Kalumburu - McGowan Island Beach or Honeymoon Bay

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 11:40
ThreadID: 143257 Views:5241 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
We're heading up to the Kimberley later this year for 6 or so weeks (yeah, I know - it's a flying visit!) and we will be heading up as far a Kalumburu.
I am trying to work out whether we should camp at McGowan Island Beach or Honeymoon Bay - does anyone have any suggestions/comments that might help me decide between the two?
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 12:17

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 12:17
We have stayed at both, but mostly at Honeymoon Beach (down at the beach, not up the top).
Both are fine, which was best for us was determined by who was running it at the time. I suggest you decide when you get there after talking to the hosts and having a look around at both.

ps... Irrespective of what the locals might tell you, there are crocs at both. No swimming.
We spent a couple of months up there each year from 2005 to 2008. The spectacular fishing needs a boat. There may be someone to take you out at either, if that is your thing. I preferred Honeymoon for fishing.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 639501

Reply By: NavaraNick - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 12:32

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 12:32
Thanks Peter -I appreciate the insight!
Cheers
AnswerID: 639502

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 13:06

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 13:06
There has been a history of animosity reported between the owners of the two places, but we saw none of that during our stay in 2019.

Mcgowan is a shorter distance from town than Honeymoon, & we stayed at McGowan. We were lucky to get a spot, the caretaker allowed us in as we had a mechanical issue, but was turning others away, & sending them on to Honeymoon. Over the course of a week or so, we met a number of folk who had returned from Honeymoon to Mcgowan with tales of poor quality, undrinkable water. We didn't go to Honeymoon ourselves & highly likely this was a temporary issue.

There were also bushfires when we were there, (had to risk driving through one on our way back from the old Kalmburu site). Mcgowans was well protected by the pre-season burns done around the site by the caretaker who was there then (Matt). Honeymoon had a more 'exciting' time with campers needing to join the firefighting efforts.

As Peter suggests, check it out when you get up there, situation could easily be reversed/different now.

Our blog from Kalumburu may offer a bit more info of interest.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639503

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 16:23

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 16:23
Nick, not sure if you are aware of the Covid restrictions with travelling beyond the Mitchell Plateau turn off?

I presume current situations are the same as last year. By rights a permit is required from the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley (Kununurra). You still need the Kalumburru Permit but you can't stop even for fuel, purely a transit permit.

We came out of the Oombie Track so didn't venture further north than the Carson River, but if we had the above would have been applicable.

Enjoy the trip and hope you have the same road conditions as we had, we copped it straight after the grader and it was like silk.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639505

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 21:59

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 21:59
What?? he's got an Island named after him now?

He must be the Messiah....

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639513

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 22:07

Thursday, Feb 17, 2022 at 22:07
Mcgowan Island named after the passing of a teacher who used to work in the Kalumburu community & was very well thought off & loved to go fishing from a small rocky island just off shore whenever he could.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 918594

Follow Up By: Kenell - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 07:43

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 07:43
He's not the Messiah - he's just a very naughty boy. There, someone had to say it.

On a serious note though - I have camped and fished a couple of times at McGowans. The fishing was incredible although we did venture out a bit and also up the river. One of the locals warned us to bait our hooks standing behind a tree. I even caught fish on a silver hook without bait. I haven't fished Honeymoon but I did experience the sandflies when we called in there for a visit.

It is also worth doing some research on the history of Kalumburu if you are going there. It is quite interesting.

Travel safe and enjoy.
FollowupID: 918597

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 03:53

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 03:53
One thing not mentioned was the sand flies at honeymoon bay but has far better fishing ! & charter boat operating out of there when we were up that way 2019 we stayed at McGowan and is a very pretty place we didn't have any problems w flies . But they do have a lack of water problem , limited space .. pay phone & little internet at office . Pre covid was a shop at klumbaru when the barge comes in from Darwin one day a week , the road into kalumburu is terrifically rough from GRR , many damaged cars trailer etc inc our suspension;(( but well worth the trip just the same..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639517

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 10:43

Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 10:43
There can be sandflies at either or both depending on the vageries of the weather.

We also spent some time volunteering at the Mission and were fortunate to get to know Father Anscar before he retired.
We helped to build the new museum which you should not miss.

And there are WW2 relics about.

This place deserves a couple of weeks rather than days.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 639521

Reply By: Members - North200 - Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 08:19

Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 at 08:19
McGowen Island is closed.
AnswerID: 639593

Sponsored Links