Kroombit Tops NP, Central Qld.

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 13:23
ThreadID: 143197 Views:4415 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A loverly spot on a warm day. Easy drive in from Calliope. Suitable for normal vehicles however, once you hit the park boundry, it gets a bit rough but still okay. Due to the narrow roads, not recommended for caravans or campers. You could get away with a small van or camper if you didnt run in to anyone travelling the other way but I wouldnt risk it.
Loverly big grassed campground at Griffirhs creek. Un designated sites. This is kept mowed by a family of horses. They keep their distance.
No facilities other than some fire pits.
The track to the bomber is closed to vehicles now due to erosion. You can walk it but note the distance. The track to Marble water hole is getting close to the same condition. Still open but very rough.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 15:48

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 15:48
Thanks for the update, Glot. I have copied this as a comment to the Kroombit Tops NP place entry. It appears under my name but I have credited you with the info.

If you are a Traveller user you can add your comments like this directly from the app.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639358

Follow Up By: maurice b - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 19:30

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 19:30
I visited the place last year after spending a week in the Expedition NP. A mate and myself entered the park via the Razorback Spur from Beilba. We were surprised that the developed campsite had no toilets . The track into Betsy was reasonable , however the exit was quiet washed out in place and a AWD with low clearance would have struggled . We exited the park to the south to Cania Gorge . A couple of photo's here https://photos.app.goo.gl/9kD76CpwnvncJmtFA
FollowupID: 918431

Follow Up By: Genny - Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 23:18

Sunday, Feb 06, 2022 at 23:18
When exiting the park to the south, if you turn left, then right at the next intersection, it takes you down through the old Monal Goldfields. Track from Kroombit down to Monal road can be pretty ordinary, and Monal road has a pretty steep dirt road range that can be pretty ordinary too. Left onto Dooloo Tops road off Monal Road, and just after descending another steep range, you wind up down at the old Glassford Creek copper refinery. Two 100+ year old chimney's still standing (maybe not for long). Continue on to Monto - Many Peaks road. Only the last road is in any way suitable for towing, and there is a steep range on it too.
FollowupID: 918433

Sponsored Links