Satellite phone

Submitted: Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 12:56
ThreadID: 143203 Views:6136 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, this question may have been asked in the past but looking for an updated answer. I have a sat ph that I run a Telstra sim on a plan, this works for me and works well. A people still doing this as I was in a Telstra shop the other day and overheard the salesman tell a person that Telstra a looking at closing this loop hole. I have heard rumours of this over the years but not from the horse's mouth so to speak. I need to update my phone as well (Motorola 9505) so may have to bite the bullet and get a the legal plan when I buy a new phone
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 13:31

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 13:31
Hello

I seem to remember one or two people stating on the forum that their Telstra Sims have stopped working in sat phones but mine still works ($10 plan) so no idea what is going on - they (Telstra) obviously haven't turned off the option yet (for some at least) which I am sure could be easy to do if they wanted (but yes, an assumption). Also do not think there is anything "illegal" about it.

Anyway - up to you what course of action you take. If Telstra Sims continue to work using that option will depend largely on how often you use it as it is vey expensive compared to "normal" sat phone plan, but very much cheaper if you are just saving for emergencies. If you buy a new phone and get a good plan included that may work, depends on costs. I would just keep using the Telstra sim (new phone or not ) until such time as it stops working , then research other plans.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639373

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 15:09

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 15:09
Both my $10 plan and normal number stopped working. I changed both for new sims.

I suspect that if you have a new generation SIM it won't work.

Don't lose your old sim if it works.
FollowupID: 918442

Follow Up By: R&M (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 16:46

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 16:46
Yes still got the old sim, as we travel the outback it is only for emergency. A lot cheaper than sat plan
FollowupID: 918443

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 19:31

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 19:31
Assuming you could afford it, can you use a sat phone just like a normal smart phone ? Go on Facebook, do banking etc ?
FollowupID: 918446

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 20:24

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 20:24
Gronk,

I just looked at a vid on Youtube from Robert Pepper discussing such things. Short answer is no, text and email only via satphone data. Browsing, internet banking, FB etc not practicable - too much data, too slow and too expensive.

He is testing Starlink, Elon Musk's (of Tesla) internet everywhere service. It is hugely fast but not yet full coverage in Australia, though worldwide full coverage is progressively being rolled out. Also, not really set up for mobile application: Pepper is adapting a fixed system designed for a home to work on the road. But a mobile system is under development. The speeds are startling. 200-300MB/s in the middle of the boondoo.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918449

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Feb 12, 2022 at 10:13

Saturday, Feb 12, 2022 at 10:13
Frank P, I know of someone who has been using Starlink as a mobile application for some time in both Canada & the US, & it is looking very promising. But as you say, coverage in Australia is new & limited to a relatively small area at the moment.

https://www.tuckstruck.net/truck-and-kit/geekery/starlink-for-overlanders/
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918489

Follow Up By: Member - Dick L - Saturday, Feb 12, 2022 at 13:49

Saturday, Feb 12, 2022 at 13:49
It appears a geomagnetic storm knock 40 of starlinks satellites out of the sky

https://www.republicworld.com/science/space/spacexs-starlink-satellites-hit-by-geomagnetic-storm-sequence-recorded-in-fiery-clip-articleshow.html
FollowupID: 918493

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 17:05

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 17:05
I have just been down the path of getting a new SIM for the $10 Telstra plan I run in my Iridium 9575 Extreme.
The only reason I needed a new SIM was because someone about my size lost the old one. Clearly I put it somewhere safe.
All I did was got a Telstra reseller to give me a SIM and set it up on the existing plan. It works just as well as it used to.
Maybe if I had changed the plan at the same time the outcome would have been different?

I tend to avoid Telstra shops. The staff are quite knowledgeable if you are 15 and into texting and social media on the latest iDroid handset. They aren't any good at remote communications. Resellers do this far better.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 639386

Follow Up By: R&M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 19:12

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 19:12
Haha sounds like you have done well to keep the $10 plan, as I did have that plan but they (Telstra) increased it to $25. So still in a slight dilemma to upgrade the phone as there is not support for the model Iridium 9505 even though still works fine
FollowupID: 918462

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 20:39

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2022 at 20:39
I thought about it after my original post, the $10 plan is a legacy business one.
Telstra resellers tend to be able to leave these sorts of plans alone if you have a good relationship with them and you don't take a handset.
Once you commit to a contracted plan with a handset there's no choice but to change to the one offered.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 918463

Reply By: JJAdv - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2022 at 03:20

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2022 at 03:20
I found on mine I could make a call, but I couldn't receive a call, no matter what number format the caller used.

I sold it and bought a Thuraya phone with a Pivotel $15 plan.. best thing I did, should have done it years ago.. Even better now as you can pause and start your plan at will.
AnswerID: 639391

Sponsored Links