norseman it was rough as guts and this bouncing around obviously moved the fan blade. Silly part is I had to backtrack to Norseman to get fuel so could have taken the direct route on the better maintained road.

Maybe this is you problem.
AnswerID: 639255

Sponsored Links