Edith's Marble Bath

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2022 at 22:02
ThreadID: 143175 Views:4997 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A re-read of Ernest Giles' "Australia Twice Traversed" has led me to wonder if any member has at any time in the past visited Edith's Marble Bath, as named by that intrepid explorer in 1874? I have no intention of trying to find the place (or visit it) ; my query is simply out of idle curiosity, Given its relative proximity to Giles Weather Station and part of the abandoned section of the Gunbarrel Highway etc . I would not be surprised if someone says "yes" and tells us a bit about the journey.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Scotty44 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 09:30

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 09:30
I haven’t been there but I am reading Ernest Giles’ book. I must say it is very detailed but I get a bit lost as he has a very zigzagged path and I need a decent map to reference whilst reading to keep track as to where he actually is. It’s interesting to see how quickly things can change in a few weeks ie go from abundant water to not much or none. It’s a good but slow read for me.
AnswerID: 639316

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 09:54

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 09:54
Roger,

Check out blogs on this site by either Phil B, equinox or Mick O. I’d be very surprised if at least one of these gentlemen hasn’t been there?

Good luck,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639317

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 10:40

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 10:40
That would now be Phil B OAM.

Yes our great correspondent, Phil Bianchi got the nice little gong recently for his magnificent contributions as an Australian historian. And to guiding those of us who venture in to the great Australian wilds
FollowupID: 918356

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 11:04

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 11:04
A well deserved award, Paul. Congratulations Phil.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918358

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 11:39

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 11:39
Thanks for your congratulations gentlemen, I'm still humbled by the gong I got in 2019.

Yes I've been to Edith's Marble Bath, that was back in 2012. I’m a member of Desert Discovery (DD) and was there participating in the Rawlinson Range project.
It was scrambly to get in, lots of rocky and steep gullies, but worth the effort. And yes we had permission to enter.

Go here the report DD 2012 Report

Go here for DD website site

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639318

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 12:15

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 12:15
Go here forErnest Giles Expedition map

He doesn't show Edith Marble bath but it's near Edith Hull Spring in Rawlinson range.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 918359

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 20:01

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 20:01
Fascinating report Phil and thanks for the info on Desert Discovery, whom I hadn't previously heard of. It looks like they do great work.
FollowupID: 918364

Follow Up By: gke - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 08:04

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 08:04
Congratulations on your well- deserved gong Phil. Being in Qld I had not heard the news.
Good memories of the Rawlinson camp and I will never forget the wind on the last night.
Graham K.
FollowupID: 918369

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 19:40

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2022 at 19:40
A couple of Pictures:

I believe I visited the bath however as I did not fully investigate the entire surrounding area I have nothing to compare it with.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639320

Reply By: Member - Roger K (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 23:08

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2022 at 23:08
I am most grateful for the detailed information provided by both Phil B (WA) and Equinox - it far exceeded my expectations and shows just how much talent there is to be found on this forum. Like others, I had no knowledge of the Desert Discovery group but the quality of the report attached by Phil suggests it is an impressive organization and I would like to hear more about its various projects over recent years.

Equinox is probably the main reason I keep visiting the forum. I admire his ability to access interesting places in really remote areas, and his reports and/or videos are most enjoyable and (for me) capture what this forum was originally about. I was therefore not greatly surprised when he submitted his contribution to this thread, but nonetheless very pleased.

The question now of course is the story behind the two plaques attached by Justin and Jennifer in 2002! Dare I hope ?
AnswerID: 639328

Sponsored Links