lake eyre

Submitted: Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 08:54
ThreadID: 143186 Views:5871 Replies:4 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
is there any info on whether lake eyre might fill up this year please ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 09:19

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 09:19
http://lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html#bottom
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 639339

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 09:44

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 09:44
In a nutshell…..no
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639341

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 11:16

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 11:16
it will get water in it but my undersanding is it only fills up a few times in a century
which is a lot different to having water in it
cheers mechpete
FollowupID: 918460

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 17:22

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 17:22
I'd guess most of the people asking whether Lake Eyre will "fill" are wondering whether it's worth making the trip and taking a flight.

You could be waiting a long time for it to "fill" and if the opportunity arises with only some water in the lake, as seems likely this year, I'd say take it.

I flew over Lake Eyre South a few years ago when there was only a small amount of water but it's still up there with my memorable experiences.

I'd imagine the SA outback will be blooming when the water goes down and if it wasn't for the uncertainty about being allowed back into WA I'd certainly be looking at an early winter trip east.

Cheers
AnswerID: 639342

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 18:09

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 18:09
Not sure what you are seeing over in the west, but the outback here in South Australia has water as far as the eye can see.

The Stuart Highway is still closed and will be for still quite some time. The only food drops into Coober Pedy is via the RAAF.

The flowers have already exploded in Andamooka, and one person I have been chatting with from there said that within 8 weeks, the whole area with be red with Sturt Desert Pea, and a sight to see.

There is one special lake up there that only gets water in it around every 20 years, and now it full and will now have water in if for the next 2 years or more, so we will be heading up there soon to check it out.

One place we went to just over a year ago was the historic underground Bookaloo Water Tanks.

Back then the area was swamped by summer rain and was going to take around 2 years before it was dry enough to drive to…..

Now with all this rain, I will have to wait at least 2 more years for it to dry out from our laters rain.

Here are the Bookaloo Underground Railway Water tanks last year, and would love to see the water there now.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918395

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 18:20

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 18:20
Thanks Stephen

If you know where to look you can get news in WA about the rest of Australia! I have seen some spectacular vision online in a few places.

Most coverage of the SA floods relates to the blocking of the Trans Australia line as an awful lot of stuff comes to WA by train. Who cares about Darwin or Coober Pedy?

There are shortages of some things in supermarkets and buying limits but this time its not the doomsday mob panic buying.

Cheers

FollowupID: 918396

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 20:15

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 20:15
Not sure what went wrong with the photos on my reply, here is take 2 of the historic underground Bookaloo Railway water tank, from when steam trains were running the line.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918400

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 20:36

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 20:36
I remember when you visited there Stephen.
I really admire the ingenuity behind the old infrastructure out in the bush.

Cheers
FollowupID: 918401

Reply By: Phil G - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:15

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:15
Not enough rain in its catchments for it to fill up. But we'll probably get water in the Warburton Groove but nothing to see from the viewing points at Muloorina or Halligans bay.
I think it will be one of those years where you'll need a plane flight to see water.
Even thought outback SA got a drenching, a lot of that water is too far south to end up in Lake Eyre.
AnswerID: 639343

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:27

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:27
Hi Phil

I got a message from an EO member some time ago regarding access out to Lake Eyre North from Muloorina Station.

I contacted a good friend on mine who once worked up there and he then contacted Trevor, the owner of the Station.

He confirmed the track is no longer maintained by them, as the state Government are no longer paying them to grade the track.

From what I understand, where you went out from the camping area, they now have the barrier closed, as Muloorina Station does not want to have any legal issues if people go out and damage their vehicles.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918397

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:29

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:29
http://lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html#bottom
Warburton Groove is flowing.
There is 500mm in Madigan Gulf and 800mm in Belt Bay and 1.5m in Lake Eyre South.
Cheers,
peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 918398

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:49

Friday, Feb 04, 2022 at 19:49
Gday Stephen,
thanks for the info I wasn't aware that the track to Level Post Bay was no longer a PAR.
Back in 2000 when there was a lot of water in the lake we were fortunate enough to get access with the owner of Muloorina to cross the causeway near Level Post Bay and to head up the Babbage Peninsula - that is an amazing place to view the lake when it is full.
Unfortunately the public viewing points for Lake Eyre are poor and the good ones are inaccessible to the general public.

Gday Peter,
Yeah I was aware that some water was starting to come down the Warburton, but I didn't think it had reached the Lake. I think what they are reporting is what they see from the satellites after local rain. When Lake Eyre fills, its the 5 big rivers that make it happen.
FollowupID: 918399

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Feb 05, 2022 at 22:26

Saturday, Feb 05, 2022 at 22:26
It would be interesting to know the complete story about the Level Post Bay PAR. National Parks website dated 5 March 2021 says closed until further notice. The EO places entry says closed due to BHP mining activity. You would think that the SA NP could come up with something better than it's closed ring this number.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918409

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 08:12

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 08:12
Warren

Please read my post above.

The track closure has nothing to do with mining activities what so ever. Mining companies have purchased a number of stations along the Birdsville Track for one commodity only……..water.

Like I said, Trevor the owner of Muloorina Station is no longer receiving any money for track maintenance from the Government and why would he waste thousands of dollars of their money and time for the benefit of a handful of people that venture out there.

Unfortunately a number of EO Places have false and misleading information and is taken from hearsay rather than getting the true and actual facts. As for a number to call, it would then come down to a blaming game, National Parks would put the blame down to Muloorina for not maintaining the track, and if you contacted Trevor he will say why should he grade the track without any rebate from the Government.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918411

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:36

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:36
Rather than "false and misleading", perhaps it is just out of date .....

V7 of the Traveller app will help correct this hopefully, as users will be able to edit Place entries on the fly. Updates made in remote locations will be uploaded and applied when back in mobile service.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918413

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:41

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:41
Were they paying him to create large perfectly formed corrugations? My last visit confirms it was successful. :-)
FollowupID: 918414

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:44

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:44
Not out of date Frank, the track was never closed for Mining activity….period.

Before any such comment is posted , the publisher should verify their comment with the station and get true facts rather that hearsay information.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918415

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:57

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:57
Agreed, Stephen, info should be accurate. If someone finds things other than as described and is not in a position to to a full verification, then adding a Comment to a Place describing the situation as found would be helpful. Others, be they travellers or Admins if it's brought to their attention can follow up later.

The website in the Place entry (SA NPWS) says the track is closed UFN. I will accept your research as verification and remove the reference to mining activity. I think you could have done that :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918416

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 14:42

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 14:42
Places are easy enough to fix. But what if I see errors in Treks? There's no "alert admin" button on them, at least not that I can see.
FollowupID: 918418

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 15:38

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 15:38
I can't see one either, Candace, nor is there an edit button in ExplorOz treks. Maybe Help Desk/Suggest an improvement (Link.)

We're off the OP's topic here. Maybe if there is more to discuss it should be on one of Michelle's V7 threads.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918420

Sponsored Links