Using Porta Potti for Urine only

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 10:40
ThreadID: 143168 Views:5308 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We have just bought our first van and have bought a Thetford Porta Potti to use primarily at night time for 'wee trips'. I have been reading about waste tank chemicals etc but wondered what I need to use if we are just using for number 1s? Do we need chemicals or would some vinegar (to neutralise odour) and eucalyptus or tea tree oil suffice?

Thanks for your help.

Karen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tonysmc - Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:19

Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:19
Hi Karen, I use Napisan as it doesn't have the strong odour as the Thetford chemicals do. You can either mix some in the top tank or just add a little as you use it. You'll probably find you'll will use the Porta Potti for No 2's at some stage as some public/campground toilets are disgusting (or should I say some of the people that use them are. I feel sorry for the maintenance people and cleaners.) Having something like Napisan or a chemical to catering for that on standby is always handy I have found.
AnswerID: 639296

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:32

Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:32
The urine is where 90% of the the stink comes from and nothing is totally effective to stop it. Empty it daily.
better to use it for everything.
Using it for #2s only works well actually. Much less smell, less sodium percarbonate required and it takes 3 times as long to fill.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 639297

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 18:37

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 18:37
Precisely what we do. On occasions where modesty has required us to pee in the potti the difference is quite noticeable. We always empty our potti long before it reaches capacity. With pee - 1 day. Without pee 3 or 4 days.

Napisan/sodium percarbonate works well with #2's. Less well with pee.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918363

Reply By: Rob J8 - Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:46

Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:46
We use our toilet for both as during the winter months we go away for a few nights twice a month.
We sometimes use toilet chemical but mostly use percarbonate and always use a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Don't be frightened to use your toilet, it is much more comfortable in the van than hanging your tail over the drawbar of the plough when I was a young bloke on the farm years ago.
We all learnt by trial and error as it was 34 years ago before internet, I bought my first van and it didn't have a built in toilet just the porta potti at the end of the double bed.
The next van, we kept the porta potti in a cupboard under the dressing table.
The last 2 have had separate toilet and shower areas with sliding door.
Hope this helps Karen.
Regards
Rob Jones
BSN
AnswerID: 639298

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 20:33

Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 20:33
The wife only uses ours for no1’s as well ( I use a hospital bottle ).
No chemicals at all, just pure pi**. Occasional flush with water out of the top tank. Nil smell that I’m aware of…in either device. But we do empty daily.
As for the sooks that don’t like toilets, a couple of cement pills is all you need. The old Nat park drop loos were pretty bad, but these days they are quite pleasant.
AnswerID: 639309

Follow Up By: Member - WA 1968 - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2022 at 13:02

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2022 at 13:02
Some people who like to travel are immunocompromised but still like to travel, hence the use of a portapotti rather than walking into a "shit cloud" in a public environment. I'd say they are the ones who have taken the cement pill and are at least getting out there Gronk!
FollowupID: 918465

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 22:12

Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 22:12
The cheap nappy sanitiser from Aldi, same active ingredient as napysan (Sodium perchlorate), but a fraction of the cost.
Rinse the bowl with water and empty the tank every couple of days.

It kills the bacteria that make the smell, rather than trying to camouflage it.
AnswerID: 639312

Sponsored Links