ExplorOz Traveller V7 - supported devices

Some more tips to help you prepare for Traveller V7 (ETA approx 14th Feb)

APPLE SUPPORT: To update to this version (or purchase/download) you will need a minimum of iOS 12. If you have Traveller currently on an iPad/phone running iOS 11 you will not be able to update to V7 but can keep using v6.6.2.

ANDROID SUPPORT: To update to this version (or purchase/download) you will need a minimum of Android 7. If you have Traveller currently on an old phone/tablet/headunit running Android 6 you will not be able to update to Traveller v7 but can keep using v6.6.2.

WINDOWS - no change. Windows 10/11 supported.

DESKTOP/WEB - no change. Requires a web browser that supports Web SQL of which there are only 3 such browsers - Opera, Edge and Chrome. This is the version that requires an ExplorOz Member account to access. The app is not downloaded. It is launched from our website (via a button on the Traveller webpage).
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Simon C7 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 09:20

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 09:20
Hi Michelle

I am just about to purchase Traveller and EOTOPO. for a brand new iPad Mini. Would I be better waiting until after the new version is released?

Thanks
AnswerID: 639315

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 10:14

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 10:14
Hi Simon,

You've addressed this to Michelle, but she's very busy with V7 so perhaps I can help.

I am not an Apple person so I cannot confirm that an iPad Mini has the right OS to run Traveller. Apple says the Mini runs iPadOS15. I do not know if that satisfies the iOS12 or better for Traveller, so you will need advice on that.

However, in regard to the app itself, as long as your device meets the requirements Michelle has stated above there is no advantage in waiting because the upgrade from the current version to V7 is free and will not involve re-installing the maps, etc. The maps will be the same in both versions.

V7 has yet to be beta tested, so the public release of V7 is at least couple of weeks away - no real point in waiting for that, IMO. In fact I suggest that providing your device is suitable you install the current version now, have a play and get used to what the app's basics can do and be ready to step up to the new features of V7.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918355

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 12:50

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 12:50
You are probably all over this, but just to be sure, you also need either an iPad with a GPS ie one that has a SIM card slot, or if you have the wifi only version, an external gps. Plenty of discussions on the forum about this and on the EO website in regards to device specs.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918360

Follow Up By: Member - Simon C7 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 20:31

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 20:31
Thanks Frank and Warren

Purchased tonight and got it working (I think/hope).

Frank… Just FYI….iPad Mini with OS15.3 and it loaded with out an issue.

Warren… this is a iPad Mini with Wifi only. It has the built in GPS… checked that before I purchased

Now the fun stuff…. Learning how to use it.
Thanks again for both your input
Simon
FollowupID: 918367

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 22:08

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 22:08
Simon
If it is wifi only then it does not have built in gps, only the wifi+cellular model has gps.
FollowupID: 918368

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 19:48

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 19:48
Simon,

As Frank / Wicket / Warren have suggested , Apple Stuff - wifi only = no GPS, App will load, App will work with wifi (Internet) no probs whatsoever, once no wifi (Internet), App will not work without GPS.

Just to confuse things, it can be used as wifi only, as long as it has the ability for a SIM card. EG: If you can’t physically put a SIM card in it (don’t actually have to) it will not have a GPS.

Check again is my advice.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918374

Follow Up By: Member - Simon C7 - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 21:46

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 21:46
Update.

It appears advise here is correct. App loads and maps working OK. However no GPS updates. Be an interesting convo with Apple tomorrow as I have a copy of conversation with them that the “wifi” product would operated with the apps and programs I was only wanting it for, and the conditions I was planning on using it. This is what they recommended!!!!! Big Brother will probably win…. But they will know of the dissatisfaction.. wish me luck.
FollowupID: 918375

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 22:20

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 22:20
Hi Simon, in our opinion the WiFi ipads are a good option (cheaper) and the GPS issue is easily resolved by using an external GPS...that's what we and many others do. Look up Garmin Glo 2 and buy one of those.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918376

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 22:34

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 22:34
Good luck Simon

Yes Michelle, I agree but also disagree. With the the cost a external GPS not sure that it would be any cheaper. But certainly is another option. Guess that is another discussion. Each to there own.

What ever way you go Simon re GPS, the App is fan bloody tastic and just keeps getting better.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918377

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 23:33

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 23:33
$140 for the Garmin Glo...vs approx $300 +extra for a cellular ipad
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918381

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 03:27

Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 03:27
$160. Certainly is a fair price difference.

Went through the GPS v WIFI only iPad process bout a year ago, didn’t recall that much price difference, but I’m sure it would have been similar.

Bad Elf is another good Bluetooth GPS

Went the GPS iPad

Wife & I only have the one mobile phone, so data share off phone account, $15 a month.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918382

Follow Up By: @Yackandandah - Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 06:53

Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 06:53
If you have bought the iPad direct from Apple you can return it within 7 days for full refund or exchange.

Kevin
FollowupID: 918383

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 16:11

Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 16:11
Not sure if this would work but if you have an iphone (all have built in gps) you could hot spot it to your ipad and see if that might do the trick.
FollowupID: 918389

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 16:17

Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 16:17
Wicket

Nice thought, but unfortunately not, hot spoting does not give you a GPS.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918390

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 17:26

Thursday, Feb 03, 2022 at 17:26
Simon,

If you intended to buy a GPS equipped tablet and got talked out of it by the uninformed sales person, then if I were you I would pursue a refund and upgrade. You are entitled under Aus consumer law to a refund as the goods are not as described by the sales staff, so the seller cannot win unless you give up.

IMO you get the best user experience with a GPS-equipped tablet and data SIM - one device to keep charged, no connections to manage, etc, etc.

My system is Android but Apple will work the same way. The extra SIM costs me only $5.00 a month (Telstra) and shares the data allowance we get in our plan with our other devices.

Of course, it's up to you whether or not the extra money is worthwhile.

Sic 'em, Rex!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918392

Sponsored Links