Munglinup Beach Camp Ground WA

Submitted: Friday, Feb 18, 2022 at 16:47
ThreadID: 143266 Views:6456 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone - We discovered this absolute gem of a campground 130 km west of Esperance and 59 Km from Hopetoun. Easy to get to if you don't mind a bit of gravel dust. Offering swimming, snorkelling, kayaking and beach combing - something for everyone. 15 sites on a first come basis - best to arrive early to secure a site.
Cheers Mike and Kendra
Munglinup Beach Campground WA
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Slopokin - Saturday, Feb 19, 2022 at 08:26

Saturday, Feb 19, 2022 at 08:26
Thanks Mike and Kendra
Looks like a beautiful place. Just a bit far from Townsville at the moment.
Regards John
AnswerID: 639537

Follow Up By: Mike & Kendra Cruisn1 - Saturday, Feb 19, 2022 at 19:00

Saturday, Feb 19, 2022 at 19:00
March the 3rd border opens - come on over WA open for business again !
FollowupID: 918624

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 09:11

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 09:11
The name of the place rang a bell, & the footage looked vaguely familiar.

Here is what I wrote about it 13 years ago.

"22nd January - 25th January 2009

As we drove westward out of Esperance we passed through predominantly farming country - grain, cattle & a few sheep. Turned south off the highway onto dirt roads to go to Munglinup Beach. A small council owned camp area ($10 per night) in the dunes, with composting toilets & bore water was to be our Australia Day holiday destination. We had no problem getting a site, but the vacant ones filled quickly after we had set up. Generators, quad bikes, mini bikes & mini quad bikes seemed popular amongst the other campers, making the ocean beach a little less peaceful than we would have wished for, but nevertheless there was plenty of space for all, & it was easy to find secluded spots in the dunes overlooking the ocean. Did I say "easy"? Hmm well, a slight exaggeration.......... finding secluded spots was easy, walking to them in the fine soft sand was hard work, our legs don't seem to have that 'low down torque' that they once had! Our time here persuaded us that a beach shelter to give us respite from the sun & wind would be worthwhile. Will look for one when we get to Albany. I had hoped to be able to fish in the nearby Oldfield River estuary, but unfortunately circumstances conspired to thwart me. I rode the Honda along the track to to the river, the 2 or 3 kms taking me around half an hour, & saw me totally knackered by the time I reached the river. The soft dry sand on the track meant very slow going & bloody hard work. When I stopped close to the estuary, I got off the bike & it remained standing by itself, no sidestand required in the deep sand. After further Herculean efforts to cross several steep dunes on foot, I reached the estuary, only to find it was very shallow & not flowing, a sand bar had closed it's exit to the ocean. Oh well, such is life! We had planned to stay here until after the public holiday, but found we had 'exhausted' potential activities (much of which exhausted us) & decided to leave on the morning of Australia Day. We walked the beach many times, played in the dunes & enjoyed laying on the rocks observing the antics of crabs. We had been told by friends that they considered Munglinup beach 'romantic'. Certainly we could understand this statement when lookin along the beach in the evening light, but obviously they had visited at a less busy & quieter time."
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639546

Reply By: ravi k1 - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 15:41

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 15:41
Munglinup beach holiday park is nestled between the river and the beach, you will need a car to visit either.
AnswerID: 639553

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 20:03

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 20:03
Yes, pretty much a standard requirement when touring in the remoter parts of Australia. Not that it's particularly remote, but there are no bus stops and few Ubers. LOL
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918642

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 20:22

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 20:22
Correction :) There is a bus service from Perth

Bus - Perth to Munglinup

You may have to hoof it to the beach.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 918643

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 21:55

Sunday, Feb 20, 2022 at 21:55
Blow me down with a feather! Looking at your link, does that go through to Esperance? Should have thought of that!

I suspect I was right about the Uber, though :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918647

Sponsored Links